Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Firmware question.

If I understand it correctly, firmware is the internal "software" in the camera that is.... well, sorta' like it's brain, right?
So.... I have a K2000 which I assume still has it's original firmware. Should I be concerned about updating this? Or is this a dumb question and I'm showing my ignorance?

Thanks,
Dewman
Sweltering in SW Idaho

07-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're right, firmware is basically the software that runs inside the camera.

Generally speaking, entry-level models don't get much through firmware updates. In the K2000's case, it's only received a few minor additions and tweaks. Unless you're having memory card problems I'd just leave it alone.

If you do want to update, here's the firmware download page:
Latest K2000 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

And here's our firmware update guide:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Generally, firmware updates fix bugs, improve performance, and occasionally add new features. However, if you are completely satisfied with the performance and functionality of your camera, then there is no need to update. If you do decide to update, make sure that your battery is fully charged. There is always a slim possibility that you could render your camera unusable due to a failed firmware update.
07-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Firmware is not the brain or software as such although in effect it is software. Its a dataset that describes the hardware, its functionality features and use, and is much more basic than simple software and much more important so ill describe it.

The camera when you switch it on, for an instant is the dumbest creature from dumb town. It knows nothing and can do nothing.

It doesn't even know what it is.

The very first instruction that executes in the camera is to jump into the firmware rom and load whatever it finds there beginning at address 0.

It finds of course some data, this is the firmware, and it begins by saying something like, I am a camera model k1, I have input ports I have output ports, I have a memory card slot, and I can read memory cards of type 2 type 3 type 4 etc.

As it progresses loading the firmware instructions, it becomes progressively more knowledegeable about all the various controls and functionality that the camera is capable of, until finally on completion, it knows everything programmed into that version of the firmware, complete with bug fixes and upgrades.

So you can see two things,

1 The camera firmware is central to the function of the camera and nothing can operate until its successfully loaded.

2 If the firmware becomes corrupted or lost, the camera can never become a camera and is just so much junk, and can never function again.

This is why a failure in upgrading the firmware is so catastrophic that it is called bricking the camera., or in other words turning the camera into something with the functionality of a brick.

Current prices for repairing a bricked camera (corrupted or lost firmware) vary by model and by cost, from 300 dollars to 750 dollars.

Adam gave excellent advice, unless your having problems leave it alone.

Last edited by Imageman; 07-14-2014 at 09:17 PM.
07-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the great tutorial, Imageman! Now, I fully understand. Great job. Trust me, I WILL NOT be upgrading my firmware. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it!

Dewman
SW Idaho