Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Silly question, but what brand of batteries?

I had an enlightening experience after buying my K-30 that some brands of rechargeables are less than ideal. If the batteries are physically crap, they can cause mayhem with how the camera operates.

F'rinstance, it took me a while to figure out why my Rayovacs were causing my camera to shut down, have mirror slap, and were only lasting for a handful of shots.

Then I compared them to my other batteries and went 'oh'.

I use Duracell :

07-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
I use Duracell :
I've been sticking with the Energizers. The Rayovacs have either been tossed or are relegated to the TV remotes.

In my case the loss of that extra few millimeters meant they weren't making solid contact in the AA adapter, which led to the camera not being happy. At all.
07-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What are the odds of this! The camera works fine now, after I tried THREE sets of batteries. Two sets were brand new, right out of the box. One set, Kodak rechargeable NMHD, the other Energizer Lithiums. I charged three sets last night, left them on all night and this afternoon, I put them in the camera, erased all exposures and started with an empty 2GB SD card. It showed a possible 467 shots. I shot 300 shots in rapid succession in burst mode, bracket mode, single exposure, some with flash, every available ISO setting, different lenses - you name it - and it finally began to show a slight battery drain at 300 shots. I managed to shoot the entire 467 shots with some battery still left. These were the Kodak rechargable batteries. I've never seen anything like this in my life, have you?

So, I contacted the seller and told her I'd keep the camera.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Maybe the camera had gone unused for a very long time before you got it?

07-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Maybe the camera had gone unused for a very long time before you got it?
That is very possible. It had a very low shot count on it, less than 1,400. It looks virtually brand new. They were the original owners and bought it when it first came out. For $186.00, with a case, batteries, charger, a 18-55mm kit lens, a Pentax flash, all the original Pentax software, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, manuals and a couple of filters, etc, I was tickled that it worked out like it did.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Hmmm...that can happen with flashes -- some capacitor in there needed some juice to wake up? Bad batteries or contacts still seems more likely...
07-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Hmmm...that can happen with flashes -- some capacitor in there needed some juice to wake up? Bad batteries or contacts still seems more likely...

I did take a pencil eraser and rub the contacts a little, then cleaned them with a Q-tip and a little alcohol. That might have had something to do with it, also.... but they didn't look very dirty and certainly NOT corroded.

Dewman
SW Idaho

07-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I did take a pencil eraser and rub the contacts a little, then cleaned them with a Q-tip and a little alcohol. That might have had something to do with it, also.... but they didn't look very dirty and certainly NOT corroded.

Dewman
SW Idaho
I think that had everything to do with it. Hardly takes any oxidation in the contacts to cause an "iffy" connection. Which would display itself exactly as you described.

Anyway. Glad to hear it worked out, and I hope the camera treats you well.
07-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
I think that had everything to do with it. Hardly takes any oxidation in the contacts to cause an "iffy" connection. Which would display itself exactly as you described.

Anyway. Glad to hear it worked out, and I hope the camera treats you well.
Yep, I'm a happy camper and all is well between me and the seller. Nice folks, too. West Virginians. Her husband also attended the US Navy Photographer's "A" School in Pensacola, only many, MANY years after I did. Small world.

I already had a K2000 and I really like it and the price on this one was just too good for me to pass up. I contemplated buying a more sophisticated body (read: more MP), but I'm quite the novice in the digital world, so.... I figured I'd spend some time learning the ins and outs of this strange new world before I graduated to something more involved. At present, they do everything I need to do and I can always pass the two K2000s on to my granddaughters when/if I move up. Now.... can anyone give me the name of a natural healing aid for this gawd-awful LBA virus?

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-16-2014, 03:34 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Now.... can anyone give me the name of a natural healing aid for this gawd-awful LBA virus?
Ask the wife for permission before you hit the enter bid button.

Tim
07-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Ask the wife for permission before you hit the enter bid button.

Tim
That won't work, Tim..... I'm single. Woe is me! I thought this would pass, but it seems to be a terrible, debilitating disease that continues to linger on and on and on! I now even have multiple duplicates! This isn't like me. Disorentation, dizziness, delirium, nagging memory loss and a low grade fever, too!
07-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Have you checked to see what firmware it is running? Later firmware may address this problem. Glenn
I never saw an answer to this. Does the firmware match between your two k200s? If not it could be why they behave differently.

If it is the same then a hardware problem would be the most obvious answer, but it could be in any form so difficult to pinpoint.
07-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm single. Woe is me! I thought this would pass, but it seems to be a terrible, debilitating disease that continues to linger on and on and on!
Being single or CBA/LBA?

Steve
07-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Being single or CBA/LBA?

Steve
Sometimes one can lead to the other.
07-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter