Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
While I like have a clean sensor and agree that one should do their best to avoid changing lenses in a dusty environment, I'm not going to avoid getting a shot because of dust.

Dust on a sensor and subsequent photos does not render the photos useless. Cloning, Healing, etc. tools are available in may editors these days. I live in the southwestern part of the U.S. where dust is everywhere. You learn to live with it, even in the camera. Heck my K5 has a piece of dust I'm certain is between the sensor and filter as wet cleaning has never removed it. Fortunately, it's at the edge of the frame, and I just remove it from each image it shows up on. No big deal.

I will, however, try one of these static brushes. I like swapping lenses, and would love a bit more help if a brush will do that.

09-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #32

Hello and thanks for info. I have had the sensor on my Pentax K30 cleaned twice now. I am going to try cleaning my sensor and camera with the help of this thread. I have the 'rocket' air bulb, canned air (for general cleaning as described in the thread), and will get the 'Clear Sky' brushes. I also have the 'kit' with 4 swabs and the solution for cleaning the sensor itself. It helps to know that I'm not the only one with tons of dust and dirt in my camera. Living in the Southwest, where wind, and not only dust, but fine silt, are a big, ever-present problem. It is a bit disheartening to learn I should not change lenses outside. When I'm out doing a shoot, I'm usually on a trail, on my horse, in the desert, or at a rodeo where dust is continually kicked up, and there is usually a good wind blowing. I may decide to get a second body for my prime 200mm lens so I don't have to switch lenses at all. (my other lens is a 10-20mm and I love it for landscapes and big scenes.) But...still a bit of a shock to see so much dust and flecks of dirt on my sensor I also have horses and dogs, who shed. I'm getting the hang of knowing what is on my sensor, and am establishing what I call "Best Practices" when in the field. It would be great of others would share those best practices with each other. Not sure if this is the thread to do it on or not. Same goes for having a nice instruction pdf on cleaning your own sensor and/or best practices in the field. I was a graphic artist for over 30 years and will probably make my own instructions that I'd be happy to share with others if I end up making one, but I have never cleaned my own sensor. In any case, thanks for all the info, I find it helpful. --Patty