Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #1

Camera sensor stabiliztion and old film lenses

Hi forum,

I am very seriously considering buying a k-5 II in the very near future, but I have one question.

I own a number of old tamron adaptall lenses, along with the corresponding mounts for several different brands of old 35mm film cameras. I have heard (correct me if I am wrong) that pentax 35mm film lenses can be used on pentax dslr bodies.

An important factor in my decision is whether these lenses, which are very long (up to 600mm) will be able to use the sensor-based stabilization that pentax cameras offer without having an electronic chip to let the camera know that a lens is attached.

The other half to this question is: will this image stabilization work correctly? The camera will not know how long the lens is, and therefore may not correct unwanted motion for the correct focal length (This may not be a factor in the image stabilization. I kind of made that up imagining that it might be a factor.)

Thank you for any and all responses. I can clarify anything if need be.

07-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenways Quote
An important factor in my decision is whether these lenses, which are very long (up to 600mm) will be able to use the sensor-based stabilization that pentax cameras offer without having an electronic chip to let the camera know that a lens is attached. The other half to this question is: will this image stabilization work correctly? The camera will not know how long the lens is, and therefore may not correct unwanted motion for the correct focal length (This may not be a factor in the image stabilization. I kind of made that up imagining that it might be a factor.)
Yes and yes. The camera will prompt you for the focal length at startup, so as long as you enter it correctly, you'll get the correct degree of compensation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes and yes. The camera will prompt you for the focal length at startup, so as long as you enter it correctly, you'll get the correct degree of compensation.
How does the camera know that there is a lens attached if the old lens doesn't have any electrical contacts?
I know that for canon we have to purchase fake chips just so that the camera beeps when the focus is correct.
07-03-2014, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The shake reduction will work on any lens you can put on the camera. It doesn't need a chip on manual lenses because you will manually enter the focal length. I don't think you will want to use it on the 600mm, because any old manual 600mm lens has to be a monster, one you would use a tripod for, and when you are using a tripod you don't want shake reduction on.

07-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The shake reduction will work on any lens you can put on the camera. It doesn't need a chip on manual lenses because you will manually enter the focal length. I don't think you will want to use it on the 600mm, because any old manual 600mm lens has to be a monster, one you would use a tripod for, and when you are using a tripod you don't want shake reduction on.
I use my 600mm on a monopod, so I assume that the shake reduction will help occasionally. Something still doesn't make sense. How does a Pentax know that there is a lens on the camera if there are no electrical contacts?
07-03-2014, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How does a Pentax know that there is a lens on the camera if there are no electrical contacts?
It doesn't know, and it doesn't care. The focal length prompt will come up whenever the camera fails to detect a modern lens on the camera. Also, on Pentax cameras, AF confirmation will work with any lens- no chip/etc. is needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It doesn't know, and it doesn't care. The focal length prompt will come up whenever the camera fails to detect a modern lens on the camera. Also, on Pentax cameras, AF confirmation will work with any lens- no chip/etc. is needed.
Boy that is great.

Thank you very much to each of the people who replied to this thread! Your help was incredibly fast and very helpful.

This is by far the best forum I have ever been on.

07-04-2014, 02:51 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How does the camera know that there is a lens attached if the old lens doesn't have any electrical contacts?
The relevant contacts on the body get shorted through the lens mount (except when this is painted or anodised) and the camera then assumes that you have a stupid dumb old lens on and asks you for the focal length.