Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

hi all new pentax fan

hi all

i'm just getting into photography again after a bit of an absence , i use a camera mainly for product shots , iv'e just used a compact camera for last
few years after not needing a dslr as product shots were not that important.

anyway i sold my d40 perhaps 2-3 years ago after down grading from d90 prior to that (bit of back ground info )

i was intending this time around on buying the d7000 , it was always on my mind back then but was very expensive , but after recent researching and doing on-line camera comparisons , these pentax cameras keep coming out on top especially for all my needs and are better priced as well

sorry i have no experience with pentax but the more i learn the better they sound .

im after a good dslr and a good small compact camera system .

I now think im going to go with either the

K20D or the K-30 (probably K-30 as its a cheaper but better spec d7000 imo ) it would of been the K5 but the K30 looks real nice
and cheaper.

also the pentax Q system looks a good little camera too in fact its one of the best looking and most useful looking cameras
ive ever seen and is a definite as soon as possible purchase .

anyway great forum , not sure what im asking here , any feedback on my choices apreciated .

samples of product shots taken with k-30 would be nice too , ill go search forum now !!

---------- Post added 06-08-14 at 03:23 PM ----------

i know what i was going to ask !!

what is the in-camera VR like , this would be my only concern after having at least 3 Nikon vr lens fail , if the VR was to break in camera........

06-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't remember ever hearing of the SR breaking down . Usually the concern is the sound like something loose when the camera is turned off and shook. That is normal
Welcome to the Forums
06-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
pqx

I can only contribute on the Q out of your choices. Yes it is a great camera, original Q being made from (Magnesium alloy), the Q10/Q7 are not.

Its a good choice when you need more than just an iPhone/Mobile to capture more action/motion or being there shots with DSLR abilities. There's also video of which you can capture 25min footage per-session then pick out individual frames for post-prod.

Battery life well, i will never be happy when compared with a Nikon i owned which 1 battery would stayed charged for around 30 days. Anyways, there is an optional DC-Coupler which goes in place of the battery with a lead that comes out to power it for doing things like Timelapse (Interval recording).

Its a go anywhere camera, and i find that the smaller the lens the more likely it will be in your pocket EVERYWHERE you go! Happy choosing and welcome.
06-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to forum.

If you want to make products photography, I think that a DSLR is the best choice, because you can choose the proper lens for your product from a much larger range of lenses, some dedicated for macro. If it's a K-30, or a K-5, or K-5 II, or K-50, all has the same sensor. K-5 IIs is a little different, because has no AA filter, and this help for better resolution, but sometimes can't be good for textiles. K-3 is even better, but its price is much higher. Anyway, for product photo, more important are the lenses, and the lights..

06-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Ok, howdy and glad to have you with us.

I think by VR you're referring to what is called Shake Reduction or Image Stabilization usually. With Pentax it's built into the camera, not the lens. That means no more paying for it every time you buy a lens. I've had a K-x and now a K30, no problems with either. IT also means even with 40 year old manual lenses from previous film cameras, you still have shake reduction available and it works. That's why you'll hear something clunk inside the camera if you turn it over. No reason to worry, it's normal and they have a thread about it somewhere around here.

There is also a thread for pictures taken with the K30, since it's one you mentioned being interested in,

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/192015-post-your-k-30-photos-here.html

that may give you an idea what its capabilities are. I have one, love it. Most of the first 3 pages of my Flickr page were taken with it. (shameless plug )

I agree a DSLR will probably be your best bet for product photography, for the same reason, great assortment of lenses to choose from to suit your purposes. I highly recommend the K30, mine has been excellent. Get the AA battery adapter, it's worth it.

As far as compact cameras go, I've never used any of the Pentax compacts yet, can't help you there...
06-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wertyu2007 Quote
i use a camera mainly for product shots
Product shots...as in commercial product photography? Or do you mean something like taking pictures for your eBay auctions?

The K-30 would be entirely appropriate for the latter. For the former, I would go with nothing less than the K-3 with FluCard for tethering.

EDIT: Where are my manners?!? I forgot to say hello, and welcome!

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-08-2014 at 06:55 PM.
06-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wertyu2007 Quote
hi all

also the pentax Q system looks a good little camera too in fact its one of the best looking and most useful looking cameras
ive ever seen and is a definite as soon as possible purchase .

Now's your chance, click on price to view - $286.59 + free shipping:

Pentax Q7 Compact Mirrorless Camera Body (Silver) 11509 B&H
06-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The K20D is too far behind in sensor technology, so it's not great at higher ISOs. It also doesn't have live view or movie stuff, and its rear screen is lower resolution. It will still take great still shots but it's five years behind in tech.

Pentax has used SR in all their DSLRs for 8 years and it has been extremely reliable.