Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this a good camera bag please?

I would like to get a camera bag for my k30 because my low pro I have now is a bit small. The Manfrotto 1V advanced shoulder bag looks a good one, does anyone else have this one?

I have seen it on a website called Harrison cameras at 17.99 plus 3.95 postage. Has anyone heard of them please? Thanks.

Manfrotto Advanced Shoulder Bag I - Shoulder Bags - Bags - Bags & Tripods - Harrison Cameras

06-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #2

I do not have person experience with this model. However, Manfrotto is known for making quality equipment. I would assume that if this bag is large enough for the gear you wish to carry it would be just fine.
06-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure it's a well made bag, it looks pretty small, but it all depends on your own needs and preferences. There's hundreds of bags out there and they are all good for someone. I've got a very nice Tenba sling bag, but I only use it for long hikes when I need to take a lot of lenses, meaning I rarely use it. For storage and most of the time I have individual lens cases and pack them into a padded Cabela's fishing bag. I'm not trying top steer you to a fishing bag but supporting my earlier idea of "it all depends on your own needs and preferences".

Since you said your Lowepro bag was too small, did you check the dimensions?
06-17-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not very good at dimensions but should i trust Harrison cameras?

06-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
our photographic needs tend to grow with time
keeping this in mind, I've found domke Domke F-5XZ RuggedWear Shoulder Bag 700-53A B&H Photo Video to be good for a camera w/ shorter lens attached, longer lens and a prime/flash.
with "DOMKE" tag removed, it even doesn't scream "LOOK, I'm a camera bag!" too loud

but to each their own; as for Harrison Cameras - they take Paypal and AmEx, should be fine.
06-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

this wont even fit your k30, the link you provided was for a bag for a "COMPACT" camera, more Q than K.

I think its time to reevaluate. I think you need to be closer to at least ~ $75 USD in your budget if you want to upgrade in size from your Loew Pro.

Really good, room bags of quality start at around $150 USD and go up from there. With bags you do get what you pay for, and you pay for size, weather sealing, quality zippers and lots of compartments.
06-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check this one out. I have one and it is comfortable, well made, adequate (unless you need lots of equipement) and not obviously a camera bag.

Lowepro Passport Sling DSLR Camera Carry Shoulder Bag Gray Mica for Canon Nikon | eBay
06-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That bag in the original post is very small. It is not designed for a DSLR such as your K-30 but rather for a smaller compact or mirrorless camera. I don't think it is anywhere near enough bag for your needs.

06-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

For a camera bag, especially a shoulder bag, I strongly advise you to go to a brick-and-mortar shop with your camera (and whatever you intend to carry in the bag). Most good retailers wil be happy to assist.

I had a recent experience when I was looking for a shoulder bag for a SLR with one lens (mounted) + accessories (cards, cloth cables). I ended up selecting a very nice bag (LowePro Nova 140AW reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database) completely different from the one I initially selected online. Why, because the fittings and paddings were much better in that bag.

Go to your shop and try in person with your camera.
06-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Aura,

I think you may outgrow the Manfrotto IV very quickly. May I suggest a sling type bag.
I have a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW. I have used it for about 5 years now. It will never wear out.
It carries a Pentax K-5 with or without any of the lenses I usually use mounted on it if I wish;
A Quantaray 70>300mm Macro zoom with lens hood @ 5-1/2" long. ( My favourite lens ).
A Tamron 28>80mm with lens hood @ 4"" long.
A Pentax 12>24mm with its massive lens hood @ 4" long and its hood is 4" wide. It also has Two fair sized exterior pockets and a small inside pocket.There is a hidden storm cover which I have never used.
One of its really useful features is the ability to swing the bag around to access the contents and even change lenses without removing the bag from your shoulder and thus exposing it to theft.
As a diabetic I also carry a glucometer and an insulin pen. All this with room to spare.

It is not overly large. Larger models are made by Lowepro. I think there may be one smaller model, a 150 AW. The 200 AW weighs 2.1 pounds.

Do not buy from the internet unless you have seen and tried your choice in real life. Dealing with a reliable dealer is always your safest path.

Mickey
06-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
For a camera bag, especially a shoulder bag, I strongly advise you to go to a brick-and-mortar shop with your camera (and whatever you intend to carry in the bag). Most good retailers wil be happy to assist.
+1. Camera bags (bags of any kind) are a highly personal thing. Dimensions stated online don't always tell the whole story - like clothing, they can be tight or loose.

You can get online opinions on the quality of specific brands, but it's best to check out the individual bag in person before purchase.
06-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Sling Bag

Some people say this one is too small or other negative comments but I have had this for almost 3 years now:

Amazon.com : Pentax DSLR Nylon Black Sling Bag : Photographic Equipment Bag Accessories : Camera & Photo

It has 3 lenses in the lower portion, my camera (K-30) with the lens attached that I plan to be shooting for the day plus my Metz 52 in the middle portion and the top portion has my battery charger, a Sanyo video camera and other cables inside. Additionally there are a zipper on top that has a decent amount of space and there also additional space area for a netting that I keep additional batteries and SD card in small pockets. I love this camera, use the sling portion when I am hiking or outdoors and when I want to take a shot, slide the sling, unzip the cam and I am there. I have used this in some brutal areas such as Hawaii volcanos, hiking in Maui, snow in Tahoe, around the juggles of the Philippines and I love it. If I ever had a need to purchase a replacement, I would buy this one again in a heartbeat. I like the look of the Pentax embroidered name too.
06-18-2014, 01:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to London Camera Exchange later, as Castle cameras don't sell that style. I saw it at the Manfrotto stand when i went to Hamworthy club a few weeks back and Liked what I saw. If it's too small, perhaps I need the next size up.

I was also shown a Nova sport 7L AW by Low pro on their stand, but I haven't been able to find that bag on Amazon. Does anyone know that model please?