Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Water damaged DA* 16-50

My camera took a bath in a lake almost two weeks back. My K-5 came back like a champ, may need a clean up that's all, considering water literally poured out of it I'm quite pleased. My DA* 16-50 wasn't so lucky. It finally dried out but there is definitely some water stains in the lenses and it seems its lost its ability to focus, even manually. Only thing I'm aware of possibly doing is sending it to Pentax for repair. Anyone try this before and what kind of cost am I looking at?

07-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's almost certainly going to be cheaper to fix it than to buy a new one. If all they had to do was clean it, it probably wouldn't be bad at all. If they're replacing parts, it's going to cost more, of course. It will also take somewhere south of *forever.*

My 50-135 has been with CRIS since March. They're replacing the focus lens group and front lens group and replacing the AF motor and main PCB. The cost will be $335. (It was $224 without the SDM fix - the screw drive AF still worked and I was using that, but since I had it in there anyway...). They've been waiting on parts for it since April 21st with no end in sight.

That said, it will come back to you in like-new condition with a 6 month warranty.

Glad your K5 made it out unscathed!
07-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
It's almost certainly going to be cheaper to fix it than to buy a new one. If all they had to do was clean it, it probably wouldn't be bad at all. If they're replacing parts, it's going to cost more, of course. It will also take somewhere south of *forever.*

My 50-135 has been with CRIS since March. They're replacing the focus lens group and front lens group and replacing the AF motor and main PCB. The cost will be $335. (It was $224 without the SDM fix - the screw drive AF still worked and I was using that, but since I had it in there anyway...). They've been waiting on parts for it since April 21st with no end in sight.

That said, it will come back to you in like-new condition with a 6 month warranty.

Thanks narual. Cost then doesn't seem too frightening... certainly cheaper than a replacement. Is CRIS a group in Pentax or are they a 3rd party? The 6m warranty is nice, maybe with the history I've had with this lens a refurb was in order anyway.
07-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

CRIS is the authorized Pentax repair place in the US. Cost - Your mileage may vary. I dropped mine. Yours took a bath. At least it wasn't salt water. Though if it took long enough to dry, the result might be the same - everything inside corroded. Hope it's not too expensive to repair

www.criscam.com

07-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote

Gracious! Your tale of repairs through CRIS doesn't speak well of Pentax's support of their users, does it? Waiting for parts since April? Not a good way to build customer loyalty. Are there other authorized shops who can handle Pentax?
07-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know I've got to say something in their defense here. If they are getting parts from Japan, from Asia they may be slow because of the damage that Mama Nature has done recently over there. In the past couple of years there have been several major earthquakes , and the aftermath, big waves etc. Also, typhoons, hurricanes. They've lost a lot of factories. Some of them have had to be rebuilt or even abandoned. Two, three years, it's not that much time when you're talking about restoring factories and chains of distribution.

Pentax may be in Japan but I'm sure they source parts from all over and they probably will have shortages of certain parts at time due to bad weather and other things. It's been definitely been affecting cars and getting parts, and BJD dolls, I know that. I'm assuming it's also affected small electronics parts makers as well. You probably can't fix a camera or a lens just like that if your parts factory is a year behind on their orders. Yeah, I'm sure CRIS and Pentax-Ricoh are sometimes to blame, but how fast the turnover is probably depends at lot upon parts availability, how many techs they have available and how many cameras and lenses they are having to fix at any given time. I think we all hate to wait, but sometimes crap happens and there's been tons of bad weather for several years running, fairly regular scenes of natural disasters.

I can see why it might take eight weeks instead of two maybe sometimes. The only time I think I'd get too upset is when it starts to turn into several months and even then I'd be wanting to know why. If they said "parts are back ordered" I'd be upset but I'd also understand I think. I mean what can they do really except wait themselves? I'm sure there's a whole network in place of people they get parts from. If there's a problem, a weak link in the chain? It can probably mess things up quite a bit. I don't think CRIS can always control all that and I think maybe we can be a bit hard on them when we expect every repair to only take two weeks. I wish it could, of course, but I have to wonder if expecting that from them all the time is asking for a minor miracle considering...
07-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Something that hadn't occurred to me, since I work in NYC I can probably drop it off at one of the big store fronts like B&H or Adorama.... shipping it off is still a little unsettling to me for some reason. Or is it just going to end up at Pentax anyway?
07-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
Something that hadn't occurred to me, since I work in NYC I can probably drop it off at one of the big store fronts like B&H or Adorama.... shipping it off is still a little unsettling to me for some reason. Or is it just going to end up at Pentax anyway?
It will probably end up at CRIS. You could try Eric -- Home -- if it's fixable without parts, he'll probably get it done faster and better than CRIS.

But if it's going to require Pentax parts to repair it, you'll have whatever delay that introduces regardless of where it ends up.