Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma EF-500 Super PA flash for Pentax AF

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all forum members

The Sigma EF-500 Super PA flash for Pentax AF,

Will this work with my K3 or do I need to be aware of anything don't want to cause any damage to my K3, I'm bidding on this flash on fleabay

just wanted to double check here with the other users

Thanks in advance
Tom G

07-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The Sigma is a modern (post film era) design, so there's no reason for it not to be safe to use on your K3.
That said, have you given any thought to a flash that not only bounces/tilts, but also has a smaller fill flash? Here's an example by Metz: Metz 58 AF Digital Flash Gun for Pentax DSLR Cameras XX P17 0082966150326 | eBay

The reason for bounce/tilt is so that you can bounce the light off the ceiling or wall and get really soft lighting. The problem of bouncing of the ceiling is that a shadow is created under the brow and your subject's eyes a bit dead looking. The little built-in flash of the Metz throws in a little of fill light to get rid of the shadows created by the main light. But just as important, it also creates catch light in your subject's eyes making them come alive.
If you haven't won the eBay auction yet, then I'd highly encourage you to let it go and find a flash like the Metz that has that extra flash - it is a significant improvement - I'd wouldn't buy an on-camera flash without it.
07-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
The Sigma is a modern (post film era) design, so there's no reason for it not to be safe to use on your K3.
That said, have you given any thought to a flash that not only bounces/tilts, but also has a smaller fill flash? Here's an example by Metz: Metz 58 AF Digital Flash Gun for Pentax DSLR Cameras XX P17 0082966150326 | eBay

The reason for bounce/tilt is so that you can bounce the light off the ceiling or wall and get really soft lighting. The problem of bouncing of the ceiling is that a shadow is created under the brow and your subject's eyes a bit dead looking. The little built-in flash of the Metz throws in a little of fill light to get rid of the shadows created by the main light. But just as important, it also creates catch light in your subject's eyes making them come alive.
If you haven't won the eBay auction yet, then I'd highly encourage you to let it go and find a flash like the Metz that has that extra flash - it is a significant improvement - I'd wouldn't buy an on-camera flash without it.
Hi FrankC
thanks I will search fleabay again and get what you advise ((METZ 58-AF Digital Flash Gun for Pentax DSLR Cameras )

Thanks Tom G
07-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From this page:

The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

there is only one potential compatibility problem with the Sigma:

QuoteQuote:
These older flashes may need to be sent to Sigma for a free firmware upgrade for complete compatibility with current Pentax camera bodies.
The page is a good resource for the various features and options, though it is hard to decide how important the features really are.

07-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You can avoid the down time and the cost of having the factory update the firmware plus S/H by getting a flash that can have its firmware updated by the user. Such as the Metz 58 and it's soon-to-be-available replacement, the Mecablitz 64 AF-1

New flashes from Metz | Photo Rumors
07-17-2014, 03:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
You can avoid the down time and the cost of having the factory update the firmware plus S/H by getting a flash that can have its firmware updated by the user. Such as the Metz 58 and it's soon-to-be-available replacement, the Mecablitz 64 AF-1

New flashes from Metz | Photo Rumors
Hi again would this be a better flash for my K3 than the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread

METZ 58-AF Digital Flash Gun for Pentax DSLR Cameras - XX P17.

I can bid on this on fleabay what do others think between £60 and £80 i would expect

Tom G
07-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here's a fairly decent review of the flash - Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1 flash review (full version) @ PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com

I think a good read on this and other reviews will help you decide if it's the right one for you. Based on Metz's reputation for building rock-solid flashes and just by comparing specifications, I'd go with the Metz.