Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens suitable teleconverter

Hi again

Is there a suitable Tele-converter that I could get if I go ahead and purchase the
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens,

all advice welcome, I believe you can get one for the Sigma 70mm 200mm

one more thing is the Tamron 70x 200 better than the Sigma70x200

the only thing I can see is that Sigma has better AF,

All advice welcome Thank you
Tom G

06-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom777 Quote
one more thing is the Tamron 70x 200 better than the Sigma70x200
The Sigma is a bit better on paper IMO, but in practice both lenses deliver. The slower/noisy AF is the only thing that really bugged me about the Tamron lens.

I'd recommend the Pentax DA 1.4x teleconverter, as for a quality lens you want a quality converter

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I originally picked the Tamron because the minimum focus distance is much closer. It is a great flower/butterfly lens. You can even do bees with a bit of cropping. I also spent a lot of time poring over sample photos online. Both lenses have equivalent sharpness, but to my eye, the Tamron is more consistent with that "special something" that makes photos really stand out (pixie dust?) Whatever it is, the Tamron seems to have more of it. The Tamron is also quite a bit cheaper, but the build quality feels just a little cheesy. Never a real problem, just feels meh...

I tried the Vivitar teleconverter with mine. What I found is that if I just shot without the TC and cropped, I had more or less equivalent performance to the TC shots (the TC was actually slightly worse), so I returned the TC.

I really really love my Tamron. I love it enough that I actually carry it around with me. It is a bit lighter than the Sigma IIRC, but it is still quite heavy. If you get one, make sure you have a sling strap like the BlackRapids or similar. You don't want that thing hanging from your regular strap. I hook my BR to the lens tripod mount. Then when I change lenses, I just leave the Tamron on the BR.

Examples (click through to Flickr for full size samples)

It is an absolute MONSTER for portraits. Wonderful rendering. Give it some soft light, you are rewarded with stunning rendering. My pooch with morning side light:

A simple mailbox, but look how nice the light transitions are, the bokeh is soft, great microcontrast. A beautifully rendered photo of a completely boring subject:

This lens handles blacks beautifully.

And a super landscape weapon too:

And near-macro
06-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The slower/noisy AF is the only thing that really bugged me about the Tamron lens.
Did you measure AF time? FWIW, I had the opposite experience comparing the Tamron/Sigma.

06-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Did you measure AF time? FWIW, I had the opposite experience comparing the Tamron/Sigma.
On what camera? On the K-3 the Tamron could potentially be slightly faster than the Sigma thanks to the camera's more powerful AF motor.

BTW, the version I tested is the latest one (OS HSM).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I originally picked the Tamron because the minimum focus distance is much closer. It is a great flower/butterfly lens. You can even do bees with a bit of cropping. I also spent a lot of time poring over sample photos online. Both lenses have equivalent sharpness, but to my eye, the Tamron is more consistent with that "special something" that makes photos really stand out (pixie dust?) Whatever it is, the Tamron seems to have more of it. The Tamron is also quite a bit cheaper, but the build quality feels just a little cheesy. Never a real problem, just feels meh...

I tried the Vivitar teleconverter with mine. What I found is that if I just shot without the TC and cropped, I had more or less equivalent performance to the TC shots (the TC was actually slightly worse), so I returned the TC.

I really really love my Tamron. I love it enough that I actually carry it around with me. It is a bit lighter than the Sigma IIRC, but it is still quite heavy. If you get one, make sure you have a sling strap like the BlackRapids or similar. You don't want that thing hanging from your regular strap. I hook my BR to the lens tripod mount. Then when I change lenses, I just leave the Tamron on the BR.

Examples (click through to Flickr for full size samples)

It is an absolute MONSTER for portraits. Wonderful rendering. Give it some soft light, you are rewarded with stunning rendering. My pooch with morning side light:

A simple mailbox, but look how nice the light transitions are, the bokeh is soft, great microcontrast. A beautifully rendered photo of a completely boring subject:

This lens handles blacks beautifully.

And a super landscape weapon too:

And near-macro
Great Photos Kozlok

are you 100% sure The Pentax the DA 1.4 Converter works with the Tamron,
have you used it ,
just I read somewhere on line that it does not fit correctly using the Tamron 70mm 200mm
Tom G

---------- Post added 06-21-14 at 06:13 PM ----------

On what camera? On the K-3 the Tamron could potentially be slightly faster than the Sigma thanks to the camera's more powerful AF motor.

Yes I have the K3
Tom G
06-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

This is probably what you would want to look for...

Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Costs about 1/3 as much as the Pentax...
06-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This is probably what you would want to look for...

Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Costs about 1/3 as much as the Pentax...

Thanks again Boriscleto

Tom G

06-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I tested whatever was current in 2011. It was definitely a HSM. It was quieter but not faster on the K-5 in my experience.
06-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the Tamron 1.4 is still sold as the Vivitar ... I hope so, I've just eBayed one! Small cost, whether it's the same one or not.