Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 file error

I am experiencing many problems with my K-7. Recently, while shooting, it will save most pictures, but will randomly drop a picture. The message that appears on the lcd on back states "file can not be accessed". I will also get a random "memory card is full" message, which will stop me from further shooting. I can continue shooting after shutting off the camera and turning it back on. The random picture dropping continues. My most recent photo shoot also drained both batteries (using the optional battery grip) after shooting 200 shots (jpeg files).

Am I looking at a "firmware" issue? Or is the camera telling me it's time to upgrade?

Any input would help me move in the right direction.

Eric

06-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you formatted your card recently? If not, that'll probably solve the problem.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep, sounds like a card error to me.
06-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It continues to happen with every card I own and I format each card after I've loaded the files onto my computer (after every shooting).

06-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only 'firmware' issue would be if you are using older firmware and have started to use newer cards that are not supported well. I believe there was an update that allowed newer cards, but I've never had a k-7 so maybe someone who has can chip in with the specifics.

Firmware (by definition) does not go bad or develop issues once it is written to the chip. If the same thing is happening to multiple cards and you have not started using newer cards then I think your only options are send it in for repair or start looking for a replacement.

You might take a look into the card slot and try blowing it out with a rocket blower, and check for anything that should not be in there or contacts that are bent or tarnished. That's a long shot but worth a look.
06-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by ERICDE705 Quote
It continues to happen with every card I own and I format each card after I've loaded the files onto my computer (after every shooting).
This sounds familiar. Are you using a PC or a Mac? What operating system do you have? Are you transferring via USB cable or are you using a card reader on the computer. Is it a built in slot or a third party card reader?
06-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am using a PC. Windows 7. Dell Laptop with a built-in card slot.

And as far as the question regarding the age of the cards I'm using, they are all of the same vintage and have used them for the majority of the life of the camera. All SanDisk 16 GB cards.

06-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Make sure you format the card(s) in camera, not with your computer. There can be subtle incompatibilities, especially if you have any 3rd party mass storage drivers installed on your computer.
06-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All of my formatting happens on camera.
06-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe the battery is going below the required voltage. An old battery won't show up as being 'flat' or discharged, it just won't be able to achieve the required voltage for all the circuits to run correctly. (A bit like having a 'brown out' rather than a black out - when the power drops below the required rail voltage.) It is telling that you are only getting 200 shots. You should get around 800 with the K-7.
Can you try a new battery?
06-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is there a way to test the batteries to see if they aren't holding sufficient charge? All the batteries I have (5 in total) are also about the same vintage. I do rotate them and make sure they are "fully charged" (according to the charger) before each use. Maybe they aren't holding charge. Has anybody else heard of this issue?
06-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, it's fairly unlikely that all 5 batteries have conked out at exactly the same time.
So if this problem is happening with all 5 batteries, then I guess that we can shelve the battery theory. Maybe number the batteries and see if the issue only occurs with one or two of them.

It's still odd, though. With my K-7 I'm still using the original battery and I don't have any 'spares'. Mine still seems OK.
06-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Test the cards, by filling them with files from your computer and see if you can access the files. If you can use the files, it's not the cards.

Use whatever you like, jpgs, video, mp3, or even spread sheets.

Have you tried shooting in RAW to see if the problem persists? I could see how the camera's onboard jpg conversion engine could cause the issues.

If your buffer is filling up faster than usual, that could point to a problem there too.

Some voltage testers can put a load on the batteries and tell you if they are up to par.
06-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So would it even be worth it to upgrade the firmware? I'm afraid it would amplify the problems instead of solving them. Any thoughts?
06-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So would it even be worth it to upgrade the firmware? I'm afraid it would amplify the problems instead of solving them. Any thoughts?
New firmware is not going to amplify anything. It will either improve the situation or change nothing. Since the only hope of firmware helping was if you were using newer cards and you stated that was not true so then I don't see a firmware update making any difference.

Normally I say go ahead and update the firmware anyway because often new firmware fixes little things we never knew were wrong. BUT in this case I would not recommend it. Loading new firmware is a delicate operation and can 'brick' your camera if it fails. And loading it from a possibly faulty memory card (or memory card interface) does not sound like something I would be comfortable with.