Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

Buy Pentax

What are the best places in the United States to buy Pentax cameras and lenses?

07-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I used to prefer

Amazon
B+H
Adorama

because of Amazon's ease of return.

Now I prefer B+H a bit more than Amazon... but it takes a while to ship it to me in California. Where are you located?

(PS - I'd never buy from Abe's of Maine unless it was much, much cheaper than the above 3. Others are hit-and-miss).
07-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If I had a local place, I would want to buy there. But I don't, so...

Amazon, Adorama, and B&H are probably the biggest Pentax outlets. Though there are other local/regional stores that sell online. Maybe others can recommend. I've used B&H and have been quite satisfied.
07-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

I seem to prefer Adorama...nothing against the others. I have used both the biggies...b&h and Adorama. Can't go wrong with either.

07-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
If you don't mind used, then this forum's marketplace is a good option. Adorama and B&H are very popular, just a bummer for us living in NY and NJ who have to pay sales tax. I've bought stuff off Amazon and eBay before too.
07-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I have bought most of my Pentax gear from Amazon and eBay. Amazon's new prices are hard to beat but it seems like B&H and Adorama offer better kits and packages. If shopping on eBay then look for auctions where a seller offers a return policy. Most do. Amazon's used prices tend to be higher than eBay's but there are a few times when it could be lower. Just be patient. I also bought my Q from Newegg. The transaction went well. Of course, as others have mentioned there is the marketplace here on the forum for used gear. Prices may be higher but you're getting a product that is better looked after. Buying something from a fellow Pentaxian who understands and takes care of their gear has to be worth something too.
07-09-2014, 12:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazon and KEH are where I buy most as I buy used, though I have also bought from Adorama and B&H. I also thrift for older gear, though not so much lately.
07-09-2014, 03:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter

If you buy from Abes of Maine, Adorama or B&H, do it through the links in this thread. Then PM Adam that you bought through his links and you will get site member status.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/97599-free...opaz-labs.html

Tim

07-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. I'm in Florida. I have used only B&H and have been very pleased with their service. Anyone used the Ricoh/Pentax web store?
07-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter

No. The prices always seemed poor.
07-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mmarquardt Quote
Thanks for all the responses. I'm in Florida. I have used only B&H and have been very pleased with their service. Anyone used the Ricoh/Pentax web store?
Yeah, you'd think you'd get VIP service by going through the Pentax web store, but it seems that the opposite is the case. They botched some pricing up big time last year and poisoned the well for lots of folks.

... And the prices suck.
07-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If you can find a local camera shop and not a big box store like Best Buy, then you can go in and see if the associate will give you a break on the price. Online stores are restricted by minimum advertised pricing (MAP) which is why everyone has the same pricing. You can't call Amazon's customer service and say, hey I'm buying a lot of stuff, can you gimme a break on this or that. It's just not going to happen. However, a local independent store will usually give you a discount on the accessories if not the whole thing. I did this when I purchased my camera and got a 10% discount off the MAP online.

And if you don't have a local independent, then find one online and call them directly.
07-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you need input on what you really need, call B&H. Their salespersons are knowledgeable and helpful. They also have a "Ask B&H Photo" forum here. My experience with Adorama has been good too.
07-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #14

I m live in Viet nam,how can I buy pentax camera used in
USA I like K5
07-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoan dinh dieu Quote
I m live in Viet nam,how can I buy pentax camera used in
USA I like K5
By looking in our Marketplace.