Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Callist Quote
I have a K-r which was my first ever (and currently only) DSLR. I have the kit lenses 18-55 and 50-200 but currently looking for an upgrade path.

This is a Pentax forum and some would say I should expect a biased opinion but is the brand Pentax worth staying in at the moment with the way the company has a record of being sold and bought - will Pentax stay strong?

If I stay on the Pentax path what would be a good upgrade for the kit lenses? I seem to take shots mainly around the 35-50mm mark. Am I right in assuming for the K-r that due to the 1.5x sensor ~33mm would be around 50mm give or take or have I not understood the sensor size theory correctly?

Would the 35mm prime lens (not Limited) be a reasonable upgrade for a lens or pointless?

I guess my main worry is that with a Nikon/Sony/Canon I would have more lens options and more options within the middle quality/price range opposed to Pentax's no middle range (or so it appears). I really want to make sure the camera path is future proof.

I still have a lot to learn so I apologise in advance for any ignorance.
I think everyone would agree that it's more likely that in fifty years, CaNikon will exist in the photo equipment market than Pentax. That doesn't mean it's unlikely that Pentax will be around, but it's just not possible to argue that CaNikon is not a safer bet in that regard.

There has been an alarming (to me, at least) trend for new 3rd party lenses to not be made available for Pentax, particularly in the last 5-10 years. It's a dramatic change from a few decades ago, when essentially every 3rd party lens was available for almost every first and second-tier camera mount. So that's also a valid concern and it would be my primary concern, even more than whether Pentax will be around well into the future. After all, Canon is still around, but that's not much consolation for those of us who had FD lens collections. And of course if you abandon Pentax for the availability issue, you definitely wouldn't want to consider Sony either. You'd have only two brands to choose from.

As for an upgrade path for your two lenses, you have to consider why you want an upgrade. If you need a faster lens, for example, then something like a 50/1.8 would be a huge upgrade. On the other hand if you shoot only landscapes at f16, you might find that lens upgrades wouldn't help you as much.

07-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I think everyone would agree that it's more likely that in fifty years, CaNikon will exist in the photo equipment market than Pentax. That doesn't mean it's unlikely that Pentax will be around, but it's just not possible to argue that CaNikon is not a safer bet in that regard.
My guess is it will be Canon and Ricoh. Possibly Panasonic and Leica too. And I'm probably thinking closer to 20 or 25 years. No idea about Sigma - they're probably the hardest one to predict.

OTOH, it could just be Samsung/Zeiss and Apple/Hasselblad (or Apple/Canon)!
07-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
My guess is it will be Canon and Ricoh. Possibly Panasonic and Leica too. And I'm probably thinking closer to 20 or 25 years. No idea about Sigma - they're probably the hardest one to predict.

OTOH, it could just be Samsung/Zeiss and Apple/Hasselblad (or Apple/Canon)!
We probably need to separate brands from the companies behind them. Nikon does seem to be on life support in the corporate sense, but it seems likely that some other company would pick up the brand. Canon has valuable brand too, but the photographic side of the company isn't doing that much better than Nikon. So what I was speculating was more the survival of the brand and some evolution of the product line than survival of the company.
07-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
So what I was speculating was more the survival of the brand and some evolution of the product line than survival of the company.
Well in that case I might have to agree!

07-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Callist Quote
I have a K-r which was my first ever (and currently only) DSLR. I have the kit lenses 18-55 and 50-200 but currently looking for an upgrade path.

If I stay on the Pentax path what would be a good upgrade for the kit lenses? I seem to take shots mainly around the 35-50mm mark. Am I right in assuming for the K-r that due to the 1.5x sensor ~33mm would be around 50mm give or take or have I not understood the sensor size theory correctly?

Would the 35mm prime lens (not Limited) be a reasonable upgrade for a lens or pointless?

I guess my main worry is that with a Nikon/Sony/Canon I would have more lens options and more options within the middle quality/price range opposed to Pentax's no middle range (or so it appears). I really want to make sure the camera path is future proof.

I still have a lot to learn so I apologise in advance for any ignorance.
You have been given a lot of suggestions so far, but it is hard to blindly suggest lenses without purpose. You have mentioned macro capabilities but nothing else. One thing about macro, a lot of zooms are marked macro, but they are truly not macro lenses. So what other types of photography do you enjoy, or want to try? This can be a great help with knowing what lenses to buy.

And if you want to be future proof, good luck, it's not the camera company that determines this, but yourself. You photographic subject interest will most likely evolve over time.

You may want to download the free program "Exposure plot" and run it on your photos, it will tell you the focal lengths you are using most. It may verify that the 35mm length is right for you, or it may surprise you. If you see a lot of activity at your lower or upper limits, that should tell you to expand your range. But whatever you do, listen to some of the advice given already like Jannis' story of having a lot of mediocre lenses.