Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Removal of lens from K2000

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I was given a Sears f-4.0-5.6, 60-300mm lens. This morning I decided to give it a try. I attached it to my K2000, took a few shots, then tried to remove the lens. YIKES! I can't get it to come off the camera body. I'm hoping that someone can give me directions on how to remove this thing. PLEASE.... HELP ME!

If I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize. I'm a newbie and still learning the ropes.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer,
Dewman

06-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The culprit is likely the Ricoh Pin. See this thread for details:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46816-all-r...ens-stuck.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Definitely the Ricoh pin, I have one of those and it had the pin. Pretty decent lens for what it is, really good close focus capability at 300mm.
06-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I read all the replies to the previous thread about the Ricoh pin problem. I tried "forcing it," as much as I felt comfortable with, being scared to death that I was going to ruin the body itself. No luck, which seems to be the case with lots of things in my life as of late! Anyway, the detach button appears to be not all the way popped out and not all the way in. Hmmm.... I'm at a loss. Perhaps I'll take it to the local camera shop in Boise tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Thanks for the information. I'll know better next time. Obviously, I'm a novice, but experience is the best teacher..... I suppose.

Dewman,
Idaho

06-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

It takes some wiggling and sometimes flipping the AF switch ON/OFF to coax that pin out of the AF drive hole.

The good news is it should never happen again because you'll always check for that pin when getting another 3rd party lens.
06-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feeler gauge slipped in between lens and body is supposed to be effective. Sorry

Steve
06-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yahoooooo! I did it! I feel like I hit the lottery! I kept twisting "on and off" and, BINGO! While I realize that many on the forum have lenses alone that cost many times what I paid for my entire K2000 kit, I have learned to love it, it being my very first DSLR. I was absolutely heart-broken, thinking I had done irreperable damage to my camera. I was bummed all day, moping around like my wife just told me she was divorcing me and had been seeing another man. But, all is good and I can sleep well tonight. I'm stoked!

Now, I've got to do some research to see how to remove these pesky Ricoh pins.

As a side note, I thought, "Well, while I've got it stuck on the camera, I might as well take some photos with it." I must say, I was very pleased with the results, although I didn't spend a lot of time with it. The lens was pristine, in it's original box with all the paperwork, etc. But.... it's like a pretty girl that has jilted me!

Thanks again for all your advice.

Dewman
Idaho

06-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Now, I've got to do some research to see how to remove these pesky Ricoh pins.
That one is really easy, just take the 4 mount screws off and remove the mount. The pin has a little bracket over it with a resistor attached to a screw. Make sure you don't remove the other pin, that one is necessary for automated metering with Pentax. The resistor isn't necessary for Pentax either.

These things have some pretty serious "zoom creep", but one of those thick vegetable rubber bands works perfectly.

This was at 300mm and f8.
06-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That one is really easy, just take the 4 mount screws off and remove the mount. The pin has a little bracket over it with a resistor attached to a screw. Make sure you don't remove the other pin, that one is necessary for automated metering with Pentax. The resistor isn't necessary for Pentax either.

These things have some pretty serious "zoom creep", but one of those thick vegetable rubber bands works perfectly.

This was at 300mm and f8.
I'm going to try and remove the pin but I'm going to wait for delivery of the #0 screwdriver I ordered. It appears as if this cheapo lens has some good potential, as your photo shows. Is this a common trait with most Sears lenses? Mine was made in Korea. Any idea who the manufacturer is/was? Also, where can one purchase these "thick vegetable rubber bands" you spoke of? Thanks for your help, Elliott.
Dewman
06-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm going to try and remove the pin but I'm going to wait for delivery of the #0 screwdriver I ordered. It appears as if this cheapo lens has some good potential, as your photo shows. Is this a common trait with most Sears lenses? Mine was made in Korea. Any idea who the manufacturer is/was? Also, where can one purchase these "thick vegetable rubber bands" you spoke of? Thanks for your help, Elliott.
Dewman

I think the vegetable rubber bands come from the supermarket - the vegetables must be taken away from the shop to get them.

In Australia the post office use wide thick strong rubber bands when they deliver a pile of 3 or more letters. They bend the items enclosed in the rubber band.

Those of us with parents from the 30s are used to this kind of behaviour.
06-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #11

Instead of the Veg rubber band you can use a silicone/rubber bracelet. They sell them on eBbay as a Lens Band. I bet you can find them at the dollar store or as freebees at a lot of events. I'm going to raid my kids stash this weekend for a few. Between the two of them they probably have 150 of them things.

If your Sears lens is like my Pro Optics 70-210 it will only take about 5 min to remove that pin. I did it while sitting on the couch watching TV one night.
06-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I think the vegetable rubber bands come from the supermarket - the vegetables must be taken away from the shop to get them.

In Australia the post office use wide thick strong rubber bands when they deliver a pile of 3 or more letters. They bend the items enclosed in the rubber band.

Those of us with parents from the 30s are used to this kind of behaviour.
Well DUH! When I read "Vegetable rubber bands," I was thinking they were made of some kind of vegetable rubber! Too much time in the sun!
06-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Is this a common trait with most Sears lenses? Mine was made in Korea. Any idea who the manufacturer is/was?
Sears lenses in general are good, check out the Sears Lens Club. I believe the Korean made Sears lenses were made by Samyang. I have a Sears 135mm f2.8 "Macro Zone" that was made in Korea that is also a decent performer, but with an interesting glowing soft focus effect when the "macro" mode is enabled.

I got my 60-300mm in a lot with some other stuff, I wasn't expecting much out of it but it definitely impressed me. They don't have much of a reputation and they are plentiful, so they never sell for much, they are a good value.