Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Printer recommendations?

To date, I've printed very few photos. I mostly shoot, PP and store on Flash Drives. I have a printer, a HP that has performed admirably, but, it's getting pretty long in the tooth and needs to be replaced. I have an Epson V-500 scanner that I'm very impressed with and was thinking of perhaps replacing my HP printer with an Epson. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and guidance.

Dewman

Last edited by Dewman; 06-20-2014 at 06:10 PM.
06-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Epson
06-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Perhaps I should have asked, "That's the best Epson for printing photos?"
06-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #4

Canon pro1or hp B9180, Epson printheads jam up if not used constantly.

06-20-2014, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My current printer is a $40,000 Xerox Color 550.
2400 by 2400 dpi with all the latest tech, like the emulsion aggregation toners.

It makes just beautiful and realistic prints 11 by 17 inch from the 6 x 7 cm negs on the high quality Kodak papers.

Best of all, I don't own it and don't maintain it.

It is down the street at the local office supply store. I just upload the .tiff, and drive down to pick up the print.
$ 5.00/print, and the staff that run it are friendly, know what they are doing, and will re-do if there is a problem.
06-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
To date, I've printed very few photos. I mostly shoot, PP and store on Flash Drives. I have a printer, a HP that has performed admirably, but, it's getting pretty long in the tooth and needs to be replaced. I have an Epson V-500 scanner that I'm very impressed with and was thinking of perhaps replacing my HP scanner with an Epson. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and guidance.

Dewman
Which HP have you? Newer (5 yrs or less) HP printers are to be avoided generally if reliable output is your objective. Older dye-based ones with a grey cart stand up surprisingly well image quality wise, and they have strong build quality.

New Canon & Epson models are both really good, but the consumables are killer. It may be worth your while to find a good lab and pay.

M
06-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
My current printer is a $40,000 Xerox Color 550.
2400 by 2400 dpi with all the latest tech, like the emulsion aggregation toners.

It makes just beautiful and realistic prints 11 by 17 inch from the 6 x 7 cm negs on the high quality Kodak papers.

Best of all, I don't own it and don't maintain it.

It is down the street at the local office supply store. I just upload the .tiff, and drive down to pick up the print.
$ 5.00/print, and the staff that run it are friendly, know what they are doing, and will re-do if there is a problem.
I agree with this advice, or the many printers online that will ship the prints to you. There are too many to mention, I've used several and have good results with all. And if you have to get something in a hurry there are places like Walgreens and Meijer, where you can upload at home and usually pickup within hours.

06-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Epson 3800. The 2800 should produce just as excellent results as the 3800.

I used to do Costco. The Epson's are not cheaper per print, especially for small prints, but the ability to do a print when you need it, and (more important) print test pictures, adjust, resize instantly - simply invaluable! I would never go back....

BTW results are better than I ever had before.

Last edited by HenrikDK; 06-20-2014 at 06:26 PM.
06-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have an Epson Artisan 1430 at home that prints up to 19" by 13". I use Epson Ultra Lustre paper exclusively. Special paper (metallic for night photos) or larger sizes get sent to Nations Photo Lab.
06-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have used an Epson (two models) desktop ink jet printer and used glossy photo paper. I found the ink in the dark sections seems to sit on the outside of the glossy surface resulting in an uneven, part glossy/part matt finish which has completely put me off.

What is the solution to that problem?
06-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use an Epson 1400 for proof prints, but everything else gets sent out to the lab.
06-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have used an Epson (two models) desktop ink jet printer and used glossy photo paper. I found the ink in the dark sections seems to sit on the outside of the glossy surface resulting in an uneven, part glossy/part matt finish which has completely put me off.

Which specific models are causing you grief? Dye-based inkjets can require either "porous" (AKA ceramic) glossy papers or resin-coated glossy papers. The wrong type can have symptoms of puddling on the page. If you are using a pigment-based printer, it is common for glossy papers to be problematic. Metamerism and bronzing are typical issues. Newer printers that have an extra cart that dispenses clear coat can help offset some of these issues. For glossy output on pigment-based printers, I favor baryta papers.

Good baryta makers include Hahnemuhle, Canson, and Epson Exhibition Fiber.They are really pricey, however.

M
06-21-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

That sounds like a paper issue. I had a similar problem when I changed printers and tried to finish my old HP glossy paper supply in a new Epson printer. Switching paper resolved it. Epson's Ultra Premium Lustre has worked very well for me - glossy but not too glossy.
06-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too use the Epson Artisan 1430, best bang for the buck. I do not have any problem with clogged print heads and it prints exactly like what's on my monitor. I've had many people tell me the prints look professional. I use Red River Paper exclusively with Polar Pearl Metallic being my favorite as it gives an almost 3D appearance.
06-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The two Epson printers I remember having this happen with were TX100 and TX435.

These are ordinary or lower end home inkjet printers.