Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Serious battery drain! What could cause this?

I bought a K2000 from a person on eBay and it arrived today. Cosmetically, the camera and 18-55mm DAL lens looked almost new. It came with a new package of rechargeable AA batteries, but with no SD card. I inserted the batteries, turned the camera on and it lit up, as expected. I ran down to the local WalMart and bought a 16GB SD card, a 4-pack of AA Lithium batteries and rushed back, anxious to play with my new toy. Much to my surprise, after I inserted the card and turned the camera on, it showed that the batteries were dead! So, no problem, I thought.... the ones they sent with the camera were probably just old and need to be charged. So, I put the new lithium batteries in and the indicator glowed bright green. I took TWO test shots and the battery indicator showed only half strength! Hmmm..... what gives? Any ideas? Could it be a faulty indicator.... or does it foretell a more serious problem?

I hate to send it back as I bought it for what I thought was a great price at $186.00, complete with a few extras. Image count was 1388.

Thanks for any suggestions, information and comments.
Dewman
Bummed in Idaho

07-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Does the camera have a menu item somewhere that lets you set the type of batteries that in it? Lithium, rechargeables, and alkaline batteries all have a different power "profile" and devices usually need to know which is being used in order for the battery indicator to be remotely accurate...
07-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The battery level indicators on my K10D and Olympus point and shoot are next to useless. They seem have only three modes: fully charged, nearly dead and dead. And nearly dead only shows up when there are only a few shots worth of power left. I will just recharge the batteries or put a fresh set in before doing anything "important".
07-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Does the camera have a menu item somewhere that lets you set the type of batteries that in it? Lithium, rechargeables, and alkaline batteries all have a different power "profile" and devices usually need to know which is being used in order for the battery indicator to be remotely accurate...
Yes, it does. Before I took any test shots, I went through the menu and set everything to my prefered settings, including the battery selection. At first, I just set it on "Auto Detect," but after discovering the problem, I went back and set it to "Lithium." If I take a few shots, it shows only half-strength, but if I let is sit for a while, it seems to recover and will indicate full charge again.

I have contacted the seller and expressed my wish to keep the camera but I'm of the opinion that it was not as it was described - "A great camera and works fine." It needs to be looked at by a professional and I indicated this to the seller. I'll just wait for their response before I go any further. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.... it's also difficult to take just a single shot, as the camera wants to shoot multiples with a single push of the shutter release button, plus it makes some rather strange internal noises immediately after taking a shot. I was a little dismayed to find that the seller shipped the camera without a body cap, leaving it open for all kinds of dust and debris to find it's way into the internals.

I have another K2000 - one that works properly - so I have one with which to compare it.... and they ain't the same!

I was a little suspicious when, after unpacking the camera, I noticed a "Friendly reminder" that they didn't offer any refunds. I'm not too worried though. Paypal is pretty good at making things right. It's not like were talking about a huge sum of money, but I find it hard to believe that the seller wasn't aware of the problems mentioned before shipping it. I like to think the best in people, but sometimes, I have my doubts and become less optimistic. Oh well.... that's eBay. Always a Pig in a Poke!

Dewman
Idaho

07-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Anything from ebay/paypal that is not as described and you can get your money back no matter what the seller says. Whether it was deliberate, who's to say, many people sell stuff they know nothing about, and if it turns on then it "works fine"....
07-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Anything from ebay/paypal that is not as described and you can get your money back no matter what the seller says. Whether it was deliberate, who's to say, many people sell stuff they know nothing about, and if it turns on then it "works fine"....
Yep, I'm not too worried about it. I'd like to keep the camera but not if they won't make it right when it comes to the repair costs. Oh well, it's not like it's the only K2000 in the world.

Dewman
Idaho
07-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My *ist DS did the multiple shots thing for a while, but cleaning the battery contacts has fixed it forever. When it acted up, only one shot would be recorded, and the shutter seemed to fire at 6 fps, while the camera was only fated at 3 fps. The clean should be simple enough. After that, I'd send it back.
07-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the battery discharged so fast they would get really hot. If that is the case, then check if they actually have no charge left (with a flashlight or another camera), then itīs a hardware problem. If they are not hot at all and you can check they still have charge, then it could be a software problem.

