Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

micro SD or not

I was wondering if it was possible to utilize a micro SD card and adapter in my K500 in order to copy my files to a tablet while in the field. There are no tablets out there that have full sized SD card readers, but most have micro SD card readers. This is an option I am investigating while trying to decide whether to purchase a tablet.

Thanks in advance.

07-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I only use micro sd.

I changed because I was sick of the sd cards failing. There was nothing wrong with the sd card except for that stupid switch falling off and rendering the sd card read only.

micro sd cards don't have a switch and ive enjoyed failure free cards ever since.
07-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Scotch tape fixes that apparently

PS: I've never had one fall out in the 10 years I've been using SD since I bought the *istDS
07-01-2014, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
I changed because I was sick of the sd cards failing. There was nothing wrong with the sd card except for that stupid switch falling off and rendering the sd card read only.
yees, why are those adapters so fiddly? It a technological marvel to keep so much space on such a tiny card, but they can't make a sensible plastic switch..

07-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keithz Quote
This is an option I am investigating while trying to decide whether to purchase a tablet.
The microSD cards have smaller pieces of flash memory and similar problems with writing large files to contiguous regions on the memory chip, so the actual speed of a microSD card might be slower than a standard sized SD card of the same rated capacity and speed. However, the ARM processor in tablets isn't exactly a speed demon for I/O operations, so you are more likely to have problems using the microSD card with your camera, especially if you take pictures in bursts. The adapter doesn't contain any electronics, it just provides the contacts and electrical paths to adapt the leads on the microSD card to the standard card. Which could be a point of failure, just like the write lock switch.

So, a microSD card will work in your camera, but not any better than a standard sized SD card with the same rated capabilities, and it might be slightly worse. Using a tablet to download and process your 16MP digital images is going to be much, much slower than using a laptop or desktop computer, regardless of what size factor of memory card you put in your camera. I recommend buying an ultrabook laptop over a tablet for anything and everything, including downloading pictures.
07-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I've had problems with micro SD's working reliably with an adaptor in my K5. I don't risk it now.
I use an android USB-OTG adaptor and a small card reader to transfer files to my tablet in the field.

Let us know how you get on.

Bruce
07-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Emperor and Senpai

I'd avoid the micro SD cards because of write speeds. I experienced problems with it before.
07-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So does a spot of superglue I also used to have a problem with lock slides coming off not any more.
Micro write speed are slow
Tablets are ok for viewing but slow to download to

07-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
I've had problems with micro SD's working reliably with an adaptor in my K5. I don't risk it now.
I use an android USB-OTG adaptor and a small card reader to transfer files to my tablet in the field.
Same here. Micro SDs are slower and physically do small I'd be wary of losing them. I definitely prefer an OTG adapter and card reader.

Of course, you'd need quite a lot of memory on that tablet to store your images on. I don't, so I can't... I use it only to browse through what's on the cards.