Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
For me it wasn' concern about cleaning it (as I posted, I tried cleaning it with a lenspen before I posted and that did nothing, so I assumed the coating was damaged). The lesson for me was lenspens, while handy, aren't a substitute for lens cleaning fluid. Sprayed some on a cotton t-shirt and gently wiped the spots off, and all was well.

Thanks again for suggesting I try again. Worked out perfectly.
Lenspen will work for fingerprints and some stubborn marks (with a little extra rubbing), but not surprising a sneeze needed something wet (your breath and microfiber probably would have worked too)...

07-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Why is everyone so paranoid about cleaning lenses? It is incredibly hard to scratch these modern coatings. If it has got gunk on it, clean it off, good as new.
I have to disagree, I just used a lens pen as light as a feather to clean my 35mm/2.4 and it got a few micro scratches on the rear.
07-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
I have to disagree, I just used a lens pen as light as a feather to clean my 35mm/2.4 and it got a few micro scratches on the rear.
There is no way you scratched your lens with a lenspen unless it had metal shavings or broken glass on it or something. Either the scratches were there already or they aren't really scratches and you in fact need to rub harder. In any case, if you have to search for them with a flashlight, they aren't going to degrade your image...
07-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Ive found that even a quick huh huh(breath) then clean t-shirt wipe will clear spots otherwise unaffected by cleaners.

07-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
There is no way you scratched your lens with a lenspen unless it had metal shavings or broken glass on it or something. Either the scratches were there already or they aren't really scratches and you in fact need to rub harder. In any case, if you have to search for them with a flashlight, they aren't going to degrade your image...
The lens was bought new, and I don't remember seeing any scratches. I was careful to clean them, and made sure there was nothing on the glass or pen that would bring harm to the element. I wish I could share your confidence, but I feel it's too risky to clean another lens again.
07-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The lens was bought new, and I don't remember seeing any scratches. I was careful to clean them, and made sure there was nothing on the glass or pen that would bring harm to the element. I wish I could share your confidence, but I feel it's too risky to clean another lens again.
Well, generally they won't need it, especially on the rear, but if you do get some potentially scratching grit on there (which needs to be blown off) or some oil that may degrade the coating over time, it would be risky not to clean it. But seriously, you cannot scratch a lens with a lenspen. Even if the pad fell off (which they do eventually) and you were just rubbing the plastic on there I doubt you could scratch it -- they got there some other way, or they aren't scratches at all -- it can be surprising what looks like damage but can in fact be cleaned off. If they were THAT fragile, they wouldn't be able to sell the things because they'd all be scratched for everybody...
07-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But seriously, you cannot scratch a lens with a lenspen.
You keep saying that, but I am having a hard time visualizing how this might be so. Does the pad levitate above the lens surface in some way so that the pressure applied while rubbing (harder) does not grind any grit embedded in the booger (or whatever) onto the surface of the glass?

I know the Lens Pen is a well-regarded product, but they are careful to note on their Web site and on the product instructions that it is intended for removal of dust and/or fingerprints.* The lens pen head is intended to work with oily stuff. Boogers are not oily.

Steve

* From lenspen.com home page: "OUR COMPANY DOES ONE THING: We Make Products That Remove Fingerprints."
07-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I've cleaned every lens I've ever owned with a bit of lens paper and a drop of lens cleaner, followed by a light rub with a clean bit of lens paper. I've always blown off loose dust before doing the lens paper and cleaner thing. I've never managed to scratch a lens or damage a coating on a rear element using this method, and I've been doing it for 30 years. At times where I've run out of lens paper and lens cleaner, I've used a rolled up bit of soft, clean, tissue paper, torn in half to create a little brush, and I've used one half wet with a drop of distilled water and the other half dry afterwards to buff dry. I never re-use the lens paper, always use a new piece.

Never in 30 years have these methods scratched a lens or damaged a coating. I do not own a lens pen so I can;t comment on that method.

07-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You keep saying that, but I am having a hard time visualizing how this might be so. Does the pad levitate above the lens surface in some way so that the pressure applied while rubbing (harder) does not grind any grit embedded in the booger (or whatever) onto the surface of the glass?
Well that would be scratching it with the grit, not the lenspen per se. Obviously if you have something hard that is capable of creating scratches on the lens surface (like metal shavings or broken glass bits or tiny sand or something -- not just a few specks of common dust) and then you rub that into the glass with ANYTHING, you might make some scratches. But the lenspen itself you can rub it all day on there and not scratch anything.

The guy who sneezed and the guy who said the lenspen scratched his lens are different guys -- the guy who is claiming damage from the lenspen said he got a fingerprint on the rear, that's all. (And we're combining complaints from different threads here.) Although I doubt anything anyone is going to sneeze is going to be able to scratch a lens either, a lenspen isn't really appropriate for that -- needs something wet.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 07-18-2014 at 03:01 PM.
07-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #25
Site Supporter

not just a few specks of common dust
...the common dust in my house is mostly pulverized dirt and my dirt is mostly clay derived from volcanic tufa (mostly silica), so perhaps I am particularly sensitive to the potential for scratches from dust. We also have the remnants of the volcano floating around.

The guy who sneezed and the guy who said the lenspen scratched his lens are different guys -- the guy who is claiming damage from the lenspen said he got a fingerprint on the rear, that's all. (And we're combining complaints from different threads here.)
You know, you're right

I have trouble keeping some of these threads straight when people cross post.

Steve
07-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I was going nuts trying to figure out why I had a lens that was flaring crazily until I realized I'd somehow acquired a greasy streak across my rear element. If you have any sort of potential flaring, a dirty rear element will immediately make itself known.

It was kind of a nifty effect, but wasn't exactly something I was looking for at the time.

In my case, a bit of alcohol and a Q-tip fixed the issue just fine. It was one of my cheap-o used lenses (paid $20 or so for it) so I wasn't quite as wary of damage as I would have been with a more expensive lens.