Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I started a thread on Ricoh's forum to maybe attempt to get them to restore this functionality. If anyone used CIF with the back button like I did, feel free to comment and help me convince them to restore this. Thanks.

K-3 Back Button AF Bug - RIAC Community
I am not seeing that as a bug.... sorry.

12-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
It's not solely the AF button, but the CIF will be active if you hold the AF button while pressing the shutter button.
You lost me here. How is this different than regular CIF using the shutter button only?

Steve
12-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You lost me here. How is this different than regular CIF using the shutter button only?
No difference, except that when using the AF button you can choose whether or not you want to use CIF simply by pushing (or not) the AF button.

If you always have AF linked to the shutter button you can do the same by switching between MF and AF.S.

The main issue, IMO, for those using the AF button is that you have to reconfigure your button layout in order to use CIF. My workaround is dedicating a user mode to CIF.
12-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #19
Site Supporter

It's not solely the AF button, but the CIF will be active if you hold the AF button while pressing the shutter button.
I am still lost, but let me get this straight. The way I am reading your comment is that the K-5 supports an undocumented feature where AF+Shutter (both held down in that order) will allow CIF when AF is disabled for shutter button and AF-S (focus priority) is the mode. When I followed zosxavius' link, I read his complaint as that he expects CIF on the K-3 to be active using the AF button (held down) when AF is disabled for the shutter and AF-S (focus priority) is the mode.

What you describe would be a clever (if undocumented) feature. I am still not sure what zosxavius wants the camera to do.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-18-2014 at 01:30 PM.
12-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #20
Site Supporter

What you describe would be a clever (if undocumented) feature.
OK...this is what I did to attain switchable CIF on the K-3:
  • CIF enabled
  • AF-S (Shutter priority)
  • AF button customized to "Cancel AF" (AF with shutter release disabled when AF button pressed)
  • Press and hold AF button (disables CIF) followed by full press with shutter button
The shutter should release regardless of focus state. However, AF using the back button is no longer available. I believe that is zosxavius' complaint. The two states ("AF-2" and "Cancel AF") are mutually exclusive and are that way by design unlike on the K-5 where AF with the shutter button is a separate setting.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-18-2014 at 02:06 PM.
12-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter

OK...this is what I did to attain switchable CIF on the K-3:
  • CIF enabled
  • AF-S (Shutter priority)
  • AF button customized to "Cancel AF" (AF with shutter release disabled when AF button pressed)
  • Press and hold AF button (disables CIF) followed by full press with shutter button
The shutter should release regardless of focus state. However, AF using the back button is no longer available. I believe that is zosxavius' complaint. The two states ("AF-2" and "Cancel AF") are mutually exclusive and are that way by design unlike on the K-5 where AF with the shutter button is a separate setting.

Steve
I think you believe right on all points.

And yes, I think it would be a nice feature to have it the "K-5 way". But to me it's not the end of the world. As said, dedicating a user mode to CIF is an acceptable workaround IMO.
12-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter

My workaround is dedicating a user mode to CIF
Well, there you go! The multiple user modes seem to be a good workaround for so many sticky special configuration issues.

Steve
12-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #23
Site Supporter

And yes, I think it would be a nice feature to have it the "K-5 way".
It appears that the K-3 developers opted to explicitly make the "K-5 way" impossible. It seemed strange to me to find a shutter button customization feature under AF button in the menus.

Steve