Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #1

K-50 or K-500 or K-5 II

Hi All,

I have a K100D Super and i have collected decent no.of of old manual lenses (around 10). I haven't used my Pentax a lot and still a beginner. I am blessed with a baby boy and need a decent camera (In no way i am suggesting K100D is not decent i one knows hot to use it. I am still learning).

I am trying to upgrade my camera as it has only 6MP (Not sure whether i need to upgrade !!). I am only looking to buy Pentax DSLR as i have invested in getting M42 and PK Mount lenses.

The models i am interested in are K-500 , K-50 and K-5 II (might be slightly out of my price range).

Really appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

06-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

The K50 is WR and the K5II has ISO 80, WR and 14 bit RAW. If you can get a deal on the K5IIs you get even sharper pics. All have a great sensor.
06-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 II / IIs vs. Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-500 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

The K5 II is probably overkill, and has a higher learning curve.

The only real differences between the K-50 and K-500 are the lack of WR and illuminated viewfinder focus points on the K-500.

B&H has a very good deal on the K-500 right now.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/265058-pentax-k-500-379-a.html
06-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mars76 Quote
(Not sure whether i need to upgrade !!).
Other than only having 6MP, what isn't the camera doing for you? Only upgrade if there's a need to or you want to.

06-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

If the major reason for upgrading from your current camera is to take baby pictures, then I think I'm with JohnX with this one; What can't you get with the K100D that the K5/50/500 will let you achieve. If its just an upgrade, but you want to use the camera to document the next years of your baby's life, then I don't think the upgrade is going to do much for you. 6MP is enough for 5x7s if you are going to print and its definitely enough for online sharing.

However, I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade at all. The thing you should upgrade right now (this is not knowing if you have these things in your gear list) is your lighting. Invest in a good flash or two (there are affordable options from Yongnuo, the 560III is a great option), maybe some triggers and a reflector. That alone will exponentially improve your photography, and it will be much less than buying a brand new camera. Add to that a solid tripod, and you'll be fine.

That's my opinion based on your needs. If you aren't going to take full advantage of the upgrade, meaning new features not found on the K100D, then a new camera wont feel much different than your current one.
06-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DarCam Quote
If the major reason for upgrading from your current camera is to take baby pictures, then I think I'm with JohnX with this one; What can't you get with the K100D that the K5/50/500 will let you achieve.
Low light ability, faster burst, video, time lapse, better autofocus, weather resistance (K-50 & K-5), etc.
06-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The only real differences between the K-50 and K-500 are the lack of WR and illuminated viewfinder focus points on the K-500.
Those two differences won't matter with manual focus lenses - they aren't WR and the only active focus point is the center one. You only see real benefits from WR if you get at least the WR kit lens. I like having a WR body, 18-55 WR and a 50-200 WR for weather, but I got along fine without it for years, and even now, it just adds piece of mind. And it's sometimes cool to see other people's reactions when water spills on your camera and you don't care.

QuoteOriginally posted by DarCam Quote
... 6MP is enough for 5x7s if you are going to print and its definitely enough for online sharing.
I have several 20x30 prints and so far, no one can tell which one is from my 6Mp camera and which are 14Mp (K-7). But it has to be a technically great 6Mp shot to work. More pixels mean a lot more flexibility about cropping, other processing and print size.

QuoteQuote:
However, I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade at all. The thing you should upgrade right now (this is not knowing if you have these things in your gear list) is your lighting. Invest in a good flash or two (there are affordable options from Yongnuo, the 560III is a great option), maybe some triggers and a reflector. That alone will exponentially improve your photography, and it will be much less than buying a brand new camera. Add to that a solid tripod, and you'll be fine.

That's my opinion based on your needs. If you aren't going to take full advantage of the upgrade, meaning new features not found on the K100D, then a new camera wont feel much different than your current one.
I like the flash and tripod advice. No DSLR is going to just produce amazing shots by itself, so in any case, learning to use it to get those shots is necessary. The newer cameras just add some tools to make life easier. The rear screen is a lot better. Live view is useful. Movies might be useful. The high ISO adds flexibility. Metering is better with new lenses, but with old lenses, it's the same. Other "new lens only features" apply. There's some extra features like interval timer and multi-exposure. The sensor is less likely to get dust spots. You get a second dial but with older lenses, it has limited use. More battery options, more JPG options, some stuff you won't use, a bit heavier.
06-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The sensor is less likely to get dust spots.
How did you conclude this? Even a WR body is no longer WR when you change lenses.

06-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

I already have a decent tripod and will get a Flash. Most of the issues i have with my current setup is low light setting in my house.

