Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
28mm gives a rather boring field of view on APS-C, IMO. Your dad is probably used to 35mm film, where a 28mm lens is more useful.
So the FA 43 Ltd is boring on 135-FF?

06-18-2014, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd get the DA 35/2.4, the DA 50/1.8, and not skip the kit lens. It will help you decide on the lenses that will make up your set. The suggestions here are aimed at creating that set, but the lens choice is personal - only you can tell whether a 28 or 35 feels "normal" to you. The kit lens works well enough to simulate the missing part of the Pentax prime lineup, 21 to 31mm. Do you want to find something to fill this spot, or not? After you take a lot of shots, you should have a better idea of the best direction for your next one or two lenses. The kit lens might have lived out its usefulness at this point, and maybe even one of the primes. But then you'd know what lenses make up your set.
06-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Obviously, tenths of millions of users thought otherwise, as most of the P&S of the film era had focal length of 35-40mm.
Which is exactly why it's boring, IMO. Tens of millions of images seen with that field of view.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
So the FA 43 Ltd is boring on 135-FF?
Again - in my opinion. You're free to agree or disagree.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-18-2014 at 10:43 AM.
06-18-2014, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by christiantypet Quote
Hi Friends, I was thinking about buying my first Pentax (the K-30) and skipping the kit lens. I'm planning to get the 50mm f/1.8 along with another prime to bring on my travels. Which lens would be better for general travel and landscapes? The 35mm f/2.4 or the 28mm f/2.8? My dad recommended me the 28mm since he said that it would give me a wider range of focal lengths, but I've heard a lot of good things from the 35mm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You say buying your first pentax, but what other cameras have you used? What lenses?

Depending you past shooting experience you might want to wait until you have shot for a while with the kit lens,and see where you think you need something better, I.e. Wider, longer , faster, sharper etc..

You may find that while you get some great lenses recommended they are of limited use for you, because everyone has different shooting interests and a different way of seeing the world

Going out to shoot a little to explore your own perspective can help you build a kit that suites you the best

06-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm actually now considering just getting the WR kit lens and the 50mm f/1.8 since it would give me everything I need for now :P. Is the kit lens generally good? I only mentioned getting a 35mm f/2.4 since people seem to really like it and the IQ seems leagues above the kit.
06-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the kit lens generally good?
Get a hood for it...and stop down. It's best between 24 & 35mm and F8. Pentax really needs a consumer wide angle, something like an 18mm F3.5.
06-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

It is what it is ... something the manufacturer includes at low cost, that they hope a serious user will pay for an upgrade to something else later.

But have a look at the lens club thread for good images taken by forum members using it.

And apparently, it's better than its Canikon equivalents.

06-18-2014, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

It has got its quirks and shortcomings. But once you allow for them it is quite passable

Stop is down a bit (use the MTF program), use the hood and don't put any UV etc filters on it.

Last edited by kh1234567890; 06-18-2014 at 05:22 PM.
06-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An advantage is the kit lens is WR - if that's the kit you get. You could spring for an 18-135 kit, if you can find one. That's better than the 18-55, and very nice to use. It would be money you might want to spend on that 50mm prime, though.

It's a good insurance policy to have at least one WR lens, though. It may mean the difference between taking the camera on an excursion and leaving it home. Of course the Photographer's Rule will still apply - when you have the camera you see nothing but when you don't, you see the opportunity of a lifetime.
06-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Of course the Photographer's Rule will still apply - when you have the camera you see nothing but when you don't, you see the opportunity of a lifetime.
Sounds horrible - so pessimistic! Murphy would have been proud. The glass is half broken.
06-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Sounds horrible - so pessimistic! Murphy would have been proud. The glass is half broken.
I'm a chemist - the glass is always full, unless it's under vacuum.

The best camera is the one you have with you when you see something worth recording.
06-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The best camera is the one you have with you when you see something worth recording.
Except according to your Rule you never see anything when you have the camera!

So your Photographer's Rule is a lie. It's impossible, because if you never see anything you never take a photo; therefore you're not a Photographer.
06-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I'd get the kit lens if it's WR. It's a convenient lens and will work in difficult conditions.

the DA50 is a great lens, I would consider it or the XS40 and decide which focal length suits you more (for me it's 40mm, and I went with the DA40 LTD, the XS is simply cheaper).

For the wider focal length, I feel 35 and 50 are somewhat close. I went with the DA21 personally and just love that lens. It would be my choice, a very confortable focal length on digital.
06-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Except according to your Rule you never see anything when you have the camera!

So your Photographer's Rule is a lie. It's impossible, because if you never see anything you never take a photo; therefore you're not a Photographer.
Of course, like Murphy's Law it's a platitude (or at least hyperbole). But of course we remember the lost opportunities - like a few weeks ago, walking the quadrupeds one of our local Sharp-Shinned Hawks remained perched on a fence watching us from about 40 feet away. Had I any decent telephoto I could have had spectacular images. But of course equally likely had I the camera and pointed the big lens at the big bird, it would have taken wing. Or not. I do have some outstanding images of these hawks, they're not shy - though they are fast! Fortunately, they're also curious - like the crows, who keep an eye on everyone.

With that, I'll give a piece of advice - look for a sling strap. They're more secure and (to me) more comfortable than a neck or shoulder strap. It allows me to bring the camera and not worry as much about damaging it.

---------- Post added 06-19-14 at 12:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I went with the DA21 personally and just love that lens. It would be my choice, a very confortable focal length on digital.
I just obtained a used DA21 as well. I like the view, and it is super quick to focus.

Last edited by TER-OR; 06-19-2014 at 11:03 AM.
06-19-2014, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #30
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of good advice here. The kit lens isn't bad, but almost any set of primes will give better image quality. What the kit brings is flexibility and weather sealing.

Now, if you don't get the kit I think the DA21 would be a great companion to the DA50. The F/FA28 wouldn't be bad either (and a bit cheaper), I really like my FA. The reason why I won't recommend the DA35 is that it's a bit close to the 50 for a two-lens kit IMO. It's a very nice lens, though.

Actually, for me it would make more sense with a 21 + 35 (or 40) combo than the 50, but that all comes down to personal preferences and shooting style.

In the end, though, you might well end up like me, with all of the above - and then some