Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

Spotmatic meter trouble

Hello, I have been researching here on the forum. I have replaced the battery twice, the last with the recommended replacement at 1.35. I have checked the contact and cleaned and still cannot get the meter to budge. Even removed the lens from the body to ensure the mechanism works (it does). Now I don't know which way to go. I read questions and answers from "DigitalDiva" and have went through the steps she took but haven't been bless'd. Can anyone suggest anything.

07-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric does repairs on old Pentax cameras & lenses. He is the best there is and very reasonable. Email him a description of what is wrong and he can help.He has been used here on the forum forever....
07-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

One problem is that a leaky battery corroded the wire from the battery terminal to the meter. At some point, Pentax started using stainless steel for the battery terminal to prevent this. If you are feeling handy, you can remove the bottom plate from the camera and look at the single wire leading from the terminal into the camera. It may be just hanging on with insulation.

It is probably a good idea to send the camera out for service anyway. The stainless steel part is tough to reconnect a wire to. Service can check the shutter timing, redo seals, etc. There are service manuals on the internet, but camera repair is hard to learn on the fly, lots of tiny parts and needs some tools.
07-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supportaxian

Photos: Albums
Even if you fix the circuit, the calibration has a good chance of being off. As those old sensors age, they tend to need recalibration. Sometimes, though, they're still accurate. ( Or if you're on a limited budget, you can always pick up another body with a working meter - they're pretty cheap. PM me if you want one, I have a box full.) Your best bet is Eric if you want it all fixed up proper. Home

07-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unless the camera has some sentimental value, then I'd say junk it. For less than $50 you can get another body.
07-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm probably stating the obvious, but is the battery installed correctly? Try flipping it upside down & reinstalling. (worked for me!)