Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2014, 04:53 AM   #1

Broken advance lever.

Hello, my problem started only recently. I bought a second hand pentax program A 50mm SLR, which was working perfectly. All the electronics and mechanics worked as they should. The previous owner said that he was selling it on behalf of a dead family member and had been found sitting in a box. I've put 4x24exp films through the camera with no issues at all. after finishing the fourth film i proceeded to remove the film (correctly) and placed a new film in. But when it came to reloading the film by winding it around the white column where the film wraps around (advance reel) i came into a problem. The lever that moves the column, moves fully but does not turn the reel. Obviously the camera is pretty useless if I can not advance the film. So what i am asking is, is this a known fault? and does anyone have any solutions/ diagnostics for the problem.

Thanks for the help and taking the time to read, Joe.

07-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
It is possible that the return cycle after the shutter opened and closed did not complete.
This leaves the advance out of gear or in other words in neutral.
Could check if the shutter is still able to cycle if in B or 100 setting or if the mirror is stuck in the up position?
If it looks normal but still stays out of gear, check to see if the shutter is not closing all the way?
07-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you rotate the lever after taking a shot, you should feel some resistance from the gears and from the shutter being reset. If you don't fully rotate the lever all the way to the end, it will then have a very loose feeling and you won't be able to take a shot. When you rotate the advance lever does it also cock the shutter so you can take another picture or is it abnormally loose? It could be that the lever just hasn't been pushed all the around.