Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #1

Sears SLR and Pentax lenses

I have recently come into possession of a Sears single lens reflex film camera, along with an "auto sears" 55mm f1.4 lens(made in Japan), a Tamron 80-200 f3.8-4 CF telle-macro zoom,a Tamron-SP flat field 2X teleconverter, and a Tamron 28 f2.5 wideangle, with the "adaptall-2 mount system".
My question: Who made this camera, and are these Pentax mount lenses? The 28mm lense appears to be a screw mount, and indicates "for Pentax" on the inside of the mount.
Also got a Philips flash. Model P536TCLS. Is this still a useful unit....looks good?
I would probably look to sell any of all of these items, but would like to know if there is any demand, or are these good boat anchors? Appreciate any, and all info. Thanks

06-22-2014, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What model is the camera?

Sears sold a number of different models, most made by Ricoh. (1 was a Chinon, 1 had a Nikon mount, etc.)

sears camera instruction manuals, Tower camera instruction manual

If it's the TLS then it is a screw mount camera and almost any M42 lens will work on it. (M42 was called Pentax screw mount in the US, it was called Praktica thread mount in Japan.)

Sears 55mm f1.4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Match 7: (7) Sears Auto 1:1.4 55mm vs. (10) Nikkor-S Auto 1:1.4 50mm Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com

Match 11: (2) SMC Takumar 1:1.4 50mm vs. (7) Sears Auto 1:1.4 f=55mm Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com

Matt's Classic Cameras: Auto Rikenon f1.4 55mm M42

Sears 55mm 1:1.4 |

The 55/1.4 was most likely made by Tomioka.
06-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What model is the camera?

Sears sold a number of different models, most made by Ricoh. (1 was a Chinon, 1 had a Nikon mount, etc.)

sears camera instruction manuals, Tower camera instruction manual

If it's the TLS then it is a screw mount camera and almost any M42 lens will work on it. (M42 was called Pentax screw mount in the US, it was called Praktica thread mount in Japan.)

Sears 55mm f1.4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Match 7: (7) Sears Auto 1:1.4 55mm vs. (10) Nikkor-S Auto 1:1.4 50mm Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com

Match 11: (2) SMC Takumar 1:1.4 50mm vs. (7) Sears Auto 1:1.4 f=55mm Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com

Matt's Classic Cameras: Auto Rikenon f1.4 55mm M42

Sears 55mm 1:1.4 |

The 55/1.4 was most likely made by Tomioka.
And he researched and posted all that in 17 minutes! Isn't this forum amazing?
06-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Yos
Veteran Member

Why search yourself when you can ask forum members

06-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikerboy Quote
I would probably look to sell any of all of these items, but would like to know if there is any demand, or are these good boat anchors? Appreciate any, and all info. Thanks
Demand depends on whether you can find a buyer. The Sears cameras (with a few notable exceptions, none SLR) are not particularly rare or particularly desirable. As noted above, most were made by Ricoh and are generally very decent and dependable cameras.* Most of the value of your kit is in the lenses and that value is dependent on condition. I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that no one lens from the lot is worth more than $45 USD and that actual value may be half that and that the body is worth no more than $20 by itself.

Steve

* I own the Ricoh Singlex TLS (equivalent to the Sears TLS) and it is still quite usable even though it is about 45 years old. I think I paid $25 for body and lens in Ex condition on eBay about a decade ago.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-22-2014 at 11:39 AM.
06-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Demand depends on whether you can find a buyer. The Sears cameras (with a few notable exceptions, none SLR) are not particularly rare or particularly desirable. As noted above, most were made by Ricoh and are generally very decent and dependable cameras.* Most of the value of your kit is in the lenses and that value is dependent on condition. I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that no one lens from the lot is worth more than $45 USD and that actual value may be half that and that the body is worth no more than $20 by itself.

Steve

* I own the Ricoh Singlex TLS (equivalent to the Sears TLS) and it is still quite usable even though it is about 45 years old. I think I paid $25 for body and lens in Ex condition on eBay about a decade ago.
Thanks. I appreciate the input, and that info squares with what I thought.