Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photography Insurance, in case some gets hurts

I know their in insurance for your gear but does anyone get insurance just in case someone slips or falls and gets hurt?

06-14-2014, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's called business liability insurance , and if you are a pro, with a business you should have it. If you are looking to insure yourself, against injury and loss of income, I believe there is also coverage as part of that. But it is not cheap.
06-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can get personal umbrella coverage that insures you for just about anything anyone could sue you for.
01-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

If you are a Professional and someone gets hurt while you are on a shoot, you need Commercial Liability Insurance

01-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My photography equipment insurance has this professional liability coverage. It also has automatic coverage for computers & network equipment.

Do a search for photography insurance. There are many options I found that cover all of the above, but prices fluctuate broadly based on where you live.

(You can PM me for my insurer.)
01-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
My photography equipment insurance has this professional liability coverage. It also has automatic coverage for computers & network equipment.

Do a search for photography insurance. There are many options I found that cover all of the above, but prices fluctuate broadly based on where you live.

(You can PM me for my insurer.)
You have a package policy, property plus liability.
01-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have home or auto insurance, see if they offer it.
My insurance company was quite helpful in suggesting the types of insurance I would and would not need for the type of business I do.
e.g. Amount of coverage for equipment. Liability, etc... Also, I don't do weddings, so I don't need the higher cost insurance related to that type of business.

Not that I don't trust insurance companies, but they are in the business of keeping their money.... I would do some amount of homework so you're not sold more or less than you need.
01-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6tagrenner Quote
If you are a Professional and someone gets hurt while you are on a shoot, you need Commercial Liability Insurance
in many states, this situation also requires workers compensation insurance. here in AZ, if you are paying anyone to do anything for you Worker's Comp is required, either your Sub (Model) must have it, or you must provide it. if you get audited, you will be fined x amount based on the amount of money you paid her (and/or other models)

Business Liability is more for lawsuits and negligence not directly related to the performance of duties said contractor is being paid to perform. For example, if a model is standing on a box, and the box breaks and she breaks her nose, worker's comp would cover the medical bills. if her broken nose prevents her from working again as a model, she may sue you and your business liability would cover the lawsuit (because she is technically NOT disabled and could be gainfully employed in some fashion, worker's comp and disability (ssi etc) will not kick in). Your business liability may also cover any medical expenses not covered by workers comp in the event of extensive injuries, but the injured party would have to sue you for them.

01-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
in many states, this situation also requires workers compensation insurance. here in AZ, if you are paying anyone to do anything for you Worker's Comp is required, either your Sub (Model) must have it, or you must provide it. if you get audited, you will be fined x amount based on the amount of money you paid her (and/or other models)

Business Liability is more for lawsuits and negligence not directly related to the performance of duties said contractor is being paid to perform. For example, if a model is standing on a box, and the box breaks and she breaks her nose, worker's comp would cover the medical bills. if her broken nose prevents her from working again as a model, she may sue you and your business liability would cover the lawsuit (because she is technically NOT disabled and could be gainfully employed in some fashion, worker's comp and disability (ssi etc) will not kick in). Your business liability may also cover any medical expenses not covered by workers comp in the event of extensive injuries, but the injured party would have to sue you for them.
I think workers comp is a function of the business arrangement. If you are paying someone full time as an employee typically you, the employer, must do it , but if you are paying someone who freelances or is otherwise what would be considered self employed, they in what ever their business arrangement is should be paying it, because the freelance person, being self employed, in fact has his own business, and worker comp should be paid so he is insured by his company. The self employed person should be setting things like this aside, out of their fees, but sadly most dont
01-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6tagrenner Quote
You have a package policy, property plus liability.
Yes, and it's specifically tailored towards photographers. There are several players in the photography insurance niche who offer, at various price/protection points, similar coverage.

The plus for this type of coverage is that they cover all your listed cameras/lenses but also most scenarios involved in photography. (A big omission with almost all of them is drone-based/aerial photography.)