Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #1

Upgrade

Want to upgrade a k20 due to it not taking goo low light pics. Any suggestion?

06-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what your budget is, but if you want to stay with a flagship model, K5 or higher will give you better high iso performance. In the entry/midrange tier, K-X or higher. Best bang for the buck right now might be a K30 or K50 - not flagship models, but offer advanced features such as weathersealing, focus peaking, and pentaprism viewfinder.
06-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can I suggest you define the shortcomings of the k20 that your unhappy with, is it noise or poor autofocus lock or exposure issues

That would help suggest the right path
06-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

What lenses do you use? Anything f/2.8 or faster?

Outside of really knowing your setup or desires, I'd recommend looking at a K-5 II on the second hand market maybe.

If you are using slower lenses, however, I'd recommend a faster lens! (Faster meaning smaller aperture value -- lets in more light)

06-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd pick up a k5 (ii, iis, or original), or the k3. The latter gives you the latest features and more resolution, but the overall low light performance is about the same between the k3 and k5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can get maybe three stops better performance from the sensor, plus better AF, metering, SR, rear screen and viewfinder. The K20D was an upper tier model but a lot of upper tier features have moved into the cheaper cameras. So you can get a pentaprism viewfinder, and 2 control dials even in a K-500, and WR in a K-50. A lot of K-500 features are better than the K20D; six years is a long time in DSLR features. You have to look pretty hard to find features from the K20D that are missing on the K-500.

WR - if you have any WR lenses now or want that, look at the K-50 instead.
Battery Grip - if you like having a grip or liked the size of the K20D, look at the K-5 line or the K-3 instead.
Tethering - the K-3 has this if you get a FluCard too and have a tablet/phone.
Wired Remote - I think you have to get a K-5 or K-3 for this.

The sensor is pretty much the same for the K-5 versions, K-30, K-50 and K-500, with only a few more pixels than the K20D. If you get a K-3 you might have to upgrade an old computer to handle the 24 Mp.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 06-28-2014 at 03:55 PM.
06-28-2014, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Until you know what the issue is how can you suggest a camera that will address it.

What if the OP has a technical requirement to take noise free images in near dark conditions at ISO 125,000

Will a k5 offer that.

Ok a k5 may well suit perfectly, but what is the issue here we re trying to solve.

Not taking good low light pics could mean anything, what are good low light pics, I think we need to know more