Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am thoroughly confused!

I scanned an old B&W negative on my Epson V-500 scanner and it was automatically saved in "My Pictures" file as a jpeg image and it appears as shown in the screen capture as shown. However, when I bring it up in Corel Paint Shop Pro, it gives me the command prompt shown. Then, when I click on "OK," it comes up as shown in the other photo.... nothing but B&W verticle lines. ???? In another PP program I have, it comes up as a totally white screen.

Also, I'd like to "burn in" the lighter areas of the hat. If it were the olden darkroom days, it would be no problem, but I have no idea how to do it digitally. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I also have an older copy of Photoshop, version 5.5, IIRC.

Does anyone have any ideas what is happening and how I can rectify the problem?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Dewman
SW Idaho

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 02:48 AM.
07-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say you have either a PSP or scanner configuration issue. The embedded color space in the scanned file is "Grayscale-20% dot gain" (whatever that is), but PSP is configured to use sRBG as its default for JPEG. That is why you are getting the message.

I would suggest first taking PSP out of the loop by attempting to view the file into a color space aware web browser (say Firefox or Chrome). Simply drag the file onto the browser icon on your desktop or onto an open browser window. That will tell you whether the scan is good.

You may have guessed that I suspect that the fault lies with the scan. You may want to provide the details regarding scanning software and scan settings. You may also want to provide a link (don't attach) to the scanned image in question.

Steve

BTW...the "lines" image appears to be the very last row of pixels stretched to the defined image dimensions.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-18-2014 at 01:09 PM.
07-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve, thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the scan is good because the screen capture I showed in my OP was a direct capture from "My Pictures" file. Also, when I try to bring the image up in my Olympus Viewer II PP software, it shows as a completely white image.... nothing BUT white, not even verticle B&W lines. I can bring up the image in a couple of other minor software programs I have, Print Shop, etc. with no problems. Strangely, it I bring it up in Print Shop, then "Save As," I can THEN bring it up in PSP. Also, I have NO problem bringing the image up in Photoshop, but it first tells me that it needs to be "converted," before it is visable.

So..... I'll just leave PSP out of the loop for the time being and work with Photoshop. This brings me to my other question. How can I "burn in" the light areas - the missing detail - of the hat? Is this something I need (or CAN) do during the scan? It would seem that if the detail was missing in the scanned image, it is, for all intents and purposes, gone with the wind, correct?

Thanks
Dewman

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would say you have either a PSP or scanner configuration issue. The embedded color space in the scanned file is "Grayscale-20% dot gain" (whatever that is), but PSP is configured to use sRBG as its default for JPEG. That is why you are getting the message.

I would suggest first taking PSP out of the loop by attempting to view the file into a color space aware web browser (say Firefox or Chrome). Simply drag the file onto the browser icon on your desktop or onto an open browser window. That will tell you whether the scan is good.

You may have guessed that I suspect that the fault lies with the scan. You may want to provide the details regarding scanning software and scan settings. You may also want to provide a link (don't attach) to the scanned image in question.

Steve

BTW...the "lines" image appears to be the very last row of pixels stretched to the defined image dimensions.
07-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
the screen capture I showed in my OP was a direct capture from "My Pictures" file.
Screen capture? I figured that probably was the case. What software did you use to display the image? If the file is good, why not just upload it here? The exif may be of some use in debugging your problem.

The fact that you are having trouble with two image processing products indicates an issue with the file and since the file was made by you, it is a reasonable assumption that there is a problem with the scan. The colorspace warning may be a strong clue, but then again, maybe not. Now you are perfectly free to spend a considerable amount of time trying to find a PP tool that will not barf, but I am pretty confident that the issue lies with the file and how it was made.

Steve

P.S. Tuco is correct. You should be scanning to TIFF with a minimum of 16-bit B&W. There is also the matter of color space, but without knowing what scanner software you are using, we cannot give you advice as to how to check the settings.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-18-2014 at 01:56 PM.
07-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will see if I can produce a TIFF or DNG file and tinker around with it. I've improved the washed out image by scanning the negative with a different GAMA setting and it helped considerably. A little PP in Photoshop and it's more to my satisfacion. The image was uploaded directly from "My Pictures" file, not a screen capture. So much to learn!

Thanks
Dewman

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You have a level of "burn/dodge" control in an image editor way beyond what you could do in the darkroom. Teaching you how to do that is not a simple thing. You'll have to learn about adjusting the contrast curve and masking by either reading online tutorials or watching Youtube videos on the various techniques.

But first you need to learn to scan a file in, say, 16 bit BW ( for a BW negative) or perhaps 48 bit color for a color negative and produce a TIFF or DNG file. These files are way more editable than a JPEG.

Last edited by Dewman; 12-16-2014 at 02:49 AM.
07-19-2014, 03:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Perhaps I can help

I have used PSP since version 8

PM me and you can send the JPEG file you are having an issue with and I will look at it. I have used canon, HP and. Minota scanners with PSP and not had any problem scanning directly into PSP
07-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The V500 lets you choose from a good range of saving formats, including TIFF, check it out in the preview window, and a number of color /bw/grey scale options, I'd say you have something conflicting that will be solved with a bit of experimentation.