Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do not "format" the card! Try using a card reader and recovery software. I used Pandora recovery in the past, but there are many different softwares that you can try. Also, you might want to look for a local service. Some computer stores offer data recovery. You can ask them specifically what their process is. It might be the safest choice, just make sure you bring it to a reputable place
Sorry for your loss, hope you're doing okay or at least as good as possible

07-13-2014, 05:24 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I have not seen this mentioned but awhile back, before most PCs could address and read SD cards bigger than 2 GB there was a USB to SD reader hug at allowed downloading. It may simply be the reader in your pc

Edit note. Are the images visible on the camera when you press the review button? This will likely confirm the issue with reading memory cards and devices that are larger than 2GB.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 07-13-2014 at 05:32 AM.
07-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am very sorry for your loss.
Locking the card is the best advice you have been given. The rest I question.
It appears that the card is too new for your aged computing system to properly process.
I would advise contacting either a professional photographic service near you or a highly regarded IT services shop. Explain your situation and deadline and let them help you.
I am the executor of my father's estate and have learned that there are some time-dependent things one simply has to get help with and pay for.

M
07-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am so very sorry for your loss.

I have witnessed this same format request on an sd card in a computer and managed a workaround for it, this is my experience of it.

I placed the card straight from the camera into the computer and it said the card must be formatted and asked if I wanted to proceed, I refused, and put the card back in the camera and reviewed the contents, all the pictures were there and there were no errors shown on the camera.

I put the sd card straight back in the computer and this time it read the card with no errors and I could copy the contents to the computer.

It seems that some sd cards don't work well between camera and computer, and the act of merely reviewing the images in camera somehow makes the card work better in a computer. This has happened a few times and reviewing the images in camera always fixes for me. I cannot guarantee this is your issue or it will help, but it could be worth a try, especially if the images show up in camera.

The camera may have written something to the card to enable the card to work in the computer, so this might not work with write lock enabled on the card.

One word of warning, I allowed another photographer to review the images on my camera, and when he gave it back several images had been erased by him.

Don't let anyone touch the camera with the card in it even as much as to review the images, who isn't familiar with the camera and you have complete confidence in them.

07-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
One word of warning, I allowed another photographer to review the images on my camera, and when he gave it back several images had been erased by him.

Don't let anyone touch the camera with the card in it even as much as to review the images, who isn't familiar with the camera and you have complete confidence in them.
Seriously? Who does that? Were the images of them?
07-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Yes seriously,

The images weren't of him, he was an incompetent fool. There are incompetent fools out there, better safe than sorry.
07-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I'm sorry to read about your loss.

Have you tried reading the SD card on a Mac? There's a chance it may read it and understand it. If files were deleted then there is a way to undelete them as long as the card hasn't been written to. I undeleted some files from a SD card that I bought used. Not only did I get my own files back but I also got the previous owner's images too!
07-14-2014, 01:49 AM - 2 Likes   #23

Original Poster
UPDATE:
The problem was solved by taking the SD chip down to Walgreens. Walgreens made a photo CD of it for less than $4. All the photos were secure. Thanks goes out for everyone's help and kind concern.

07-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #24
PJ1
Site Supporter

Great news! I am glad you were able to salvage those memories.
07-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrSmokestoomuch Quote
UPDATE:
The problem was solved by taking the SD chip down to Walgreens. Walgreens made a photo CD of it for less than $4. All the photos were secure. Thanks goes out for everyone's help and kind concern.
This is good news, for your memories but what about a more permanent solution for the next chip. You need to get something that can read the chip reliably.

I know, one thing at a time.
07-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrSmokestoomuch Quote
As a new member, I'm sorry to begin my first post in such dire straights... but it is what it is.

My dear wife of 36 years died in a fatal accident on the afternoon of July 1st. There exists about a dozen photographs of her captured with a new K-30 (a camera I'm not very familiar with). These photos are the last we have of her from the past few years. These photos are extremely precious.

Of course, the photos are stored on a 64GB Ultra SanDisk SD memory card. I connected the camera (with SD chip inside), via the Pentax-supplied USB wire, to a Windows XP computer. No file shows up on the desk-top but when I try to open the "removable memory storage" file, listed under "My Computer", Windows sends an error message claiming the SD chip had never been formatted. Windows offers to re-format the chip but I'm affraid that would also destroy the photos.

Next, I connected the camera to a Linux computer and the K-30 photo file showed up on the Linux desktop, just as it should. But Linux recognizes the formatting as FAT-32, a Windows-only format.

I then removed the SD card from the camera and tried reading the SD card with a USB card reader... same result. Windows says it's not formatted. Linux says it's FAT-32, a Windows format that Linux can't read.

Please keep in mind that I am a complete newbee to this camera. I'm hoping there is something very simple that I'm doing wrong. My family and I would be overly greatful for any help offered. We need these photos in preparation for her memorial service on July 19th.
I'm very sorry for your loss. Glad to hear you've solved your problem.
07-16-2014, 05:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

For the future: if Linux can show you the photos, it understands the format of the disk and you will be able to copy them regardless of the used format.

Good luck in this difficult time.
07-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

FYI for future instances: SD cards larger than 4GB are formatted with exFAT. Windows XP cannot read exFAT by default. The solution is it to either take the card to a more modern version of Windows, or install the exFAT Driver update for Windows XP (Download Update for Windows XP (KB955704) from Official Microsoft Download Center).

The SD reader itself, as some have mentioned, also probably does not support 64GB files. Going to Walgreens was a great idea.

My condolences on your loss.
07-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Glad to hear that you were able to recover the pictures. Again, my sympathies for your loss.
07-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
FYI for future instances: SD cards larger than 4GB are formatted with exFAT. Windows XP cannot read exFAT by default. The solution is it to either take the card to a more modern version of Windows, or install the exFAT Driver update for Windows XP (Download Update for Windows XP (KB955704) from Official Microsoft Download Center).

The SD reader itself, as some have mentioned, also probably does not support 64GB files. Going to Walgreens was a great idea.

My condolences on your loss.
LOL... You must have missed my post on page 1...

No offense but Fyi..... SD cards larger than 32 GB are exFat not 4 GB.