Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Choosing Best Photos In Camera

Is there a way to select the photos you like best in camera?
So when you download them to your computer you can easily go to the ones you liked best.
I talked to a professional photographer who I think shoots Canon that told me he was able to pick the photos he liked best so when it came to editing he didn't have to go through 100's or 1000's of photos to find the ones he liked the best.

06-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think he meant he could mark or flag the good ones but rather that he ruthlessly and judiciously deletes less-than perfect shots as he goes along. Many professionals work that way.
06-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I don't think he meant he could mark or flag the good ones but rather that he ruthlessly and judiciously deletes less-than perfect shots as he goes along. Many professionals work that way.
No, the OP is exactly on the mark. You can mark good photos for the keeping in camera with my 5DMK3. But to do it right does involve the ruthless part as well.
And the margin of error-in-judgement is quite slim.

M
06-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure I could do that, the screen on the camera is too small for my eyes to pick the good shot. Unless some are really, really bad.

If you want though there is a way, at least on the k-3, to sort of do the same thing. You can copy files between SD1 and SD2, so if you shoot onto SD1, you can go in and mark the 'good' shots to be copied to SD2. When you get back you have your 'good' shots on SD2 and all of your shots on SD1 as a backup in case you need one of those.

Whether that's worth the effort I've no idea. When I'm in the field shooting that's all I want to worry about. I'll deal with picking shots when I'm back in the office. But I can see for some shooters it might be important, uploading to a news feed for a photojournalist for example.

06-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I cannot test this right now but if I protect my photos from delete on my K30 individually, I believe I can them come home and copy all my photos to my pc, then put the SD card back into the camera, delete all the photos that are not protected and then move the protected files over to a new folder....
06-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm not sure I could do that, the screen on the camera is too small for my eyes to pick the good shot. Unless some are really, really bad.
The most blatant example I've experienced is when shooting outdoor portraits with the FA31. On the camera screen they didn't look very good, so I changed to another lens. When I looked at them later on the computer I regretted changing lenses because they were really good.

You may be able to judge what's really bad on the camera's screen (and throw them out), but not what's really good. What looks like some of the greatest shots on the camera back turn out to be just average later, and visa-versa. But good for him if he's both perceptive enough and bold enough to choose them on camera. I'm sure he makes a few mistakes, but perhaps he's better off not letting that bother him. (after all, they say ignorance is ....., and the most popular camera brand may just be the most susceptible to it )

I'd rather cull my photos in either FastPictureViewer in Windows or Capture One on OS X. Both programs (as well as Lightroom and some others, I believe) allow star ratings with a single keystroke with your left hand (just touch the 0 through 5 keys above the home row) while advancing forward or back through the photos with your right hand (using the arrow keys). FastPictureViewer also has single keystrokes to mark for batch deletion or move to another folder, amongst other functions.

Last edited by DSims; 06-23-2014 at 12:31 PM.
06-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll delete accidental shots of my foot in-camera, that's about it. It's so much easier to see and flip through shots on a desktop, and be sure.

06-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by designedbyme Quote
I talked to a professional photographer who I think shoots Canon that told me he was able to pick the photos he liked best so when it came to editing he didn't have to go through 100's or 1000's of photos to find the ones he liked the best.
Most of the pros I know use PhotoMechanic to quickly (and I mean, super-quickly) cull through a session's worth of shots to tag and rate prior to editing in LR and PS.
06-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Lightroom to sort them out. And I don't bother rating them, I use the 'x' command to mark anything I don't want as a reject. I just concentrate on picking the best of each pose, scene whatever. When I'm done I have just one or maybe two from each scene that get developed further. And I still have all the rejected ones to go back to if I find during developing that the one I picked was not as good as I thought. Once I have the shoot developed then I "Remove Rejected" and everything I don't want is gone. I've never seen the need (for what I do) for trying decide if an image is a 3 or a 4 or whatever. It's either good enough for the purpose or it's trash. But everyone will have a different workflow depending on their needs.
06-23-2014, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I've never seen the need (for what I do) for trying decide if an image is a 3 or a 4 or whatever.
There are many other uses for the stars besides rating. For example, 1 star could mean images that all need a batch white balance adjustment, 2 could be images that need to go into PS for some cloning work, 3 could be images intended for final printing, etc. Possibilites are endless.
06-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
There are many other uses for the stars besides rating.
Sure, I use the colors though. Yellow = Selected, Green = Developed, Blue = Key worded & Titled, Purple = Sent to agency. I did not mean to imply the rating tools are not useful, only that trying to decide whether a particular image should be rated a 4 or a 5 is for me a waste of time.
06-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I'll delete accidental shots of my foot in-camera, that's about it. It's so much easier to see and flip through shots on a desktop, and be sure.
That's about it for me, too. FastStone is quite...fast. PDCU is tedious.
06-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sure, I use the colors though. Yellow = Selected, Green = Developed, Blue = Key worded & Titled, Purple = Sent to agency. I did not mean to imply the rating tools are not useful, only that trying to decide whether a particular image should be rated a 4 or a 5 is for me a waste of time.
Likewise. It's probably better to stick to using the stars as a rating, since that's standard practice. There's no established standard for color tags - they're designed to mean whatever you decide they should mean.
06-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't know that most pros do select images in the camera; it seems that it wouldn't be very time-efficient. For me, there would be too much chance of error - either from missing small details that would make one image better than another, or by accidentally deleting multiple images (some interfaces are safer than others, but it would be just my luck to be thinking "delete" while selecting "format.")
06-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, although you can delete absolute misses in camera, I don't believe any camas LCD display is good enough to give 1:1 pixel resolution to be absolutely certain on sharpness.

Also a not perfect shot is clearly better than no shot, and all that time you spend staring at the LCD is time you are not spending shooting