Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote
DA 18 - 55 mm AL WR and DA 50-200 f/4-5.6 ED WR in one package
Do not disregard this option. It is a good pair to start with.

Some my 'interesting' shots with the DA18-55 WR and some recent ones with it. 'Interesting' ones with the DA50-200 WR and some recent ones. All should have the full size image accessible on Flickr. Feel free to pixel-peep

07-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Do not disregard this option. It is a good pair to start with.

Some my 'interesting' shots with the DA18-55 WR and some recent ones with it. 'Interesting' ones with the DA50-200 WR and some recent ones. All should have the full size image accessible on Flickr. Feel free to pixel-peep

Some great photos there!!! Thanks for sharing!

Yesterday I checked some x20 photos on flickr and it is liek you guys were saying... I mean I knew that most of the work is done by a photographer but I saw many many many photos that I couldn't believe were made with x20... just stunning...

All in all we will see what near future will bring
07-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #33

Yea guys it is slowly getting to me... I am chasing something that is barely posible with top gear...

Thank you for all this input. I really appreciate it!

Hopefully I will post my own shots with k-30 soon
Don't only think that it is the only reasonable thing to do. If you buy the camera/lens, do it with your whole heart - the camera has much to like about it. The lens also does. If you are willing to spend money, this camera won't disappoint. Be excited for it and you'll surely get some great use out of it. From what I've read, if the greens aren't turning out, you could buy a good polarizing filter which may help the greens appear more attractive, or perhaps even a gently colored filter to bring out more green! Best of luck to you!
07-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the 18-135mm, it's a good weatherproof zoom kit. Perfect for figuring out what you want to get better at.

Keep your eyes open for old manual K-mount lenses. M50 f/2 was an old kit lens, you can get it for $5. Or find an A50 f1.7 even better. If you have the time to set up your shots these lenses will shine. If you don't have time -that's what the quick focus zoom is for.

Once you figure out what you like I suspect the inexpensive DA35mm will be your first prime, and it's a nice one for a starter.

07-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Get the 18-135mm, it's a good weatherproof zoom kit. Perfect for figuring out what you want to get better at.

Keep your eyes open for old manual K-mount lenses. M50 f/2 was an old kit lens, you can get it for $5. Or find an A50 f1.7 even better. If you have the time to set up your shots these lenses will shine. If you don't have time -that's what the quick focus zoom is for.

Once you figure out what you like I suspect the inexpensive DA35mm will be your first prime, and it's a nice one for a starter.

I can get new m50 f/2 lenses for ~50$
SMC PENTAX-M 50/2 (4459879709) - Allegro.pl - Wi?cej ni? aukcje.

I was just checking pentax lenses availability in my country and found these.

I am still waiting for the answer from a friend of my grandfather who is trying to get a better price on my k-30.

A50 f1.7
used for 80$
http://allegro.pl/smc-pentax-a-50-f1-7-styki-wawa-i4452487128.html

It is a real test of my "do I really want a camera" thing. Waiting for almost 2 weeks already... xD everyday I compare new cameras vs k-30 and I haven't found anything that would change my mind.
07-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Those prices would be high here in the US, but I don't know the situation in Poland.
The A50 is more convenient and a bit better than the M50 - though at $80 it's getting close to the price you can consider autofocus options like the newer DA50, used of course (in the US of course).

Both 50mm lenses above are good, I have some great shots with an M50 f/2 - the glass is good but of course it's not as convenient as the A50 which allows the camera to control the aperture.
08-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #37

Original Poster
Those prices would be high here in the US, but I don't know the situation in Poland.
The A50 is more convenient and a bit better than the M50 - though at $80 it's getting close to the price you can consider autofocus options like the newer DA50, used of course (in the US of course).

Both 50mm lenses above are good, I have some great shots with an M50 f/2 - the glass is good but of course it's not as convenient as the A50 which allows the camera to control the aperture.
I am planing on to shoot only in manual mode anyways(I have been doing so with x20 and I loved it). Will camera show proper metering with these old lenses? When I will use ring on lens to set aperature etc?

I would also like to ask about some technical thing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertmwilliams/7578049522
https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertmwilliams/7625560542

How the hell can you get such a zoom !? It was shot with kit lenses too

But what really boggle my mind is how the hell do you catch something like that:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itrax/8440017565

How do you even see something liek that and still be able to shoot it...

and the most mysterious thing is how do you focus on somethign that fast and that small?

Last edited by tgchan; 08-01-2014 at 02:07 AM. Reason: adding some more text.
08-01-2014, 05:22 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

When I've caught insects in flight -hoverflies and wool carder bees which hover, it's by staking out an area and waiting. Prefocus on that spot and shoot when the insect is in the spot. This is easily done with manual focus - only done with manual focus...whether with an autofocus or manual lens.

Metering is something you'll need to get used to, either use the green button to meter and stop down or go old school and do all the work yourself. This is where the A series is easier, it lets you use the automatic metering setup in the camera. But really, just like an old film body the camera gives you all the information you need.

On the Robert Williams shots, he's using the DA 18-135. It's pretty good, and gives plenty of reach for insect shots. Generally I'll use the 100mm macro for those shots, but with dragonflies and butterflies most zooms will do well enough. The hard part is not spooking the dragonfly, so a little reach is good. That 18-135 is really a good all-around lens, but if you want to find a lower cost option look for one of the 28-105 lenses, they're sharp, light, and inexpensive. I have a Promaster I got for free with a camera body and am quite impressed at 70mm.

