Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter

On a tripod in bright sunlight?

What do you do when the back of the camera is exposed to the sun while on a tripod so that you can see the view screen better...besides the obvious...move out of the sun?

07-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Delkin pop-up hood, or similar. Some have a protective LCD cover when the hood is up. I had one on my first camera, but the pop-up part popped off in the desert, and I never got another :-)
07-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hoodman loupe:

Hoodman HoodLoupe Optical Viewfinder for 3.2" LCD H32 B&H
07-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cover the viewfinder. This may not have a dramatic effect with a short exposure time, but light can get around the mirror and ruin a longer exposure. You should have a viewfinder cover when you use a neutral density filter on the lens.

When you have the camera up to your eye, your shutter speed is likely to be less than a second and the viewfinder is shadowed by your head. The mirror seal works well enough to block light leaks. I like to at least shadow the viewfinder that much when the camera's on a tripod. The main effect is that it's now a habit, so I remember to check when it might really matter.

07-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I never go out shooting without a baseball cap. Simply adjust the brim until unwanted light is blocked (even if it makes you look like an idiot )
07-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have said, cover the viewfinder.

I am not as concerned about ruining a shot with light leakage around the mirror as I am with screwing up the metering. Metering is off the focusing screen therefore light entering the eye piece can really screw this up.

Years ago, Ricoh had a manual eyepiece shutter just for this. Pentax sells an eyepiece cover (usually found inside the camera kit somewhere) with the camera body
07-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shakey Quote
What do you do when the back of the camera is exposed to the sun while on a tripod so that you can see the view screen better...besides the obvious...move out of the sun?
There seem to be various interpretations of the question; I'm guessing you mean "back LCD", not viewfinder. My experience has been that sun doesn't have that much effect on the viewfinder image, except to sometimes make the poorly-illuminated viewfinder data difficult to read. That's particularly true for those of us with glasses. As I posted in another thread, the lack of a built-in eyepiece blind is a glaring deficiency in every Pentax model; the fact that many competitors don't have one is not an excuse.

As for the back LCD, if you don't have a special device (such as a hoodman, etc.), there is no obvious solution. What are you trying to see on the LCD - reviewing image details, using live view, or looking at data (exposure, iso, etc.)?
07-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two aspects of your scenario: Use a viewfinder blind to prevent light from entering the viewfinder and affecting exposure.

For the second item, your LCD is plenty bright but there is simply no way it can be as bright as the sun. The issue is your pupils contract with the surrounding much brighter light. So unless you take steps to block or substantially reduce the surrounding light from your eyes, it will always be difficult to see the LCD panel. I'm sure you have seen old photos of photographers with large frame cameras on tripods where the photographer had his head under a dark cloth? Same reason. All of the above suggestions are alternatives to achieving the same thing. My wife has looked annoyed when in desperation I've put my jacket over both my head and the camera. But you do what you have to do.