Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Will not mount-> K mount Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Hi,
I got in on the K mount Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 deal from Adorama. However, it will not mount on to my K5... The box and rear cap show it is for Pentax and the mount looks like my other lenes. When I put the lens on the body, it will not rotate to lock. I looked at the flange and it looks fine, also read the manual and did not see anything different to mount this lens.

Did I get a bad lens?

Thanks.

07-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
do you mean that the mount is very stuff and it will not rotate? some lenses (especially those from third parties) tend to vary in this respect. when i first got might sigma 10-20 i had use considerable force to get it turn and "click-in". I was even concerned it might damage the mount. it loosened with time. however, the degree to which you should "force" it is very subjective. at some point it can become harmful to the body/lens.
07-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, very stiff... I did put some a little pressure on it and it would not rotate... did not want to damage the body.
07-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Closed Account

Yikes. Mine should be here this week (I went with the cheap shipping). I'll keep an eye on your thread to see if you come up with a resolution, or if you did indeed receive a problem child.

07-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My rokinon 8mm is definitely on the stiff side, but after the first few times it's reached a "this doesn't make me nervous" level of stiffness No idea why it started out stiff, or why it got better. I didn't feel any grinding, so I'm guessing it didn't lose any metal.

I have noticed that it's a lot harder to do when I'm outside in hot weather and it's been sitting there soaking up heat for a while. Not sure what the temps are there -- try popping an ice pack on the mount part of the lens for a few minutes and put it on? If that lets you turn it to locking and take it off again, at least you know it's capable of doing so... and maybe twisting it there a few times will help make it fit better in the future. Not sure.
07-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine was very stiff (had to apply quite a bit of rotational force to get it on) when I got it but over time it has loosened up to just "nicely firm".

It depends how tight the lens is on your camera as to whether you need to return it or not. If it does not rotate at all then obviously there is a problem.
07-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Samyang and it goes on K-5 without any problems, have a close look at the mount for any damage.
I always mount mine with Aperture set to "A" , not sure if that will make any difference.

07-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's help. Solved... tried it today and it went on very snugly. It appears the lens mount expanded during shipping from the heat. It's 95°F (35°C) here.
07-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Closed Account

Thanks for the update. It's been running close to 90 around here, as well, so I'll keep that in mind if I have issues too.
« lens | K3 lockup »