Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Autofocus problem K30 18-55DAL kit lens

Hello all, I am a beginner photographer with a K30, my first DSLR. I have been shooting for about a year, mostly my kids. I recently took the camera on a long plane trip (18 hours, during which the camera was packed in its padded case inside the padded section of my backpack).

On the first time the camera was removed from the case after the trip, the autofocus did not work.
When I press down on the button, I hear the whirring sound that should accompany a change in focus, but the focus never changes. The whirring sound just keeps going as long as I have the button depressed.

I have tried several different subjects, with the same results. I tried changing from AF-S mode to C, with the same results. When I changed lenses, however, the autofocus worked. This leads me to believe that something is wrong with my 18-55 lens.

How do I figure out what is wrong? What should I do? Thanks in advance to all the experts out there.

06-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to wiggle the lens slightly after mounting it, as the AF shaft may not have fully engaged. Also, if you set your camera to manual focus, then mount the lens, then set it to AF, this would have the same effect. Hope this helps!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try to wiggle the lens slightly after mounting it, as the AF shaft may not have fully engaged. Also, if you set your camera to manual focus, then mount the lens, then set it to AF, this would have the same effect. Hope this helps!
Unfortunately, neither of these suggestions had any effect. Where is the AF shaft located? Maybe I can take a closer look at it and see if it is somehow broken...?
06-17-2014, 02:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one on the right...if you take a small screw driver, you should be able to turn it...