07-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm afraid I've embrarrassed myself. The multiple exposures was caused by the camera being set at "bracketing" instead of single exposure! Duh! MY bad. The only remaining - and REAL - issue is the battery drainage. It take fine photographs, that's not an issue.

The seller has contacted my and was rather terse in her response, somewhat implying that I was trying to scam her, but I did my best to remain amicable and none-confrontational. If I can't resolve the problem, I'll get in touch with a camera repair facility and seek their advice. Then, we'll go from there. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to suggest that we split the cost of repair? After all, it will cost me at least $25.00 to ship it back to the seller, and I DO want to keep it, but not if it's going to cost me much more than $40-$50.

Sheez.... I don't need this headache! I've been down with the flu for over six days and I feel like crap! Woe is me!
07-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Unless it really is just dirty battery contacts or something, I can't see any "real" repair costing less than $100-$150...I'd just send it back for a refund (which you'll get whether the seller likes it or not) and buy a different one. You shouldn't have to pay a penny for repair. It would be the seller's prerogative to just say please return it (which is the smart thing for them) -- there certainly are scammers out there that try to chisel some extra money back by claiming this or that which can't be proved without sending it back. Many sellers will not do price adjustments and demand keep it or return it.
07-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what fault could cause rapid battery drainage , but I would suggest using the camera first maybe set it in burst mode and see how many shots you get from a fresh set compaired to your existing one?

The battery meter even on the current models are a bit iffy as to their accuracy.

It's not uncommon to have a meter show half discharge and 5 minutes later show full again
07-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you checked to see what firmware it is running? Later firmware may address this problem.
Glenn
07-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I'm not sure what fault could cause rapid battery drainage , but I would suggest using the camera first maybe set it in burst mode and see how many shots you get from a fresh set compaired to your existing one?

The battery meter even on the current models are a bit iffy as to their accuracy.

It's not uncommon to have a meter show half discharge and 5 minutes later show full again
Yep, you hit the nail on the head when you said, "It's not uncommon to have a meter show half discharge and 5 minutes later show full again." After only five or six shots on a fresh set of batteries, it will show half-charge OR less, but, after it sits for a few minutes, it will again show full charge.

I think I'm just going to send it back and look elsewhere. As I said, "I don't need this headache!"

Thanks for all the great responses.

Dewman
Idaho
07-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not to belabor this issue, but here's the latest findings. Everything seems to be fine with the camera EXCEPT the low battery indication. Now, this could be caused by either one of the following:
A. A serious battery drain, in which case I DO NOT want the camera.
B. A faulty battery strength indicator, in which case I might have second thoughts about senting it back.... or
C. A series of bad batteries. I seriously doubt this. The odds of that are astronomical.

With a freshly charged set of AA Nickel Hydride batteries, it begins to show half strength after only 13 shots. After I let it sit for about 30 minutes, it will show full strength again. Then, I can repeat the process again with identical results. In one instance, I shot over 40 shots in rapid succession before it showed low battery. At other times, it shows low battery after as few as four shots. Using the flash seems to make no appreciable difference in its actions. I have taken the batteries out immediately after it shows low battery (fast drain) and they ARE NOT warm to the hand.

I have taken the batteries out that supposedly are low and tried them in my other K2000 and it shows them to be fine.

I'm beginning to think it's merely a faulty indicator and in that case, I might be inclined to keep the camera and just deal with it.

Oh, one other item. When I go to delete all photographs, it seems to take an extraordinarilily long time to accomplish this task. Much longer than my other K2000. MUCH longer!

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Dewman
Idaho

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 02:53 AM.
07-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Silly question, but what brand of batteries?

I had an enlightening experience after buying my K-30 that some brands of rechargeables are less than ideal. If the batteries are physically crap, they can cause mayhem with how the camera operates.

F'rinstance, it took me a while to figure out why my Rayovacs were causing my camera to shut down, have mirror slap, and were only lasting for a handful of shots.

Then I compared them to my other batteries and went 'oh'.