Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do I update my firmware

I went to the Richo/Pentax website to see if there were any updates to my camera but there is nothing there but a small article called Firmware 101. I don't see anything about downloading firmware ?

07-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey, welcome! Which camera do you have?
A good place to start might be here:
Pentax Firmware Updates - PentaxForums.com Homepage Blog

Edit: There are also many threads with step by step guides
07-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here you go: Latest K-5II/K-5IIs Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
07-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey, welcome! Which camera do you have?
A good place to start might be here:
Pentax Firmware Updates - PentaxForums.com Homepage Blog

Edit: There are also many threads with step by step guides

Thank you I'll take a look

07-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do not deviate from the update procedure as posted on the site. Also make sure you download the correct update file - there's a different file for the K-5II and the K-5IIs. Under no circumstances must you use the wrong update file or you may brick your camera.

Copied from update site:

Updating Procedure

Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.
[K-5II] Fwdc216b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
[K-5IIs] Fwdc218b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc216b.bin] or [fwdc218b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.
Insert the the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera and close card cover.
Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.
"NOW LOADING" appears in the LCD monitor, and will change to the "PROGRAM UPDATE". At the bottom of the LCD monitor,
CURRENT VERSION 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.03/1.04/1.05/1.06
UPDATE VERSION 1.07
will be displayed.
Press the four-way controller to select "YES" and press the "OK" button.
"UPDATING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the update is completed.
It will take approximately 150 seconds to complete update.
When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.
Remove the update SD card from the camera.
To check the Firmware version in your camera, turn the camera on while pressing the MENU button.
Check that the version displayed in the LCD monitor is "Ver.1.07"
The camera automatically starts up after about 5 seconds
07-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Do not deviate from the update procedure as posted on the site. Also make sure you download the correct update file - there's a different file for the K-5II and the K-5IIs. Under no circumstances must you use the wrong update file or you may brick your camera.

Copied from update site:

Updating Procedure

Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.
[K-5II] Fwdc216b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
[K-5IIs] Fwdc218b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc216b.bin] or [fwdc218b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.
Insert the the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera and close card cover.
Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.
"NOW LOADING" appears in the LCD monitor, and will change to the "PROGRAM UPDATE". At the bottom of the LCD monitor,
CURRENT VERSION 1.00/1.01/1.02/1.03/1.04/1.05/1.06
UPDATE VERSION 1.07
will be displayed.
Press the four-way controller to select "YES" and press the "OK" button.
"UPDATING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the update is completed.
It will take approximately 150 seconds to complete update.
When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.
Remove the update SD card from the camera.
To check the Firmware version in your camera, turn the camera on while pressing the MENU button.
Check that the version displayed in the LCD monitor is "Ver.1.07"
The camera automatically starts up after about 5 seconds

Did not work for me mark. I tried it with the card in the camera then with the card in the computer. The file downloads but where it writes it I don't know ?
07-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mac or PC? Either way download the mac version as it is a simple zip file. Extract the .bin file to a known location (make sure you have the correct file for your camera). Extract to desktop or downloads or whatever, just someplace you can find it. Now copy the extracted .bin file onto the SD card into the root, not in any directory, it must show as a stand alone file not in a directory. Insert the card into the camera and follow the directions above.

07-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In the past I had trouble too until I realized I had to extract the file before putting it on the sd card.
07-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried extracting the file, but I'm having trouble writing it to my flash card ?
07-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I tried extracting the file, but I'm having trouble writing it to my flash card ?
Download the correct update file to anywhere on your PC where you'll find it again. (I use a folder in my Downloads Folder, called Pentax) When you install the update, it will extract two files, a .bin file and a readme.txt file. That's the readme file which has all the instructions as how to install to your camera. The .bin file is the firmware update file which needs to go in the root folder on your SD card.

I assume you have an SD card reader, if not, you can use your camera tethered to the computer as a card reader.

If you do not feel confident doing this, then take your camera to a good camera shop who will be glad to do it for you for a fee.

Remember to ensure you have a good, formatted SD card. (Formatted in the camera) Make double sure you have a fully charged battery in the camera when installing the firmware. Do not under any circumstances turn the camera off while it's installing the firmware update.
07-07-2014, 05:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Just to add the K5 ll(s) firmware is a downloadable .exe file. That .exe file should be either downloaded and executed on one's computer in an independent folder,(as mentioned above) then copy the extracted .bin file to the SD card root directory OR download/copy the .exe file to the root directory of the SD card then run it to extract the .bin file within the SD card root directory. Afterwards the camera will acknowledge the firmware update.
07-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Were there ever any firmware upgrades for the Pentax K5?

I just to a quick look at the update blog and didn't see any.

Tom G
07-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Were there ever any firmware upgrades for the Pentax K5?

I just to a quick look at the update blog and didn't see any.

Tom G
Approximately 9 updates

Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging
07-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Oldbayrunner,

I'm still using the original factory settings on my K5. A question to those who have updated the firmware - Is there any noticeable improvement in performance when the new firmware is installed?

Thanks

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 07-17-2014 at 06:27 PM.
07-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks Oldbayrunner,

I'm still useing the original factory settings on my K5. A question to those who have updated the firmware - Is there any noticeable improvement in performance when the new firmware is installed?

Thanks

Tom G
In truth, for me the improvements have been minor. More stable, less 'yank the battery' episodes, bot other than that, no real differences.