Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Catch in Focus K-3 problem

I own a K-3 now for several month and have figured out most great features in it. A few days ago also I installed Firmware 1.10. That all went perfectly fine with no problems an now showing it within the camera. that it does in fact have Firmware 1.10 installed. My issue & problem: For weeks now I have not been able to get the "Catch-in Focus" (MENU C4, item #25.). I have tried numerous times including using actual Pentax brand lenses (several different ones). I also own Tamron and Sigma lenses as well, but again these lenses will NOTwork either.

Can anyone provide an the actual procedure and the steps to get "Catch-in Focus" to work as the manual says it should. I hope this is not bug in the K-3 and possibly will never work. If someone was in fact successful I'd like to know how it is done.

The K-3 is a great DSLR and people are just now getting to lean about the K-3.

Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon, TCerbo, Clearwater FL

Last edited by TCerbo; 07-13-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: A misspelled word and now corrected
07-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did CiF work before the firmware upgrade?

Steve
07-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Hi, you are trying with manual focus lenses? Autofocus lenses will only work with some extra work. And it will only work if the lens has a non-painted metal base.

Oh, and cif will work on the K-3 only with AF on half press of the shutter button, not if you use the back button AF only for auto focus.

Just checked, and it works fine with FW 1.10 and Pentax M 50/1.7.
07-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh, and cif will work on the K-3 only with AF on half press of the shutter button
I would suggest full press of the shutter button . It is also important to have the camera on AF.

Steve

07-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would suggest full press of the shutter button . It is also important to have the camera on AF.

Yes, indeed.
07-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Did CiF work before the firmware upgrade?

Steve
No it never worked. Tom

---------- Post added 07-13-2014 at 06:09 PM ----------

Hi, you are trying with manual focus lenses? Autofocus lenses will only work with some extra work. And it will only work if the lens has a non-painted metal base.

Oh, and cif will work on the K-3 only with AF on half press of the shutter button, not if you use the back button AF only for auto focus.

Just checked, and it works fine with FW 1.10 and Pentax M 50/1.7.
Can you describe exactly what I need to do to get CIT to work, in other words what lens did you use? It never worked either before or after FW 1.10 was installed so that is not the problem. Could you email me at PM may be easier for me to describe in emails all the details. Thanks Tom Cerbo

Last edited by photolady95; 07-13-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: removed email to protect from spammers
07-14-2014, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

I'll respond here so that others interested can find the info

First of all you will need a lens that is manual focus only - auto focus lenses are not supposed to work with CIF. No DA, DFA, FA, FAJ, or F lenses will work*, only A, M, K, and screwmount lenses will - and other older lenses of other makes. (See this explanation for info on types of lenses.)

Next you will need to enable the use of the aperture ring on the lens, explained here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html
This page will also explain need to be in M mode or Av mode to use these lenses.

Then you have to enable CIF (which you have already done).

Then make sure AF mode is enabled on the camera (even though the lens is manual focus).

Also make sure that, on menu page 4, "Button Customization", "AF Button " is set to "AF1".

...and CIF should work.

---

A few notes:
* Even manual focus lenses will not work if the mount plate is painted (such as my old Porst 55mm is). The camera needs to have certain of its pins shorted to know it has a lens mounted.
* AF lenses can be used for CIF, but it's less convenient. The easiest is probably to press and hold the lens release button to de-couple the AF drive and enable CIF. Just be careful so that your lens doesn't fall off in the process!

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have further questions!

* Edit: As Michael and snostorm adds below, auto focus lenses with an AF/MF switch will work with CIF.

Last edited by savoche; 12-18-2014 at 12:49 PM.
07-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Even manual focus lenses will not work if the mount plate is painted
...and such is the case for almost all M42 screwmount lenses.

Steve

07-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Auto-focus lenses with a AF/MF switch set to MF will indeed work with CIF. My DA* 60-250mm works just fine.

YMMV

Michael
07-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Auto-focus lenses with a AF/MF switch set to MF will indeed work with CIF. My DA* 60-250mm works just fine.

YMMV
Correct! I often shoot my FA* 300/4.5 this way, just have to pull back the focus ring to put the lens in MF mode so CIF (Focus Trap) will work.
07-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

TCerbo,
Is this your first Pentax DSLR? If so, it may (or not) be a user issue. FWIW, I Haven't had any issues using CIF with my K-3.
12-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Seriously? I can't use the back button for CIF on the K-3?? I just tried and it seems that is the way it is. I didn't discover this until today when I finally tried CIF on my K-3. On the K-5 it works great. Hold the back button and boom: instant CIF. Why the f*$@# would they change that???? The back button is perfect because then you can turn CIF on and off without having to dive into a menu. This seems like a bug. There is no reason engaging AF via the back button should disable CIF!
12-18-2014, 04:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I started a thread on Ricoh's forum to maybe attempt to get them to restore this functionality. If anyone used CIF with the back button like I did, feel free to comment and help me convince them to restore this. Thanks.

K-3 Back Button AF Bug - RIAC Community
12-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
This seems like a bug.
It is only a bug if it is a documented feature that does not work or a behavior that causes errors or places the system into an indeterminate state. CIF is one of those things that initially was an undocumented feature that was discovered by accident about six or seven years ago. It has only recently found a place in the Pentax user guides and camera configuration menus.

To be honest, I had never used CIF with the back button on my K10D and am surprised to hear that it worked with your K-5. After all, the back button is not the shutter release. If the back button worked for CIF on the K-5, I would call that an undocumented feature* and a fairly unpredictable one at that.

Steve

* It is not in the user manual

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-18-2014 at 08:58 AM.
12-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter

To be honest, I had never used CIF with the back button on my K10D and am surprised to hear that it worked with your K-5. After all, the back button is not the shutter release.
It's not solely the AF button, but the CIF will be active if you hold the AF button while pressing the shutter button. That way you can "disable" CIF simply by not pushing the AF button. Quite a nice feature - if Ricoh will let us have it.