Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01+DA* 50-135 water-damaged: Any chance of recovery?

Well, I borrowed a friend's K-01 for a shoot that required video... and as much as I tried avoiding bad things in the location (countryside shanties propped up in the riverbank), an accident happened. The K-01 + my DA* 50-135, mounted on what I thought was a good-enough tripod, fell down lens-first, the hood cracked and the window popped and disappeared. To make things worse, the entire setup slipped into the water... took me around 5 seconds to get it.

I immediately removed the battery, wiped both camera and lens clean, and checked if any water had seeped into either. The lens was miraculously fine; the K-01 however, looked 50/50 - there was no water in the sans-mirror box, no trace of water entering from that part, but the ports (mic, HDMI, PC) had some. SD card slot was dry, so was the battery cavity with the exception of the battery door which had some drops.

I waited some hours before reluctantly trying it again, and for some reason it turned on, which made me think everything was OK. Tried a manual lens, it was fine. But I tried my DA* on it again and some problems became evident: It had a lot of difficulty operating the AF, and the power fluctuated, from showing green to red and sometimes a shocking "DC in" with only the battery in it. Promptly shut it down and removed everything again. As we were stuck in location I couldn't find a way to dry the camera completely so I waited until nightfall after the shoot. My friend tried it again, it was dead.

So... just asking ... (the camera is now in an airtight box with two dehumidifier packs) is there any chance the camera can still "come back to life?"

...also, the lens' focus ring is making odd, sort of scratchy (like friction-generated) noise when the focus ring is being turned manually... doesn't happen when AF'd from a camera though. Should I also send the lens for repairs? Also, is there anything I shouldn't / should do for the items involved? Thanks in advance...

07-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I suppose the "good" news is that the K-01 isn't worth that much anyway, while the lens is. The hood probably absorbed most of the impact - doing its job. The lens probably should have been rinsed off in the shower - not with high pressure or overly warm water. But this should normally be done while attached to a WR body - which I don't believe the K-01 is. One would expect the lens still has some grit around it from the dirt or unclean water.
07-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
is there any chance the camera can still "come back to life?"
Chance, yes. Keep swapping out the dehumidifier packs, they only absorb so much. If you do not have more try rice. The process might take longer than you think, days even weeks.

Also, it's possible the AF on the lens was damaged, or something bent or misaligned that caused the focusing issues. Not news you want to hear but you should test the lens thoroughly before deciding it was all the camera. Could just be grit or something but then the seals might be compromised. Hard to say without the lens in my hand but if you feel something is wrong I would likely send it in for cleaning and get the seals checked. An impact can cause lots of issues that still allow the lens to appear to function, at least for a while.
07-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Also, it's possible the AF on the lens was damaged, or something bent or misaligned that caused the focusing issues. Not news you want to hear but you should test the lens thoroughly before deciding it was all the camera. Could just be grit or something but then the seals might be compromised. Hard to say without the lens in my hand but if you feel something is wrong I would likely send it in for cleaning and get the seals checked. An impact can cause lots of issues that still allow the lens to appear to function, at least for a while.
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
The lens probably should have been rinsed off in the shower - not with high pressure or overly warm water. But this should normally be done while attached to a WR body - which I don't believe the K-01 is. One would expect the lens still has some grit around it from the dirt or unclean water.
thanks for the tips! rinsed the DA* lens while mounted on my K-5 IIs. It works fine now, and the scratchy noise is gone. Will still go to a repair center to have it checked tomorrow though, just to be sure.

07-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

thanks for the tips! rinsed the DA* lens while mounted on my K-5 IIs. It works fine now, and the scratchy noise is gone. Will still go to a repair center to have it checked tomorrow though, just to be sure.
Glad to hear it! Let us know if it checks out OK!
07-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Glad to hear it! Let us know if it checks out OK!
This just in:

dehumidifier and rice worked like magic! K-01 IS ALIVE!!
07-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter

This just in:

dehumidifier and rice worked like magic! K-01 IS ALIVE!!
Wow! Incredible!

Steve
07-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Excellent! I am always amazed when I read one of these stories about delicate electronics being dunked and then dried and working fine. Glad it all worked out.

07-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

That's great news!
07-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the tips everyone, I never really thought a drowned K-01 will see the light of day again. Well, time to go shooting!