Regarding the flash : I have an Olympus TTL Flash, not sure whether it will work with Pentax (probably not).

I will continue to experiment with my current setup.

Again thanks a lot ..
06-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
How did you conclude this? Even a WR body is no longer WR when you change lenses.
The K100D has no dust removal options like shaking the sensor or improved coatings on the AA filter. I suppose they have exactly the same chance to get dust spots, just the newer cameras have more tools to shake it off.
06-10-2014, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd go for the K-50, as there's currently a really nice deal on it:
Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera Body, Black, Bundle w/Adorama $50 Gift Certificate 10883 A

You get the camera plus a AF200FG Pentax flash ($100 value), a bag, and a $50 gift card for your next purchase- since it sounds like you want a more powerful external flash that works, this might be the kit for you. You can also bundle the Pentax DA 50mm lens (great for portraits and baby shots) for $116 more, and you can continue using your existing lenses just like on the K100D.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The K100D has no dust removal options like shaking the sensor or improved coatings on the AA filter. I suppose they have exactly the same chance to get dust spots, just the newer cameras have more tools to shake it off.
Agreed, but I've found the dust removal option to be of little practical use. All it does is shake the (loose) dust particles from the sensor, leaving them at the bottom of the sensor chamber - only to be attracted like magnets to the sensor again the next time it's energized.

My K-3, K100D, and my wife's K-50 all need regular use of a rocket blower, and occasionally a sable brush to get rid of dust.
06-10-2014, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mars76 Quote
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

I already have a decent tripod and will get a Flash. Most of the issues i have with my current setup is low light setting in my house.

Regarding the flash : I have an Olympus TTL Flash, not sure whether it will work with Pentax (probably not).

I will continue to experiment with my current setup.

Again thanks a lot ..
A lot of people (including me) dismiss flash right away, because flash can produce awful results. You can avoid it for a while by shooting at high ISO, and the new cameras are good at that. But just a handful of flash skills and inexpensive (in camera terms) stuff can make your shots a lot better.

Two main things make flash shots suck. The biggest is flash direction: the flash is right next to the lens and pointed exactly the same way. That creates unnatural lighting, unexpected reflections and redeye. The second is no balance between the flash brightness and the background, so the shot has black corner shadows and a blindingly white center.

I bought the best auto-everything Pentax flash, but I wouldn't do that again. The auto settings can't really be totally auto, which is what I wanted and paid extra for. Also, unless I use a lens with electrical contacts (autofocus or A-series), none of that automation works. I think I'd just learn more about flash and get the Yonguo manual flash. Flash is ultimately about lighting and control, and adds to your natural light skills too.

I can show you a couple of examples. These aren't awesome, just demonstrations of techniques. The first uses the on-camera flash to fill in and freeze action. This was in the daytime in winter with a 28mm lens. I set the camera to M mode, f5.6 for depth of field shutter speed to 1/30, ISO up to 200 to make the camera more sensitive to natural light. My settings were just a guess at a starting point - aperture for depth of field, shutter speed to reduce motion blur but let in ambient light, ISO for ambient light. In M mode with a modern lens, the on-camera flash will try to add light to the shot until it thinks it added enough. Being fairly close, the flash had enough power to do this. You can see some shadows indicating flash use but they are subtle:

IMGS7133
by just1moredave, on Flickr

This shot was at dusk with a fisheye lens at 10mm. The lens has an extremely wide field of view, much wider than any flash. I wanted to take the shot from exactly here, but the loader was lit from the front and there was a deep shadow from this angle. So I put the camera on a tripod and chose some settings to give me a long shutter speed without overexposing the left center of the shot where there was a spotlight. Then I experimented with holding my flash in my hand, walking along the length of the loader and firing it several times. I tried to cover the shadowed parts evenly without hitting a lot of parts that were already in the light. This was my third try, looking at previous ones and adjusting flash power and aim. I could have used almost any flash for this.

IMGT3769
by just1moredave, on Flickr

This is just scratching the surface with flash.
06-10-2014, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

while out travelling I have finally come to appreciate the value of a camera that takes regular AA batteries. I was all set on upgrading to a K5ii, but I have now changed my mind. I will go for the k50.
06-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Learning how to use flashes and a little bit about lighting can yield a much larger improvement than a new camera will. If you're willing to go the manual flash route, you can get some fantastic results with pretty cheap equipment. Lighting equipment/skills will travel with you if you do eventually decide to upgrade.

Since you seem open to the idea that you have more to learn, you might consider posting some pictures and explaining what you don't like about them and how you feel your k100d let you down. Some problems can be overcome by upgrading the camera and some by upgrading the photographer. We can probably help determine which parts need upgrading.