Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like everyone missed one of the biggest differences-the K-50 has focus peaking, the K-5ii does not (don't know about the K-500). If you like manual glass, focus peaking is super useful. Get focus about right, switch on live view, move the camera back and forth a little to get the focus exactly where you want it, and bam! Great manual focus skills even with (slowly) moving subjects.

06-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K500 has focus peaking too. It's not really explained in the manual, only mentioned really in footnotes on other things.
06-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
while out travelling I have finally come to appreciate the value of a camera that takes regular AA batteries. I was all set on upgrading to a K5ii, but I have now changed my mind. I will go for the k50.

Not a huge deal for a studio-bound person, but a biggie for someone like me hiking/biking/whatever. The ability to go into a petrol station to make possible a few more shots is very handy.

---------- Post added 06-12-14 at 02:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Looks like everyone missed one of the biggest differences-the K-50 has focus peaking, the K-5ii does not (don't know about the K-500). If you like manual glass, focus peaking is super useful. Get focus about right, switch on live view, move the camera back and forth a little to get the focus exactly where you want it, and bam! Great manual focus skills even with (slowly) moving subjects.

Much better than trusting focus confirmation.
06-12-2014, 06:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
while out travelling I have finally come to appreciate the value of a camera that takes regular AA batteries. I was all set on upgrading to a K5ii, but I have now changed my mind. I will go for the k50.
In case you didn't know by adding a D-BG4 or knock off you can not only add extended battery usage to the K7, K5, K5 ll or K5 lls via a second lithium battery but it also comes with a AA battery holder to use instead, and via the camera's menu you can select what usage to give priority to, both , the camera battery or grip battery. Plus you have to take into consideration the Lithium battery for the K5 ll is around 980 shots verses around 410 for the K50, you will use up a lot more batteries on the 50 than you would for the K5 ll, lithium or AA. Carrying 2-4 extra lithium's will handle a lot photos on the K5 ll.

For the OP... For what your stating you are considering upgrading for, either the K500 or K50 work suit your purposes well just for the improved low light focusing, improved dynamic range and improved higher ISO noise performance but I would only suggest doing that if your current camera isn't taking pictures satisfactorily enough for your purposes overall.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-12-2014 at 06:50 AM.
06-13-2014, 01:57 AM   #20
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
In case you didn't know by adding a D-BG4 or knock off you can not only add extended battery usage to the K7, K5, K5 ll or K5 lls via a second lithium battery but it also comes with a AA battery holder to use instead, and via the camera's menu you can select what usage to give priority to, both , the camera battery or grip battery. Plus you have to take into consideration the Lithium battery for the K5 ll is around 980 shots verses around 410 for the K50, you will use up a lot more batteries on the 50 than you would for the K5 ll, lithium or AA. Carrying 2-4 extra lithium's will handle a lot photos on the K5 ll.

For the OP... For what your stating you are considering upgrading for, either the K500 or K50 work suit your purposes well just for the improved low light focusing, improved dynamic range and improved higher ISO noise performance but I would only suggest doing that if your current camera isn't taking pictures satisfactorily enough for your purposes overall.
True, and I did take into account all the factors you mentioned. With a battery grip it gets way too bulky for me.
06-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Either way you won't go wrong.. Owning both cameras I appreciate the setup, longer battery life, along with a host of other things with the K5 lls over my K50. The battery grip helps me as the camera fits my hand easier plus I like having the vertical buttons. A couple other things I don't miss using my K5 over the K 50 is the shutter noise and the loud dust reduction that sounds and feels like it's shaking the camera apart. As far as focus peaking it doesn't mean much to me, I learned along time ago with my Oly digital's to use Live View Zoom to manually adjust my focus effectively.
06-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #22

I was in the same shoes as you. I own a K100D and last winter I considered to upgrade to a newer Pentax SLR. I read a lot of comparison about K5-IIs and K50 but finally I made my decision: K50 and it was a good decision. It's weather sealed, comfortable to hold, bright led aid in low light condition, li-ion battery lasts for long but you can still use AA batteries etc. The picture quality compared to K100D is much better. I wouldn't recommend the K500 for you. Only a "few" extra bucks and you get a more professional SLR feeling with K50.

K5-IIs cost $500 more than the K50 and the only important difference (for me) is the microphone plug. Even the K50 has a lot of features those I don't/rarely use: artificial horizon, live view.

Last words for m42 lens. I own an old Helios 44-2 F2 58mm with m42 thread and that worked nicely on K100D body in manual mode. Mirror lockup was a cool feature on K100D. But on K50 I can't find mirror lockup function and I have to use m42 lens in AV mode. It's not a problem but I need to get used to it.

Please share your thoughts after you make your decision.

Last edited by everysecondiwaste; 06-15-2014 at 10:55 PM.
06-15-2014, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by everysecondiwaste Quote
Last words for m42 lens. I own an old Helios 44-2 F2 50mm with m42 thread and that worked nicely on K100D body in manual mode. Mirror lockup was a cool feature on K100D. But on K50 I can't find mirror lockup function and I have to use m42 lens in AV mode. It's not a problem but I need to get used to it.
I don't have a k50, but afaik the mirror lockup is the same as the k100d, it's part of the 2 second timer but just not mentioned in the k50's manual. The k5ii has a much better mirror lockup- one click to lock the mirror, one more click to take the shot (allowing an arbitrary amount of time to pass between lock up and shot).
06-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #24

I'd say go with the K5ii it is a fantastic camera.
On the other hand the K50 does the same job as the k5ii, plus it has focus peaking courtesy of the new processor.
06-16-2014, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apost. Quote
I'd say go with the K5ii it is a fantastic camera.
On the other hand the K50 does the same job as the k5ii, plus it has focus peaking courtesy of the new processor.
My K50 is a very good camera but it does not do the same job as good as my K5 lls. AFAIC I would not base my purchase on focus peaking alone. However if the European market isn't receiving the same discounted price and there is still A $500.00 difference than I wouldn't go with the K5 lls, not with the K3 being out now.
06-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
My K50 is a very good camera but it does not do the same job as good as my K5 lls. AFAIC I would not base my purchase on focus peaking alone. However if the European market isn't receiving the same discounted price and there is still A $500.00 difference than I wouldn't go with the K5 lls, not with the K3 being out now.
True, focus peaking is handy, but nothing groundbreaking.
I was referring to the k5ii not the k5iis.
The k50 does 95% the things the k5ii does.
Especially now that tha k3 is out the k5ii or k5iis for that matter) is a real bargain.

Last edited by Apost.; 06-25-2014 at 09:02 AM.
06-24-2014, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

I had the K100D Super for the longest time and felt that the K50 is the upgrade I was waiting for. I got the one with the 18-135 WR bundle. I really like the K50 and feel that like my previous K100D Super, it would take a while before I upgrade again with the features that come with this (K50) DSLR.
I still use the K100D Super occasionally, though, as it is my first love DSLR!
K50 is also newer than the K5II/s. If you want a battery grip then opt for the K5II/s.
I love my K50. =)