Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

Compatibility Pentax K 3 and vivitar macro 100 mm 1:3,5 diameter 4,9 mm

Hello everyone,
I need to buy a new camera because my old one is useless after an accident. I am a dentist and I would like continuing using my vivitar macro and anular flash in my dental practice. Can I use them if I buy pentax k3? Are they compatible?
Thanks in advanced for any information or advice.

07-03-2014, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the vivitar lens has a Pentax mount, the answer is yes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-03-2014, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

If your broken camera is a Pentax 24x36 or APS-c reflex, then it has a Pentax K mount. Then your lens is compatible with a Pentax APS-c DSLR as the K-3.
07-03-2014, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

As Adam said, compatibility is based on mount. Pentax dSLRs are compatible with almost all K-mount lenses*. They may also be used with most M42 screw mount lenses by way of an adapter.

Lenses in Canon, Nikon, Sony, Minolta, Konica, or Olympus mount are generally not usable on a Pentax dSLR.

How well your anular (ring?) flash works will depend on how it was used on your previous camera and the flash capabilities.

Steve

* Available features vary according to whether the lens supports body control of the aperture setting (has the "A" position on the aperture ring and appropriate contacts on the mount face). Those having the A-contacts will support full exposure automation in all camera modes. Those without are limited to stop-down metering. For non-Pentax lenses, there is also a risk of compatibility with lenses having the Ricoh P mount. Those lenses have a small pin that may drop into the AF drive pawl on the body and effectively lock the lens on the camera. For more information, Google "ricoh pin".

07-04-2014, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The flash may also have a high trigger voltage, which can burn out the flash circuitry on a DSLR. You can sometimes find this information online or measure it. There are isolation devices available that protect the camera and allow you to use even high-voltage flashes.
07-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for help me answering my questions. Just to be sure about the compatibility with the lens I would like to add that my old camera was a Pentax ZX 50. Could I really use my old vivitar macro lens with pentax k3? ? Thanks in advanced for helping me.
07-05-2014, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

ZX50 is a recent model (1997).
It is 100% certain that your Vivitar lens will fit on a K-3 as it worked on the ZX50.
I owned a 100mm/3.5 macro lens, same as your Vivitar except that it was branded by Cosina, and it worked perfectly on my Pentax K100D DSLR. It reaches 1:2 without the close-up, 1:1 with it, images are rather good.

My Cosina/Vivitar/Phoenix 100mm macro with 6 extension rings and 1.4x teleconverter.

The only problem is about the ring flash: MZ50 is not P-TTL compatible and the K-3 needs a P-TTL compatible flash.
Your flash is probably a TTL one, it measures light in an old way, with a digital sensor the measure is biased, so you will probably be obliged to use the flash in manual mode.

Last edited by tryphon4; 07-06-2014 at 12:09 AM.