Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
+1 advice to see what the 35mm and 50mm look like with your 18-55. Set the FL and put some tape on the lens - or a silicone ring bracelet to keep you from changing, and see which makes more sense to you.

Both of those primes are inexpensive and high quality optics, and will be a great start for you. The 50mm is pretty tight, though, for casual use.
I changed my camera to aperture priority, as I'm not totally confident with full manual and tried 35 & 50mm focal lengths.

35mm

50mm

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
Absolutely. A key characteristic of traditional portraiture is to blur out the background which results in the isolation of your subject causing the viewer's eye to go directly to your subject. This has long been a disadvantage to using cameras with sensors smaller than FF such as APS-C, and it's even worse with micro 4/3 cameras. You can get the look that you want by getting a different lens. If you go with a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 prime, then that'll most likely give you the best look because the large aperture. There won't be much of a difference between how much area is blurred between f1.8 and f/1.4. The Pentax 50 f/1.8 will also give you an overall superior image compared to your kit lens set to 50 (such as sharpness, color, contrast, distortion, etc...) which will solve your problem. The 50 f/1.4 will be even better than the f/1.8 in all aspects.

Thank you, I'm giving some serious thought into buying the 50 f/1.8, although I haven't even bought a wedding gift yet.

06-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good, this should give you the idea of your field of view. Indoors 50mm will be pretty tight. Personally, I think something in the 24-35mm range is more useful for candid work.
07-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I missing something here? The OP said he was going to be taking "candid" shots at a wedding reception, right? Then why on earth would he want to use a 24mm-50mm lens? He would have to be virtually in their laps! Why not consider something like a 28mm-105mm zoom? He would have the option of standing off from the subject/subjects and get a real, genuine "candid" shot and not be up in their faces.

But, that's just my thought on the subject.

Dewman
Idaho
07-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess it depends on what candid means - if it means casual shots of people who know you're taking their pictures, then a shorter lens will be ideal. The term has migrated a little to encompass casual, informal portraits.

If it's stealth mode then yeah, somewhat longer is going to be useful. A 28-105 probably would fit both, so would 17-70 most likely.