Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

pentax kx flash stuck

Hi,
I have the pentax kx dslr. I love this little guy, but the pop up flash no longer pops up no matter what i do. I have turned it off and on again, took out the batteries and put new in. If I force the flash up, it does fire, then it will pop up fine for the remained of that usage, but then once I turn it off and leave it for a bit, when I turn it back on, it it back to being stuck. I contacted Richoe, and they said to send it in, but the estimate is "no more than $160" to get it fixed. Sigh. Any suggestions?

Last edited by pixxie; 07-02-2014 at 10:26 AM.
07-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's been a while but my flash was stuck after I accidentally drop the camera. I had to carefully open the camera. The pop up mechanism is prone to misalignment. Unfortunately I didn't document any of it so I don't have a step by step guide or anything...
07-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The crazy thing is that I never dropped it! Anyone else have an idea of how to fix it? I can't find any ideas on youtube either. :/
07-02-2014, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's some links to give you ideas, just use some caution. (They're mostly Canon cameras mentioned, but maybe they'll help.) There's one guy that advises squirting WD-40 into the flash hinges. I would NOT recommend that or any other liquid being sprayed into your camera.

The other option is to just use an external flash. A separate bounce flash will give you much better photos in most cases than the popup flash.

07-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I am saving for an external on camera flash. I do like to use the pop up as my master for firing my alien bees. I guess I need to save up for pocket wizards now too then… grumble grumble.
07-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
Yes, I am saving for an external on camera flash. I do like to use the pop up as my master for firing my alien bees. I guess I need to save up for pocket wizards now too then… grumble grumble.
You can get a cheap set of two PT-01 or PT-04 triggers and transmitter for $30, last I checked. I have the "Trust" brand PT-04's and they work very well. A nice used Sunpak 422D, 433D, or 444D can be had for under $30, too. (I use the 422D's.)
07-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks, Still would love "all" of my camera to work.

I forced the flash up and it is currently popping up with no problem, But as soon as i turn it off for a while, it will be back to not popping up. This is so annoying.

07-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You might check the release button and make sure it's not gummed up with something that would prevent it from "releasing" the flash, and the hinges of the flash itself....could be just dirt and built up grime preventing it from "popping" up ???

just a thought....
07-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
The crazy thing is that I never dropped it! Anyone else have an idea of how to fix it? I can't find any ideas on youtube either. :/
You don't really need to drop it for it to get misaligned. I've heard it happened for some people just from knocking the camera somehow. The mechanism is pretty fragile and I believe was fixed in K-r. Look at this thread for reference: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/156013-repaired-...some-guys.html

Last edited by ruggiex; 07-02-2014 at 12:23 PM.
07-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
woah that is a bit more epic than I can handle.
11-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
any other ideas? I tried opening her up and looking under the hood, but she didn't seem to have anything miss aligned. when I manually press the lever inside, it pups right up, so it is not the spring, but seems to be something with the wiring not communicating with the flash for it to pop....and that is where i draw the line. I called pentax about sending her in for a check up, but it seems the cost of the repair would not be worth it. ANY IDEAS?
11-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a bit of a puzzle.

A few things to try:

With the camera off and your ear close to the flash release switch, press the switch. You should hear a faint but definite 'click'. If you don't it's probably a problem with the switch.

With the camera on, press the flash release switch. Do you hear the solenoid 'thwack'? Note, once the solenoid has fired it physically latches open until the flash has popped up so you may have to 'force' the flash open to reset the solenoid before conducting this test.

It may also be that the solenoid is not moving the release lever far enough or that the release lever is slightly bent or that the plate in the flash that the release lever hooks on to is slightly out of position.
11-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
It's a bit of a puzzle.

A few things to try:

With the camera off and your ear close to the flash release switch, press the switch. You should hear a faint but definite 'click'. If you don't it's probably a problem with the switch.

With the camera on, press the flash release switch. Do you hear the solenoid 'thwack'? Note, once the solenoid has fired it physically latches open until the flash has popped up so you may have to 'force' the flash open to reset the solenoid before conducting this test.

It may also be that the solenoid is not moving the release lever far enough or that the release lever is slightly bent or that the plate in the flash that the release lever hooks on to is slightly out of position.
NO sound is made when i press the button. I can force the flash up and after a few times it starts to pop on it own, but as soon as the camera is off and sits or a bit, it would go back to not popping. AT this point, NOTHING is happening at all with it...
11-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the switch makes no 'click', it would be my guess that it is faulty. But the solenoid should still make a noise when it works.

You've already had the top off so I'd do it again, lift the switch out (one screw) and have a look at it. Also check that the button is seated correctly (tab goes down not sideways). I wouldn't try to disassemble the switch itself.

Put it back together and see what happens.

If that doesn't help, I think you're down to four choices:

Send it in to get the switch replaced.

Try to buy a replacement switch.

Jury rig a replacement switch.

Jury rig a mechanical release working the latch lever.
11-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think at this point, this is all beyond my capabilities. The cost of the repair when talking to pentax, it seems useless and Id rather save up for a new camera. maybe ill just sell this one as is and use that toward my next body