Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

Battery Grip on K-3 and K-5 II Problem

Okay, not sure if this is "Operator overhead miss alignment" or Pentax issue.

I have a Pentax battery grip on my K-3, a non-Pentax grip on the K-5 II. BOTH recently exhibited the same issue. With the grips on, both power switches on, battery usage set to 'Auto', when moving the cameras left, right, forward or back, not roughly, just moving. The back screen will flicker, turn off, camera will turn off will come back on, shutter will trigger.

At first, it was just the K-3, and I was concerned, since this body was only 3 months old, would have to have to send it in for repair. So I tested the K-5 II just to see if I was getting the same response, turns out I was, so I took the grips off, everything normal.

I hand tightened the grips on, so as not to over tighten either grip. it sounded like there was something loose with both, not much, just a tiny bit. Checked everything, latches were closed on battery compartments. Sound goes away with grips off.

Could it be the 'auto' feature losing connect with the second battery, just a tiny bit? I turned off the antishake and rotate screen, just as a test to make sure they were not causing it as a software issue.

Will do some more testing, and hopefully video the issue and post.

07-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you use the same batteries in each test?
07-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, freshly charged.
07-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may have a battery problem if the fault is common to both cameras.

07-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
ak_kiwi, Thanks, it is very intermittent. I think it may be related to how the camera uses batteries, Auto, Batery 1 then Battery 2, or reverse. I believe that Auto is causing a problem, so I set it to Battery 1 then battery 2. It went away in both cameras for couple weeks, now back in the K-3. Took the battery grip off, could not stand the camera turning offand restarting, triggering a shot!, or the screen blanking off, it was wacko!
08-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hi. I don't know if this will help but a few days ago i tried using my generic grip on my K5 but could not make it work. The LCD screen always showed the grip battery to be nearly depleted or not there at all. It was working perfectly on my K7. After many hours of frustration, I thought I'd use a pencil rubber eraser to clean the grip contacts on my K5 (aerosol contact cleaner did not work). Now, everything works smoothly. I hope this helps.
08-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
I'll try that. all the equipment is less than a year old. so it puzzles me a bit.

08-20-2014, 02:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by morph00 Quote
I'll try that. all the equipment is less than a year old. so it puzzles me a bit.
Hi, after my last post, I noticed that my generic battery grip was draining the batteries too fast. Within two days the freshly charged eneloops and lithium battery in the grip were dead. I think there is an inherent defect in its design. Today, I received my brand-new genuine Pentax K5 grip that I bought from an e b a y seller in Japan. I am positive this will end my problem with the grip. Cheers.
08-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
el baroda - Interesting. I have a generic on the K5 II and a Pentax on the K-3. I'm having the problem with both grips. I first thought the grips were no on tight enough, checked for "wiggle" none. I eventually tried had the cameras use the body battery first then the grip battery, instead of 'automatic selection', that appeared to work, until I changed batteries, no idea what happened started up again. All batteries are Pentax, no 'off' brands. I've taken the grips off for now. I'm thinking disabling the rotate screen and the 'bubble level' features next. Test grin battery usage first before camera body battery, work through some sequences, I like the feel of the grips on the bodies.

Will just have to figure it out. I am baffled.
10-13-2014, 04:20 AM   #10

K3 grip

Hi morph00 I am having the same problem with my new K3 and an original Pentax grip for the K3, I paid £165 for the grip so a little cheesed off to say the least , once the grip is remove no problem , so im wondering is there any point in asking for a replacement grip if there is a problem with the design.
01-29-2015, 04:48 AM   #11

am now sending my K3 back as this is still happening even when i take the grip off now
02-03-2015, 01:55 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by el baroda Quote
Hi, after my last post, I noticed that my generic battery grip was draining the batteries too fast. Within two days the freshly charged eneloops and lithium battery in the grip were dead. I think there is an inherent defect in its design. Today, I received my brand-new genuine Pentax K5 grip that I bought from an e b a y seller in Japan. I am positive this will end my problem with the grip. Cheers.
My new Pentax grip works very well with my Pentax K5. I have not tried it on my K7. My generic grip is now officially retired.