Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Did shake reduction change your photography?

Has anybody here enjoyed the shake reduction because they have actual shaky hands? My hands shake, and I'm seriously approaching Pentax equipment with that in mind. I guess I mean, as opposed to grabbing another stop, has anybody had the SR really make photography more accessible and more possible as a hobby/lifestyle/obsession?

thanks!

06-29-2014, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does let me get an occasional shot that would not happen without, but honestly I usually have it turned off. I try hard not to rely on it and stick to shutter speeds that I know will work.
06-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It helps a LOT with night photography for me. Less a matter of shaky hands than it is "Well I can actually pull off this shot at 1/30 of a second, handheld... woo hoo!

I was actually shooting tonight on my walk home, and was able to hand-hold some shots down to really stupidly slow levels because of the SR.
06-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You never really know for sure whether it has compensated enough. It's also hard to see minor motion blur on the camera screen. I always take several shots if I can. It probably hasn't changed the shots I attempt, just allowed a few more keepers.

My dad was using a Canon film camera with AF and IS after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. In his case, the IS helped a lot. He was using some older 28-135 zoom.

06-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbender Quote
Has anybody here enjoyed the shake reduction because they have actual shaky hands? My hands shake, and I'm seriously approaching Pentax equipment with that in mind. I guess I mean, as opposed to grabbing another stop, has anybody had the SR really make photography more accessible and more possible as a hobby/lifestyle/obsession?

thanks!
Me!

I have minor tremors that have become worse as I have aged. Getting Pentax rather than Nikon or Canon digital was a no brainier for me. The improvement has not been as great as hoped, but now I can take handheld photos with a fl 50mm or less at 1/250. With film non SR bodies I am limited to 1/1000 or faster for 50mm at times.

Also only OVF works for me because I need to keep the camera pressed against my face. I can't hold the camera still while looking at the screen held out in front of me. I can't use P&S or phone cameras. I can't use my wife's "Q". Getting an SLR was also a no brainier.

The main problem with Pentax is that the cameras are too light in weight. It would be nice if they were a bit heavier. I cheat a bit by keeping a custom built L plate and the OPS1 always attached, even when not needed. The battery grips are too big for my small hands.

I have started using 50/55/70/100/105mm lenses again recently because of SR. I still need more time to evaluate the longer fl results, but so far I am happy. I get bummed out by the low keeper rate on my 55-300 and 50-135 lens results. However I still use a monopod or tripod when I can as they make a big difference.

I just got a set of Canon IS binoculars. I have not been able to use 7x binoculars for 15 years. I am hoping that helps.

Last edited by lmd91343; 06-29-2014 at 10:29 PM.
06-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's why I didn't go the other brands. I can use any lens with shake reduction and it has improved a lot from k10. it has meant i can use the most ridiculous setting and get good shots. I commonly do things outside the rules and I often get the results I want.
06-30-2014, 01:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbender Quote

thanks!
Can't hardly do without it. First I really dislike using tripods, always have, but my hands do shake sometimes, illness thing, so shake reduction really is often a huge help. I have to resort to a tripod a lot to use my film cams. It takes away from my enjoyment of shooting film. I like to hold my camera in my own hands when I shoot.

06-30-2014, 03:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The big thing shake reduction does is help me shoot photos of stationary items like waterfalls when I want a longer shutter speed. So, if I shoot a waterfall with a 40mm lens at 1/10 second, I can do it with SR on, but no way with it off.

06-30-2014, 03:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My hands are a shaky at times and as I get older, It gets worse and even SR can't always compensate for it anymore. It's not a constant thing so for the most part, I get by pretty well. The newer bodies do a really good job at higher ISO settings and my K5 pretty much stays at ISO 800 unless it's very bright out and I'm having a good day. On good days, I have had keepers at 1/2 sec. with SR. On bad days, I have to park my motorcycle because I keep goosing the throttle. It sucks getting old.
06-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I only use SR when/if I need to.. Otherwise it's always off.
06-30-2014, 04:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
The main problem with Pentax is that the cameras are too light in weight. It would be nice if they were a bit heavier.
Have you tried using one of the DIY string tripods? This would allow you to apply a little downward tension similar to more weight. There are pictures at this website showing how to make one.

String Tripod : Parts

Tim
06-30-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always have shake reduction on unless I set the camera for remote, and the camera automatically turn is off. When I've forgot to switch remote off I can tell in the pictures that have slower shutter speeds. It definitely helps if you're hiking or doing any activity where you may be breathing a little heaver, your body tends to move more and it is harder to hold the camera steady. So it doesn't have to be shaky hands, but any slight movement.
06-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Like Rondec, because I've always shot relatively slow shutter speeds...SR is huge... I always shoot the lowest possible ISO, and highest possible Aperture up to ƒ8. Walking around in the forest, SR come into play on almost every image. Until a few years ago when I started taking images of small birds, I honestly didn't see any use for shutter speeds over 1/500. The idea of having endless images that don't make use of the sharpest part of the lens @ƒ5.6 -ƒ8 is somehow foreign to me. For me, you should maximize your resolution, and your sensor for lack of noise and dynamic range, and then mess with your shutter speed, shutter speed is the one thing you won't see in the final print as long as everything else is good.

Once you start having to freeze your subject (small bird, race car, whatever) it brings in a whole new set of compromises.
06-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being able to get clear headshots of performers with a 400mm f/2.8 lens hand held at the back of a concert hall at f/4 1/30th of a second at ISO 3200 has certainly been useful.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-30-2014 at 05:10 AM.
06-30-2014, 05:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of the time I don't even notice that is on. When I'm outdoors I rarely shoot lower than 1/125 so camera shake is a non issue. There are those times when I don't have a tripod and the light is dim where it does come in handy, but my mind is sort of ingrained with never hitting the shutter when I'm below 1/60th that I don't even know if the shake reduction worked or not. I usually boost up the ISO.