Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Focus problem with the K-3

Hi guys (and girls),

I love my K-3 and have taken lots of pixs with it. I also use a K-5 which I love.
Here is the issue: the K-3 seems to freeze the focus and it will not re-focus on any other spot. This happens
sporadically and all I can do is turn it off and on. I had the problem with the Pentax 18-135 and the Sigma 18-250.
I had the update in software about 3 months ago. Maybe there is another update?
Any ideas will be appreciated as it is an annoying problem.

Thanks in advance!!!

06-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want the camera to re-focus without letting go of the AF button/half-press, you need to be in AF-C mode. Is that what you're using? The K-3 has a lot more AF modes as well as a new interface, so it can be a bit confusing at first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lezama Quote
Here is the issue: the K-3 seems to freeze the focus and it will not re-focus on any other spot. This happens
sporadically and all I can do is turn it off and on.
It sounds like you are saying that the AF feature sometimes locks up and that you must power down before it will work again. Is the AF the only thing locked or is the whole camera non-functional when this happens.

Steve
06-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want the camera to re-focus without letting go of the AF button/half-press, you need to be in AF-C mode. Is that what you're using? The K-3 has a lot more AF modes as well as a new interface, so it can be a bit confusing at first.
Hi Adam,
I do appreciate your response. But, no, I am using the K_3 in AF-S mode only and it focuses fine at first but when I change focus points anhd hit the shutter release to half way it will still be focused in the old spot and not allow a change. The only thing that unfreezes it is a re-boot.
Thanks, and help!!!
Ricardo (lezama)

---------- Post added 06-25-14 at 07:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It sounds like you are saying that the AF feature sometimes locks up and that you must power down before it will work again. Is the AF the only thing locked or is the whole camera non-functional when this happens.

Steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the response. The only thing that freezes is the Auto focus, which I always use in AF_S. As far as I know I have the latest firmware but I will check
Thanks, and help!
Ricardo (lezama)

06-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Ricoh/Pentax support may be your best option if the behavior is as you describe.

Steve
06-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Adam, I do appreciate your response. But, no, I am using the K_3 in AF-S mode only and it focuses fine at first but when I change focus points anhd hit the shutter release to half way it will still be focused in the old spot and not allow a change. The only thing that unfreezes it is a re-boot. Thanks, and help!!! Ricardo (lezama)
Are you using AE-L/AF-L?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi guys (and girls),

I love my K-3 and have taken lots of pixs with it. I also use a K-5 which I love.
sporadically and all I can do is turn it off and on. I had the problem with the Pentax 18-135 and the Sigma 18-250.
I had the update in software about 3 months ago. Maybe there is another update?
Any ideas will be appreciated as it is an annoying problem.

Thanks in advance!!!
This is a belated follow up on the issue. I discovered why the Autofocus froze sporadically. I have the battery pack on the camera and when holding it sometimes my hand touches the shutter button in the battery pack freezing the focus point. So issue is solved. Thanks everyone...!!!
12-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter

This is a belated follow up on the issue. I discovered why the Autofocus froze sporadically. I have the battery pack on the camera and when holding it sometimes my hand touches the shutter button in the battery pack freezing the focus point. So issue is solved. Thanks everyone...!!!
Glad you found the source of the problem.

Steve