Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #1

Dust

So, I have this speck. Only in my viewfinder. Not on sensor. It's driving me nuts. It's decent size. Shouldn't be hard to see on the mirror or prism. Have cleaned those a dozen times and the speck goes nowhere. Is it inside the viewfinder glass? I can't take it.

07-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's probably on the focus screen, that is very delicate and not easy to clean. If at all possible, learn to live with it. It's like a dirty car window, you might not like it, but when you're driving you don't look at the dirt do you?

EDIT: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/113221...us-screen.html

Also various YouTube videos showing how to do it

Last edited by altopiet; 07-03-2014 at 07:02 AM.
07-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I remember when I first had dust in my viewfinder. Used a rocket blower and made it worse, so now I live with it. I wouldn't touch it, my recommendation. I'm sure we all have dust in there to deal with!
07-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I somehow got a hair on the backside of my focus screen, and was one of those people that tried hard to live with it...but failed. Wasn't too bad to clean, though. I watched a YT video on how to change out a screen. The little tool that comes with the replacement screens is perfect in size and design to lift the release tab, but I found an old pair of mobo tweezers (used to pull jumpers), and they were really effective. In my case. I just had to blow off both sides really good, and when I reinstalled -- looked like new again. If your hands aren't steady working with small things, I would really just learn to live with it. No way I could have done it without those little tweezers, as a regular set weren't angled right to fit in the little clasp inset.

07-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with the above. If you have swapped out focusing screens it is no big deal. But without steady hands, the right tools and some experience you can cause more harm than you fix. If it really bothers you and you do not feel comfortable opening up the camera send it in for a professional cleaning. If you bought the USA extended warranty you a cleaning included that costs only the shipping.
07-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
Welp, being impatient SOB I am, I fixed it. Didn't even have to fully remove the screen. Unlocked it, slowly flipped it down. Couple of air puffs with the Walgreens ear syringe. Popped the lock back in. Voila.
07-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice -- glad it worked out for you