08-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #39
Forum Member

How the hell can you get such a zoom !? It was shot with kit lenses too
any 135 FL lens do that with ease, harder is get good light.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itrax/8440017565 How do you even see something like that and still be able to shoot it...
this one can flay several seconds in one place, move fast 15 -200 cm and repeat standing behaviour, sometimes they fly quite close if you sit or stand and do not make fast movements.
so it is very possible to shoot even on 55mm kit lens. just a bit patience.

what takes on dragonflies, they live on/near waters, riversides and move in 50-200m narrow corridors, depending on species. that mean, they return if you wait long enough.
08-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Carry and use a tripod. Focus carefully with live view. Stop down to f8. You will be happy no matter what lens you buy.
And do not forget a polarizing filter for landscapes..... so handy MOST of the times
08-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #41

Original Poster
Hey guys can you tell me what are my other option for walk around lenses except for the DA 18 - 135 mm ED AL IF DC WR.

I was reading few reviews and I am a little afraid I won't be happy from the image quality :/// especially knowing that there are often better and worse lenses of same kind.

Is there anything better and universal in your opinion than this lense?
08-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

If you look at the thread for that 18-135 you'll find it's quite capable. Better than the longer zooms like the 18-200, 18-250 etc. lenses. Its motor is also super quick and tracks well, which is not something to quickly discount - it does make a big difference.

Look for 17-70 or 17-50 for some good quality zooms, there are also some 28-105s out there, but you'll have to do some research for those. I found a Promaster one a while ago which is good, but not built nearly as robustly as the 18-135.

If you want to spend more money, look for the 16-50* lens. I'm sure there are some others.

As for insects in flight - you're going to look for the predictable ones. Hoverflies, damselflies and dragonflies often patrol an area, you will be able to wait for them to pass through a specific spot. Some are very territorial, too. Trying to get a random insect buzzing past is probably close to futile. Sometimes you can stage a shot if you have help.
08-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #43
Pentaxian

The best way to evaluate a lens is to own it and shoot with it for a while. It puts some pressure on you, because if you aren't very good, a lens won't make you better. And the lens has to work. Settle those potential problems first and see what your shots look like. Use the capabilities of the lens that you didn't have before. Compare it to what you used previously. Invent some new shots. See if you can find flaws.

I've done a challenge where I used the same lens every day for a month. I usually take a thousand shots. The challenge gets me shooting, using the lens and evaluating it daily. Maybe you won't need a whole month. Stop when you have learned enough.

Then you can always sell the lens if it didn't work for you. You'll have plenty of sample shots for the sale listing. You should have a better idea of what to buy next.
08-06-2014, 02:12 AM   #44
Forum Member

Hey guys can you tell me what are my other option for walk around lenses except for the DA 18 - 135 mm ED AL IF DC WR. I was reading few reviews and I am a little afraid I won't be happy from the image quality :/// especially knowing that there are often better and worse lenses of same kind. Is there anything better and universal in your opinion than this lense?
in very similar situation, seeking up for better kit lens replacement, i decided finally Sigma 17-50 EX f2.8 - the so called old version, and not from contemporary series from sigma. I wanted replacement for kit, DA18-135 would be excellent as general usability, bat i wanted more sharpness. i lost ability to control it manually choosing this one, because this sigma does not provide manual focus override. it shoult be sharper than 17-70 from sigma whose pictures for some reason examples taken by other persons looked blunt, better color for my taste than tamron 17-50, excluded sigma art 15-35 as being too massive and too short FL for walk around zoom.

i took some 1600 test pictures with DA20-40 (was bad -too bright weather), it was very good at handling, better than most alternatives by far, but i did'nt see so much pop i wanted for price difference comparing it to my modest kit-lens, sorry. yes it is better, sharper around 20-30% at 100% zoom, but i can always have it later or go primes.

all those zoom lenses are quite big, so is DA16-45, DA17-50, any sigma, Tamron
also got quite good price for sigma 399 EUR here as new. If i dislike it and can not accommodate to, i will sell it in some 6 months and give next one a try.
There are not too much options.

My friend shoots with old Olympus E620 with some very good 14-42 lens on it. She beats out most canonicals by far, just regularly shooting this one single lens all time on 6 years old 12 MP camera, gets explored once a week and takes shots i can not repeat in any means with my more advanced " gear ... you can check her out here https://www.flickr.com/photos/46785534@N06/
You can try some Olympus Zuiko as alternative... but sorry man, decide something and do not waste your time just to choosing endlessly.

Look for 17-70 or 17-50 for some good quality zooms, there are also some 28-105s out there, but you'll have to do some research for those. I found a Promaster one a while ago which is good, but not built nearly as robustly as the 18-135. If you want to spend more money, look for the 16-50* lens. I'm sure there are some others. As for insects in flight - you're going to look for the predictable ones. Hoverflies, damselflies and dragonflies often patrol an area, you will be able to wait for them to pass through a specific spot. Some are very territorial, too. Trying to get a random insect buzzing past is probably close to futile. Sometimes you can stage a shot if you have help.
overall very good advice given worth every word spoken (exactly how i did actually myself)
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The best way to evaluate a lens is to own it and shoot with it for a while. It puts some pressure on you, because if you aren't very good, a lens won't make you better. And the lens has to work. Settle those potential problems first and see what your shots look like. Use the capabilities of the lens that you didn't have before. Compare it to what you used previously. Invent some new shots. See if you can find flaws. I've done a challenge where I used the same lens every day for a month. I usually take a thousand shots. The challenge gets me shooting, using the lens and evaluating it daily. Maybe you won't need a whole month. Stop when you have learned enough. Then you can always sell the lens if it didn't work for you. You'll have plenty of sample shots for the sale listing. You should have a better idea of what to buy next.
Another very realistic point
08-06-2014, 02:28 AM   #45

Original Poster
Thank you guys! once again you have been very helpful.

yes this waiting drives me crazy... I already got nice discount on that package but I mat have even better one by the end of this week. So this week is my deadline ;p