Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm a little confused by many of the posts here.. the way I read the OP is that they were asking if SR can help if you have tremors or shaky hands. Not just if SR helps in low light or with lower shutter times in general.
Lower light and slower shutter speeds will expose any shake, now matter how steady you are.

06-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I don't have shaky hands but the SR has conditioned me into not even worrying much about exposure time. I really noticed it going out with a group of Canon shooters.

Best I have done was a 2 second exposure whilst the camera was propped against a wall.
07-01-2014, 02:28 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Along with SR don't forget fast burst mode.

Often with a fast burst of 3 or 4 frames I find one frame that is particularly sharp compared to the rest and keep that one.
I use this a lot when shooting birds with tripod mounted long glass with SR off.
It just increases your chances of getting at least one sharp keeper.
07-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbender Quote
change your photography
Changed no, helped yes, it just allows me to hand slower speeds and get acceptable results than would be possible without.

07-01-2014, 04:53 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Changed no, helped yes, it just allows me to hand slower speeds and get acceptable results than would be possible without.
For some people, those who have problems controlling shake, it can change what they do. For those who do not, I think it expands what you can't do. With film the 1/focal length golden rule for shutter speed made a lot of people learn the limits where they could take a shot. SR to some extent allows you to push the envelope quite a bit. Now you think, why not take the shot, where as before it was a waste of time/film Part of this is perhaps also the change to digital, where a shot costs nothing, but part of it is that you simply CAN take more shots
07-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For some people, those who have problems controlling shake, it can change what they do. For those who do not, I think it expands what you can't do. With film the 1/focal length golden rule for shutter speed made a lot of people learn the limits where they could take a shot. SR to some extent allows you to push the envelope quite a bit. Now you think, why not take the shot, where as before it was a waste of time/film Part of this is perhaps also the change to digital, where a shot costs nothing, but part of it is that you simply CAN take more shots
IN digital you already paid for your film, your only choice is whether or not you're going to use it, or leave it sitting in the camera when it dies.
07-01-2014, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Mine is always on (except when doing long exposure with tripod of course). I consider it one of the perks of Pentax and cannot believe how many people say they "turn it off".

Nikon forums have been ablaze with people complaining that the 24MP sensor in the D7100 is not as sharp as the older 16MP sensor... Just because of camera shake. It's not only a matter of illness and shaky hands, it's a matter of getting the most out of your equipment.

07-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Using SR, and with a dying battery that gave silly settings, I have had acceptable results at 1/6 of a second, hand-held. In the daytime! Not bad for a 66 year old...
07-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

One thing it allows is the ability to get shots like this.

Handheld, 1/15 of a second on a 50mm f/1.4 wide open.

Rivulet; Peaks-Kenny State Park; Dover-Foxcroft, Maine

by Jody Roberts, on Flickr
07-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Wow. Purple rain, purple rain...
07-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best way to test if you have shaky hands is to take a picture with small lettering on it(such as a wall calendar) and see if the small lettering comes out in focus. I can go down to about 1/30(while holding my breath) WITH SHAKE REDUCTION, but that's about it. So you might say I have very shaky hands. It gets worse when you open up the Aperture. Below f3.5 it gets really hard to produce perfectly sharp pictures. Holding the camera properly also helps in producing perfectly sharp pictures. If you are standing or sitting in an awkward position, it becomes nearly impossible.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-07-2014 at 04:11 AM.
07-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #42
Forum Member

The SR is really great if one wants to shoot video. One can use old cheap manual primes with good focus rings. It's also nice feature when using LiveView and manual focus.