Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 03:01 AM   #1

K5 Focus problems

I have used a Kr with Sigma 150 - 500 and the spot focus was always spot on. I bought a K5 last year and the spot autofocus is focusing on objects in front and to the side of the autofocus point ! This is very frustrating to say the least ............. any advice would be most welcome before the K5 goes up for sale.

06-08-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do not know if it is really a malfunction in your case, but the AF area on the K5 ( no info on the one on the Kr) is much larger than the little red dot in the centre of the frame would want one to believe and for me it is the only criticism about the K5 as well. You focus on a something with autofocus and post focus on, get the beep and the focus is spot on on something just to the side of what you have focused on, something within the camera's frame, but not the one you chose. I cannot say exactly how to fix this, but I use live view when I have time, but mostly shoot a few frames with varying areas of focus, and my problems are less. Also, having the latest firmware might make a difference as well

Otherwise, the K is just great
06-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
I do not know if it is really a malfunction in your case, but the AF area on the K5 ( no info on the one on the Kr) is much larger than the little red dot in the centre of the frame would want one to believe and for me it is the only criticism about the K5 as well. You focus on a something with autofocus and post focus on, get the beep and the focus is spot on on something just to the side of what you have focused on, something within the camera's frame, but not the one you chose. I cannot say exactly how to fix this, but I use live view when I have time, but mostly shoot a few frames with varying areas of focus, and my problems are less. Also, having the latest firmware might make a difference as well

Otherwise, the K is just great
Thanks Basie, that explains it so it will have to go and back to the Kr
06-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert Barnett Flash Quote
Thanks Basie, that explains it so it will have to go and back to the Kr
Just a suggestion...

Rather than giving up on the K-5, now that you know the AF area is a bit larger than you thought, why not adjust your technique to match?

Each camera requires some amount of adaptation to learn its quirks...that's part of the fun!

06-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

Sooo frustrating with K5 autofocus

Hello,

I understand your pain. I've had my K5 for a couple years now and love everything about it. For me it truly is the perfect camera in so many respects.... image quality, build, ergonomics, weather sealing, intuitive controls, user interface, etc. BUT, the autofocus situation, especially with certain lenses makes me want to, I don't know.... cry, throw it, switch to Canikon.

Most notably, based on dozens of rave reviews, I bought the prized 50-135mm 2.8 DA* understanding it wasn't THE fastest focusing lens out there, but reviewers seemed to think it would work for some "action" work. However, the keep rate is horrendous. I've read for hours and practiced technique (and improved!), but it shouldn't be this bad. For example, a friend with an ancient first-generation Canon Rebel and a kit telephoto and I stood side-by-side and shot the same scene with same settings (as much as possible). Of say, a hundred shots, 90% of hers had the subject in focus, whereas my rate was well below 50%. It was of a kids' baseball game, and we shot scenes with a variety of backgrounds.... outfield, baserunnning, batter's box, etc. Her shots had the batter in focus, but most of mine had the FENCE behind focus, and yes, I was using "spot focus," then tried multi-point. Often the subject was stationary (batter), so tracking wasn't the issue. This lens does hunt a lot. Focused on the same tiny point, it seems to change it's mind several times with every half-press of the shutter.

I blamed myself and my "technique" for a long time, and have worked hard enough to know it can't totally be me. Non-telephotos aren't as bad with the misfocus, but then again wider angles requires less precision. I am discouraged.

So here are my questions:
Could the K3 handle this better?
Does the K3 focus better with the 50-135mm DA*?
Which telephoto lens is faster and more accurate for focusing on action? Is there one for Pentax?

Please, I don't want to give up on this system. But when a 10-year old entry level Canon out performs in the focusing area, it doesn't matter if image quality and color rendition are beautiful if subject is rarely in focus.

Thank you for any helpful suggestions, especially regarding the K3 (and lens) which I would consider if it's a big improvement!

Pam
06-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Just a suggestion...

Rather than giving up on the K-5, now that you know the AF area is a bit larger than you thought, why not adjust your technique to match?

Each camera requires some amount of adaptation to learn its quirks...that's part of the fun!
Primarily used for wildlife so not really an option but thakks
06-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you determined that your k-5 is FF or BF? once you know that the lens you mounted on has FF/BF issue, you can try the camera with AF adjustment to correct that if possible unless it is out of the -+10 tolerance.

---------- Post added 06-09-2014 at 02:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Briton Quote

So here are my questions:
Could the K3 handle this better?
Does the K3 focus better with the 50-135mm DA*?
Which telephoto lens is faster and more accurate for focusing on action? Is there one for Pentax?

Please, I don't want to give up on this system. But when a 10-year old entry level Canon out performs in the focusing area, it doesn't matter if image quality and color rendition are beautiful if subject is rarely in focus.

Thank you for any helpful suggestions, especially regarding the K3 (and lens) which I would consider if it's a big improvement!

