Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K5ii intervalometer stopping early

Attempting star trail shots, I've set my camera to shoot several hundred photos only to get anywhere from 15 to 67 in recent attempts. Several months ago I did not have this problem, so I assume one of two things is the culprit:

o Firmware updates
o hot/humid Summer is here

Last attempt, I sat and watched the camera. After 15th shot (of 50 or 100, can't remember) the camera gave its "shooting complete" message, no sort of error or anything else.

Settings:
ISO 640
15sec exposure
3sec delay/interval between shots
6MP JPG-only

Has anyone else had this issue?

Does the camera stop if the sensor gets too hot?

Will more info help? Ask away!

Thanks in advance!

07-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

It happens with both my K5 and my K-01 and annoys me.
07-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd try setting your camera just like you normally would, but instead of a the typical shutter speed, set it for something 1/500 and see if it fails. If it does, then there's something wrong with the camera. If not, then I think your suspicions about the sensor overheating with long exposures are probably correct.
07-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Smart

thank you FrankC --- didn't even occur to me to try that!

On the other hand, though, i'm almost afraid to try and then find my camera is on the fritz.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow sometime and report back.

07-17-2014, 02:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

15 sec exposure with 3 second delay... so you have the camera set for 18 second interval?
Not accusing anyone of being as naive as I was, but my first assumption was that the interval was delay between shots.... I quickly found it is not.
Just making sure. :-)

I've not had a problem when I've allowed for at least a two second buffer between shots.
With 30 second exposure and 31 second intervals I got about 70 out of 99 shots. So the timers appear to be a little poor and more than one second is required between shots. I would have thought that three seconds between should be plenty.

Last edited by amoringello; 07-17-2014 at 02:49 AM.
07-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have this going off with 1/250 exposures in the background right now, and it seems there are some 200 shots left (probably 195 by time I finish this sentence).
It seems maybe the heat thing is the issue. Maybe.

There has been rain the past couple of days, so we've cooled down a lot here. Earlier the clouds broke, so there are even clear skies right now. I just might set this up for a few hundred shots tonight. Maybe I'll get 3/4 of them before the camera quits.

Funny, I just discovered: if you move either dial or press any button during intervalometer shooting, it will give you status of remaining shots.
I'm not trying to use that during 400 15-second shots in the middle of the night though, but that would have been helpful during my 100-shot test last week.

...and after editing this post somewhat, the camera is done now. I have 400 really dark shots of a bunch of nothing going on in this room. Damn. LOL

---------- Post added 07-19-2014 at 06:15 PM ----------

I just realized the ISO was set to 160 (I shot other things between last week and today), so this "test" wasn't as exacting as I would have liked.

Just changed the camera to ISO 800 and set it to shoot another 400 images.
I'll report back later.
07-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Second test (400 images, ISO 800, 1/250) went OK, so I setup the camera outside where it is maybe 74 degrees with little humidity. Went with 500 images, ISO 800, 10 seconds.

Just checked the camera and found it was no longer shooting.
Doing the math, I got ~125 shots out of 500.

Annoying.

---------- Post added 07-19-2014 at 08:28 PM ----------

...and I should learn to refresh web pages, because I just barely saw your post, amoringello. I think you might have nailed it. I just snuck back outside after setting up 18 second intervals, so we'll see what I have in the morning.
07-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
SUCCESS -- sort of

This morning I found some 313 shots and a dead battery, so I think had a had a full charge I would have had all 500 shots.

I feel foolish, because that seemed to solve the problem (my intervals were not longer than my shots, so I was "losing" intervals during shots), yet I think I have had to re/learn this every time I attempted star trails; my brain just refuses to retain this info. LOL

Thanks for the help, all.

Maybe that solves your issue also, VoiceOfReason?

---------- Post added 07-20-2014 at 06:59 AM ----------

07-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xixco Quote
I feel foolish, because that seemed to solve the problem (my intervals were not longer than my shots, so I was "losing" intervals during shots), yet I think I have had to re/learn this every time I attempted star trails; my brain just refuses to retain this info. LOL
Glad that solved it.