Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Displaying aperture with FA lens

Just got a new lens today and am new to DSLR.

Should the Pentax-FA lenses show the aperture in the viewfinder and screen when focusing manually? The EXIF shows 2.8 regardless of what I did, even in AF.

So far, I've used Av with MF. The viewfinder and screen show F-- all the time (when not in AF).

Lens: Pentax-FA 50mm f2.8 macro. Camera:K-50.

In a thread about A lenses, someone said a dirty contact could cause this since the A lens is supposed to show the aperture. I thought I'd ask before messing with it.

I downloaded the manual and didn't find anything useful.

Last edited by EllenJ; 06-26-2014 at 06:45 PM.
06-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
GPZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did you position the aperture ring to A?
06-26-2014, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EllenJ Quote
Just got a new lens today and am new to DSLR.

Should the Pentax-FA lenses show the aperture in the viewfinder and screen when focusing manually? The EXIF shows 2.8 regardless of what I did, even in AF.

So far, I've used Av with MF. The viewfinder and screen show F-- all the time (when not in AF).

Lens: Pentax-FA 50mm f2.8 macro. Camera:K-50.

In a thread about A lenses, someone said a dirty contact could cause this since the A lens is supposed to show the aperture. I thought I'd ask before messing with it.

I downloaded the manual and didn't find anything useful.
Clean the lens mount, set the aperture ring to "A", and you should be good to go. On digital bodies, the aperture is adjusted via the e-dial on the camera rather than the aperture ring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GPZ Quote
Did you position the aperture ring to A?
That's what I did wrong -- hadn't. I've been shooting with a manual lens for so long I didn't think of that.

Thank you!

And thanks, Adam. (Just saw the other reply)