Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 21
Pentax k-x display not working

Hello
I purchased a Pentax kx back in Feb 2010 from B&H
The camera has sparingly been used but today i took it out of the camera bag (KATA 467 also from B&H) and the LCD would not show anything
The shutter and viewfinder seem fine but Live View would not open the shutter (Video mode would)
Tried new batteries and different lens with no success

Any suggestions?

Thanks

07-07-2014, 02:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
I've had similar issues over the last year or so
with my K-x from the same time period.
Sometimes the display works, sometimes it doesn't.

Since I normally don't use live view with telephoto lenses,
that's the body that got the telephoto,
and that helped me break the chimping habit!


QuoteOriginally posted by jersey_m Quote
Any suggestions?
My ultimate solution was to call four years good enough,
and get a new K-50. They're cheap enough now.
07-07-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,906
sometimes the k-x can get slow to display : just press info once or twice to push him to wake up.

for LV, it should be quick quick to react. Force the k-x to wake up buy pressing info, then press LV, it should work.

If not, i have no further idea.
07-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
sometimes the k-x can get slow to display : just press info once or twice to push him to wake up.

for LV, it should be quick quick to react. Force the k-x to wake up buy pressing info, then press LV, it should work.
I have my two K-x bodies set up with the info display turned off,
in order to conserve the batteries.

Unfortunately, pressing the info button had no effect
on the body where the screen stopped displaying.

It may be that the contacts on the info button are corroded,
after four years of hard use in various conditions.

07-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 21
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
sometimes the k-x can get slow to display : just press info once or twice to push him to wake up.

for LV, it should be quick quick to react. Force the k-x to wake up buy pressing info, then press LV, it should work.

If not, i have no further idea.
The display doesn't wake up no matter what button i press or even if I press combinations such are INFO (x4) or Info + Menu
07-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,906
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Unfortunately, pressing the info button had no effect on the body where the screen stopped displaying. It may be that the contacts on the info button are corroded, after four years of hard use in various conditions.
after three and half years of intense use, mine start to show this same symptome (info button working when it want to). the shutter button tend to not depress itselfg completely too.
But the damn body went into snow, ice, sun, sand, cliff, mountain, mud, dust, forest, and always worked like a charm it's almost unkillable in "normal" use
07-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 21
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
after three and half years of intense use, mine start to show this same symptome (info button working when it want to). the shutter button tend to not depress itselfg completely too.
But the damn body went into snow, ice, sun, sand, cliff, mountain, mud, dust, forest, and always worked like a charm it's almost unkillable in "normal" use
Well mine died with very occasional use and judging by google search results - it has for others too
Once repaired it will be on sale
07-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,222
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey_m Quote
Well mine died with very occasional use and judging by google search results - it has for others too
Once repaired it will be on sale
Sorry you had a bad experience. I don't remember any particular trend of poor reliability of the K-x on this site. I suppose I should qualify that by saying that we have not had a pattern of rants related to K-x problems. Of course, it has been several years since the camera was released and my memory is not as good as it used to be.


Steve

07-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't remember any particular trend of poor reliability of the K-x on this site. I suppose I should qualify that by saying that we have not had a pattern of rants related to K-x problems.
Power management problems were a hot topic at one point,
but fortunately products like the Eneloops,
along with the firmware updates,
took care of the issue.
07-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,222
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Power management problems were a hot topic at one point,
but fortunately products like the Eneloops,
along with the firmware updates,
took care of the issue.
Oh, yeah...batteries!


Steve
07-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,909
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Power management problems were a hot topic at one point,
but fortunately products like the Eneloops,
along with the firmware updates,
took care of the issue.
Not on my K-x. I bought mine in 2010 too and it's still working fine. But the battery issue is still there and I have the latest firmware.
07-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Not on my K-x. I bought mine in 2010 too and it's still working fine. But the battery issue is still there and I have the latest firmware.
Which batteries are you using,
and what is your battery selection
on Page 3 of the "Wrench" menu?

I use Eneloops (or equivalent), and "Ni-MH".
07-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,909
I use the only battery that works best, Eneloops. And camera is set Ni-MH.
07-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I use the only battery that works best, Eneloops. And camera is set Ni-MH.
If the Eneloops aren't worn out, then I don't know what would help.
Are the spring contacts clean and springy?
(I had to bend them out a bit on one of my K-x bodies,
just to get the blue light to come on after installing the batteries.)

BTW, I've also found the Energizer Recharges to work very well,
with no noticeable difference from the Eneloops:

Energizer Accu Recharge Extreme AA-HR6 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
07-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,909
I tried Energizer rechargeables and I did notice a difference, they just didn't keep up like my Eneloops did. I also have a Energizer recharger, which takes too long to charge their batteries (13 hours).

For the Eneloops I use their charger and it charges in 7 hours and no problems. As for the contacts they are fine. I've never had the K-x never come on and show the display, it's just the battery indicator that doesn't work right.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, pentax, pentax k-x display, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-X MF AF switch not working viper56 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 06-29-2013 07:09 PM
Pentax K-X not working after a lens change. Gerald Visitors' Center 3 02-19-2013 03:11 PM
Pentax k-x hotshoe not working in manual mode crimespree Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 06-17-2011 05:52 PM
Pentax K X screen not working!! mrmoses Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 05-13-2010 08:15 PM
survey: batteries working/not working with the K-x noou Pentax DSLR Discussion 25 12-03-2009 02:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top