Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #1

Cannot run K10D with Manual lens

K10D. Software version 1
When I have a Sigma Mirror 600mm manual lens 1:8 on the camera the only thing I get on my LCD screen is a flashing "F--" sign. I've tried all the settings I can find to no avail. The manual tells me nothing.
Focus lever is set at MF.
All Beep settings are ticked including "In Focus." It doesn't beep. But it does with A/F lens with Focus lever set to A/F.

Anyone able to help?
Mike.

07-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Gallagher Quote
K10D. Software version 1
When I have a Sigma Mirror 600mm manual lens 1:8 on the camera the only thing I get on my LCD screen is a flashing "F--" sign. I've tried all the settings I can find to no avail. The manual tells me nothing.
Focus lever is set at MF.
All Beep settings are ticked including "In Focus." It doesn't beep. But it does with A/F lens with Focus lever set to A/F.

Anyone able to help?
Mike.
See step 0 in this article:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...-x-k-7-a.html?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even after you'd done all that you may not get the phase detect 'in focus' confirmation with slow lenses and usually not with mirror lenses (because of the way their optics work).
07-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
Adam - thanks for that. I followed the conductivity tip - lightly sanded the lens mount where the sprung bearings contact it and wiped it with acetone. Did the menu settings as required - no success . Any other possibilities?
Mike.

07-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you still get the flashing "F--" ?
07-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

I have a K10D and use it with a Celestron C90 mirror lens with a T-mount. Shorting the connector pins is not necessary except to enable catch-in-focus (maybe not even then).

The menu settings for manual focus lenses are as follows.
Using Older Lenses on Pentax K10D, K200D, K20D | Ricoh Imaging Support

When set as in the link above the flashing "F--" should go away. When in manual mode pressing the green button should activate stop-down metering and set the appropriate shutter speed. Using the DOF preview will activate stop-down metering and the EV bars in the viewfinder. You can then adjust the exposure by adjusting the shutter speed with the edial and the f-stop with the aperture ring (if any) on the lens.

Catch-in-focus will not work with the camera set to manual (MF) focus. You will still get the focus confirmation beep and indicator in the viewfinder but the shutter will fire even if confirmation is not indicated.
07-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When set as in the link above the flashing "F--" should go away. When in manual mode pressing the green button should activate stop-down metering and set the appropriate shutter speed. Using the DOF preview will activate stop-down metering and the EV bars in the viewfinder. You can then adjust the exposure by adjusting the shutter speed with the edial and the f-stop with the aperture ring (if any) on the lens.
A few additional notes...

The flashing will go away, but F__ will still display in the top LCD. Av mode is probably preferable to M mode since this lens is constant aperture. Inaccurate metering is likely (welcome to stop-down metering on the K10D), but can be addressed using exposure compensation.

Steve