Pam
the k-3 definitely has better AF system than the k-5; even k-5II/s is already quite an improvement in that area. I agree 50-135 is a little slower than most other brands in similar category but still respectable if you can adjust to it. I tend to think the experience you encounter can be resolved largely with better focusing techniques than the equipment; please have a look at many threads in this forum on getting better in-focus photos.

06-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #8

Robert,

Didn't mean to butt into your thread, but it seems we have similar issues.

Aleon, this question was probably for OP, but I've tested the BF/FF before, plus this is my third copy of the lens. First copy seemed more than +/-10, and second copy was broken upon arrival. Plus, the face that it "sometimes" is accurate leads me to believe it's a system issue vs. purely one lens.

Thanks,

Pam
06-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #9

Makes me want to give up

I've read probably every post here about focusing technique. And practiced. Again and again. And yes, I've learned a LOT. But I'm at my wit's end, and please don't think my "new member" status indicates I've not combed this (and the other) forum for years' worth of invaluable tips. Plus, a few of the posts that claim great action photography have photos that are, well, not actually in focus. I hate being a pixel peeper, but my large monitor belies the truth.

Full-frame or not, why is it that almost no pro or semi-pro sports/wildlife/birding photogs use Pentax? Is is simply the lens line-up? Sorry.... just have been frustrated with this focus/lens situation for a long time. I'd love to give the K3 a try.

Thanks for your input,

Pam
06-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
I tried my lens on the kr body yesterday focusing on a hare's eye and the focus is spot on ! I wondered why I was getting so many duff shots since purchasing the K5 ! A lovely camera but no use for my line of photography so will be going on ebay ! As for no pros/semi-pros using Pentax, a lot of that is Canikon snobbery......there is a lot more camera for a lot less money with Pentax !!
06-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do other lenses focus correctly on the K5? I think you'd need to define the problem, it could be something easily fixed via service.
06-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Do other lenses focus correctly on the K5? I think you'd need to define the problem, it could be something easily fixed via service.
Yes and it is only about eight months old !
06-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've read probably every post here about focusing technique. And practiced. Again and again. And yes, I've learned a LOT. But I'm at my wit's end, and please don't think my "new member" status indicates I've not combed this (and the other) forum for years' worth of invaluable tips. Plus, a few of the posts that claim great action photography have photos that are, well, not actually in focus. I hate being a pixel peeper, but my large monitor belies the truth.
Full-frame or not, why is it that almost no pro or semi-pro sports/wildlife/birding photogs use Pentax?
So is your question why you often miss focus, or why other people posting here post OOF photos, or why most working sports/wildlife/birding photos use other than Pentax gear.

I know the answers to the last two and have no clue to the first.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-09-14 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I can take a stab at your three questions however:
  • The K-3 may be better, though much depends on the configuration and technique. In other words, no guarantees.
  • Your DA* 50-135/2.8 will probably not focus faster on the K-3 than on your K-5
  • Focus speed (time to acquire focus) may be faster with another lens, but AF accuracy is not a property of the lens
What a bunch of bull, eh? Sorry for the waffle words and vague generalities. It is hard to say, but you might have done better at the ball game with a kit zoom similar to the one your friend was using. She had the benefit of greater DOF and less glass to move and even the older Rebels had decent AF.

Perhaps Ron Hendriks will weigh in on this thread. He shoots sport with Pentax gear and does a good job at it and is currently shooting with a K-3. Oh, and in regards to the OOF posts and pixel peeping...Even the pros' work does not stand up to close scrutiny. Marginally missed focus is the rule, not the exception for most action photography.

You may be interested in miguel's post comparing his experience with the Canon 7D vs K-3.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242969-sports-images-k-3-a.html#post2583905

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-09-2014 at 05:48 PM.
06-17-2014, 01:30 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So is your question why you often miss focus, or why other people posting here post OOF photos, or why most working sports/wildlife/birding photos use other than Pentax gear.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-09-14 at 05:43 PM ----------

I can take a stab at your three questions however:
  • The K-3 may be better, though much depends on the configuration and technique. In other words, no guarantees.
  • Your DA* 50-135/2.8 will probably not focus faster on the K-3 than on your K-5
  • Focus speed (time to acquire focus) may be faster with another lens, but AF accuracy is not a property of the lens
What a bunch of bull, eh? Sorry for the waffle words and vague generalities. It is hard to say, but you might have done better at the ball game with a kit zoom similar to the one your friend was using. She had the benefit of greater DOF and less glass to move and even the older Rebels had decent AF.

Perhaps Ron Hendriks will weigh in on this thread. He shoots sport with Pentax gear and does a good job at it and is currently shooting with a K-3. Oh, and in regards to the OOF posts and pixel peeping...Even the pros' work does not stand up to close scrutiny. Marginally missed focus is the rule, not the exception for most action photography.

You may be interested in miguel's post comparing his experience with the Canon 7D vs K-3.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242969-sports-images-k-3-a.html#post2583905

Steve
I agree
08-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #15

Original Poster
Ok I have had the camera tested and focus adjusted and calibrated by Pentax....and it has made no difference ! Still focusing in front I do not understand how to use the focus adjust in camera so any help would be appreciated before it goes on Ebay !