Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4...lever sticks

Just picked this lens up on the nice deal that was posted a week or so ago. Already had some concerns right out of the box with how snug it fits the body, the major league green/purple fringing in most shots under f/2.8, and the soft kind of grinding feel it makes towards one end of the focus ring while turning. So I was out in the yard this morning, tons of sun, shooting in AV mode. I started noticing that as I stopped down beyond f/4, things started getting...over-exposed. By f/12, I was looking at basically a white screen when reviewing shots. Started shooting in manual mode (to see if it was a metering/electronics thing), and I had the same results, noticing that the light meter was buried to one side. I went ahead and removed the lens, again noticed how much force I needed to use to get it off (about 65* outside, so not a metal expansion thing), and saw that the aperture was wide open, despite being set at f/12. Tried moving the lever, but no go. Fiddled with it some more, and it finally popped. Seemed okay, took a few shots, metering was normal now. However, I noticed tonight when I removed the lens again -- lever stuck.

I'm new to all of this, so need some advice. Is there something I can do to "break the lever in", or maybe bend it slightly? I understand that it's not of the quality that we take for granted with Pentax, Sigma, and Tamron, but between the weird sound the focus ring makes (doesn't seem to affect the ability to focus...at this point), and now the aperture lever...feel like I picked up a lemon. Very highly rated lens, and after I remove all of the fringing, I'm liking what it gives me. Just need some advice on whether I should be concerned about the focus ring, and if there's anything I can do about the aperture lever.

Thanks for the assist.

07-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If this is new I would send it back. If you are considering bending the lever within the guarantee period in order for it to work properly there is something wrong.
07-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't bend anything. Send the lens back to the seller.
  • There should be no grinding
  • The aperture actuator should open/shut the aperture with little or no effort and the action should be snappy
Samyang lenses are sort of an enigma in that they are generally well-made with very decent optics, but assembly issues are rather common. Apparently final stage inspection is not very comprehensive and a fair amount of defective product goes out the door. A reputable dealer will replace with no questions asked and cover all shipping expenses. If you bought the lens used with these problems, you should insist that the seller accept the lens back and reimburse your full expenses including return shipping. If the seller balks, initiate a PayPal or credit card dispute immediately.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-20-2014 at 08:08 PM.
07-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. Looking back a few hours later, I probably shouldn't have even asked the questions here, as the solution is obvious. They just show as being OOS on the Pentax mount, and was hoping for a fix that would allow me to just hold on to it. The dealer was Adorama, and I purchased it new on the $199 deal a couple weeks ago. The buyer has to pay all costs on returns, and they require it to be insured. Grouches me out, considering they sent it to me in an oversized, thin bubble mailer.

Thanks again -- it's going back tomorrow.

07-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
The dealer was Adorama, and I purchased it new on the $199 deal a couple weeks ago. The buyer has to pay all costs on returns, and they require it to be insured. Grouches me out, considering they sent it to me in an oversized, thin bubble mailer.
?????

That does not sound like Adorama! They usually double box a lens, even a small one, and I have never had to pay return postage on return of a defective item. PF user Helen Oster is Adorama's presence on this site. You might want to PM her in regards to your problem.

Steve